1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sanctification: Entire or Progressive?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BibleBob, Jan 6, 2003.

1. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Sanctify means to make holy.

Sanctification is not something we do.
    It is what God does to us, therefore it is not progressive.
    A word search of the NT for "sanctify" reveals the following...

==========
    Matthew 17:7. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
    18. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.
    19. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

1 Thess. 5:23. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    24. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

2 Thess. 2:13. But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

Hebrews 9:13. The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean.
    14. How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

1 Peter 1. Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia,
    2. who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

===========

These are the only references to sanctification in the NT. None of them show that we may sanctify ourselves.

The process of Christian growth is just that, Christian growth, not sanctification.

Hebrews shows that we are not sanctified by serving God, but are sanctified so that we MAY serve Him.

When we we do good works and refrain from sin, we are striving to fulfill God's sanctification of us, not to attain it.

MR