1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation - do you have to call or just believe?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by boogie, Jan 30, 2002.

1. boogie

boogie Guest

Is there a specific ingredient in "getting saved", or does one just believe? What about all the catchy phrases we use today like, "ask Jesus into your heart", or give Jesus your life" etc.

2. MarciontheModerateBaptist

Personally, I think the church has watered down what it means to be a Christian so much that it really doesn't mean anything at all anymore. It has become a giver of cheap grace. Jesus says "narrow is the road and hard is the way, and few there be who find it." Works are not a prerequisite for salvation, but Christianity is a way of life, not just a mental assent to a set of doctrines. If a godly life (or the desire for a godly life) do not follow the "salvation experience", then it is probably safe to assume there has been no experience.

Daniel Payne

3. boogie

boogie Guest

True, but you did not answer my question.

4. MarciontheModerateBaptist

OK - there are no specific "ingredients" other than repentance and sincerity.

Daniel

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: paynedaniel ]

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Er, repentance and faith. Alot of people are going to sincerely go to hell. [​IMG]

6. MarciontheModerateBaptist

Sincerity of faith.

Daniel Payne

7. MarciontheModerateBaptist

Faith has become an empty word.

Daniel Payne

8. Searcher

Searcher New Member

The theif on the cross didn't chant a salvation mantra. His one remark carried sincere faith and repentance, and was enough.

Searcher.

9. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Matthew 7:22-23 (ESV)
    22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out s in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

"Getting saved" is all about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Those who are departed from Him "on that day" (day of judgment) Jesus never knew. In other words they never sought Him to have a relationship.

God says through the prophet Jeremiah, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV) It takes a humble, surrendered heart to "seek Him."

Bottom line: you can go to church every time the doors open; you can serve on every committee and project the church has, you can give a million dollars a year, but if you don't have a relationship with Jesus you will be departed from Him at judgment.

10. jcadden

jcadden New Member

And that relationship comes from opening the door and letting Jesus come into your heart, I know that is exactly the kind of catch phrase that was mentioned earlier but like someone already mentioned the Thief on the cross knew Jesus for next to no time at all and was with Jesus in Paradise.

Sometimes I think we want to make things too hard. The "ball" that we drop is in training new Christians to live the life that they should

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Believe, believe, and believe. It is repeated and repeated throughout the Book, and nothing is added to it. True, that other things follow that prove that your belief is sincere, but the scriptures say Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Believe, believe on his name, the law of faith, he that believeth on the Son, he that believeth on the Son of God, etc..
    I am of the personal opinion that ANYONE CAN FEEL SORRY FOR THEIR SINS WITHOUT BELIEVING IN JESUS CHRIST. Go ahead and repent and pray, but if you don't have a true belief in Jesus Christ YOU STILL ARE NOT SAVED and this a very major reason why we have DEAD churches today. Emotional pleas from pastors evoking confessions of guilt that lead people down to the altar to confess it all and seek to find peace, but it's false reassurance if it doesn't come from FAITH AND BELIEF on Jesus Christ.
    da Gina-outta-breath

12. FaithRemains

FaithRemains New Member

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. Very simple. If anyone can find one instance in the Bible of a person "asking Jesus into thier heart" or praying for salvation, please let me know.

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Joshua2415 ]

13. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

Read Romans 10 v 13; there has to be a heartfelt calling upon the Lord, not just an empty belief. After all, "the devils also believe and tremble" James 2 v 19

Kind regards

RJH [​IMG]

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What do the devils believe Mr. Hutton?
    da Gina

15. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Romans 10:9 (ESV)
    because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

That confession is that Jesus is Lord God Jehovah; Creator and Redeemer and Lord of all creation. Mere assent to the facts of truth is not saving faith. One must believe the facts of who Christ is, what he has done for sinners, and then a clinging to him in spirit and truth. It means a repentance of sins, and putting all trust wholly in Christ and Christ alone. One must love the Lord God (Christ) with all of their heart soul and mind.

As MacArthur states:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> [It is] not a simple acknowledgment that He is God and the Lord of the universe, since even demons acknowledge that to be true (James 2:19). This is the deep personal conviction, without reservation, that Jesus is that person’s own master or sovereign. This phrase includes repenting from sin, trusting in Jesus for salvation, and submitting to Him as Lord. This is the volitional element of faith ... Christ’s resurrection was the supreme validation of His ministry (cf. John 2:18–21). Belief in it is necessary for salvation because it proved that Christ is who He claimed to be and that the Father had accepted His sacrifice in the place of sinners (4:24; cf. Acts 13:32, 33; 1 Pet. 1:3, 4). Without the resurrection, there is no salvation (1 Cor. 15:14–17).... 10:10 confession. This Gr. word basically means to say the same thing, or to be in agreement with someone. The person who confesses Jesus as Lord (v. 9), agrees with the Father’s declaration that Jesus is Savior and Lord. (MacArthur Study Bible, 1997) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Temple ]

16. Chet

Chet New Member

Acts 16:29-31
    And the jailer called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas. Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
    (ESV)

Truthseeker, here is one of the greatest examples in the Bible of a clear answer to the question, “how do I get saved?” The simple answer is, “Believe in the Lord Jesus”. There is nothing here of a formula prayer, asking, confession, but simply believing. That is how wonderful grace is. Many just don’t feel comfortable knowing that salvation is such a free gift, wanting to add little things to it making it into some work. Example... “pray this
    prayer after me...”

Here is another example of what it is to be saved.

Romans 10:13
    For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
    (ESV)
    This verse is often taken out of context.

Read what is next:

Romans 10:14
    But how are they to call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to
    believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without
    someone preaching?
    (ESV)

First comes belief, then the fruit of prayer, then the fruit of confessing before men. Unless you have first believed and have been indwelt by the Spirit of God, then you will have a desire to proclaim that.

Romans 10:9
    because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
    (ESV)

If one cannot confess that Jesus is Lord, perhaps they have not believed.

I believe it is important to understand exactly what the word “believe” means in the
    original language. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>NT:4100 pisteuo (pist-yoo'-o); from NT:4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ): KJV - believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust is a great synonym to “believe”. Trust in something with all your soul... not just with head knowledge.

To give an example, Lets say there was a man who could stretch a long tight rope across the Missouri River and walk across it as he pushes a wheel barrel across it. This man was demonstrating his talent one day and a large crowd gathered. He walked across and back several times, then he asked the audience this question, "Who believes I can do this yet one more time?" And everyone seen him do it over and over, and was quick to all agree that Yes! You can do it again. So the talented man asked the audience another question, "Who would like to ride in the wheel barrel?". No one agreed.

Belief in Jesus is jumping in that barrel.

John 3:16
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    NIV

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Chet ]

17. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Reply to Gina Member 636

Warm Christian greetings!

The devils believe that Jesus is the Son of God, see Mark 5 v 1-20 esp. verse v 7.

Mere mental assent to a belief that Jesus is Lord, and even to the basic facts of the Gospel is not enough. There has to be a heartfelt calling upon Christ for salvation coupled with true repentance.

Kind regards

RJH [​IMG]

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hello again Robert. Thanks for your response. [​IMG]
    The reason I asked was because the verse referring to "the devils also believe and tremble" seems to be referring to the belief in one God and didn't quite fit in.
    I have no clue what Gods plan is for non-human entities! Yikes! So I don't know what to say about those verses. [​IMG] Sure sounds like their faith and belief isn't on Jesus though, although they obviously know who He is.
    Gina

19. Kathy

Kathy New Member

AWESOME post Chet! Thank you!

So, what or how are we supposed to present the gospel? Are we to just tell people to believe...this whole topic has created some confusion for me...what am I to say? Is it not my business if the person accepts Christ or not?

Thanks for you time Chet!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

20. Chet

Chet New Member

Hi Kathy! Thank you so much, that means a lot coming from you.

I think that you have asked a very good question. Sometimes people feel better when they do sit down with those we witness to and have them repeat a prayer after me. It makes us think we have had an end to a means, or that we actually did lead them to Christ. I agree with Gina when she said, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Emotional pleas from pastors evoking confessions of guilt that lead people down to the altar to confess it all and seek to find peace, but it's false reassurance if it doesn't come from FAITH AND BELIEF on Jesus Christ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I brought up Acts chapter 16 to show the clear answer to the question of salvation. But notice some other interesting facts in this event.

Acts 16:23-30
    After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was
    commanded to guard them carefully. Upon receiving such orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks. About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose. The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted "Don't harm yourself! We are all here!" The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
    NIV

The guard was watching them. He watched them and saw them pray and sing hymns to
    God. They were simply living a right life. If that were me in those prisons, I would probably be complaining about everything, let alone singing! But Paul and Silas were witnessing by example. Then their faith was put to a test, they were able to be freed, as they could have ran away. But they did the right thing, and saved this guards life and remained in that jail. Because of this it caused the jailer to ask of the hope that was in them. Just as Peter said,

1 Peter 3:15
    But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to
    everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with
    gentleness and respect,
    NIV

I believe when we live for Christ, people will start to notice a difference in us than what they see in the world. And they will ask. Peter also tells us that we should answer with gentleness and respect.

Jesus said over and over again that it is by believing that we are saved. And
    Ephesians 2:8 says that it is though faith that we are saved. When I am given the
    opportunity to verbally witness to people I share with them the Gospel with love,
    gentleness, seasoned with the wonderful grace that Jesus proclaimed. Jesus came to pay for their sin debt, which is death. He came to give them perfect righteousness that only He can give as He lived a perfect sinless life. And that perfect righteousness is required to enter heaven as we can’t muster that up on our own. And Jesus came to give us life, as we are dead spiritually. The only condition that God places on this gift is that we must believe. Believe we need a savior, and believe in the savior. Very seldom talk about their sin. Especially their willingness to give up their sins! Jesus will take care of that, not them.

Proverbs 11:30 teaches “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise.”
    NIV

I think this speaks of us being slow with people and gaining their trust first. Winning their soul. Patience will pay off. I have never led anyone to Christ by getting in their face and telling them they are bound for hell when they don’t even know them.

The phrase “easy believism” is thrown around quite a bit. Well I think that needs defining. Evangelist who are in the business of calling people to an alter, is not really preaching easy believism but easy come forwardism. I do preach easy believism. That is all you need to do to be saved. Now, anyone who witness knows that it is not easy for people to believe! I talk to evolutionists, atheist, and all sorts. People don’t believe. But we have to remain a light to their darkness, and pray that the Spirit of God will lead them to Jesus Christ.

One last thought, salvation comes instantaneous. Once a person trust in Christ, they are saved that second. But sometimes it takes a while to get to that point. I remember I put my trust in those red letters somewhere between Matthew and John within a week. And I did not pray a prayer. I believed.

God bless!! [​IMG]

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Chet ]