1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sanctions for Midweek Nonattendance?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Jerome, Dec 2, 2010.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know any of the details, so I don't want to say anything that would be gossip or slander, but on the face of it, it sounds troubling, particularly given that Wednesday nights tend to be very informal.

I can't imagine sanctioning anyone for anything short of outright unrepentant sin.

In our church, we check up on people if they don't show up for a while.

If somebody is a regular attender, then we'll check just because we want to know if they're OK.

If somebody just disappears, then we'll talk to them and counsel them as needed.

We've dropped people from the rolls for non-attendance, but that was more a matter of housekeeping than discipline, and they were always welcome to go through the membership process again.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

What does DOM mean? :confused:

Thanks

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Director of Missions--sometimes called "associational missionary."

The person (often a retired pastor) who oversees associational ministries, missions, etc. The association is a local voluntary body of Southern Baptist Churches. Most meet annually and vote on budget, etc. The DOM runs the show during the year in between meetings.

In Southern Baptist circles, most associations in the South will often fall on or near county lines--outside the South they tend to be much larger geographically, as So. Baptist churches are more spread out.

Many So. Baptist churches designate a certain percentage of their receipts to associational missions. From this amount, the DOM is paid, along with any staff he has.

Most DOM's that I know see their job as a "pastor to the pastors." They serve as a resource for local churches. They visit area churches, and often fill the pulpit when needed. They often co-ordinate, and help churches work together to accomplish more than they could alone. My experience has been that there are some great DOM's, and some who frankly don't seem to get anything done. Also, I would venture that DOM's (and associations in general) are generally more helpful/useful to the smaller churches.

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. See store for details.

(Forgive me if I was too detailed--figured I'd answer as if one was not familiar at all with how Southern Baptist Associations and DOM's operate).

4. Alive in Christ

rbell

Thanks!

I'm fairly familiar with the Southern Baptists, having been a member of a couple of their churches in the past. But I have never been a pastor or deacon, etc, so I usually didnt hob-nob with the visiting dignitaries. :smilewinkgrin:

God bless.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

So is this the example to which you were referring in the OP?

If it is, I agree with Tom that this should be in the Baptist History Forum.

I imagine that there is some example out there of more modern association-recommended sanctions, but I haven't found one yet.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this is same assembly that gave us the 1689 Baptist Confession, still "held to" by several posters here. Here it is again for those who apparently missed it:

They also advised ministers "to take into their serious consideration those excesses that are found among their members, men and women, with respect to their apparel".

Some things never change.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I mentioned your post to a friend of mine who is a Director of Missions.

He said exactly what I expected him to say, almost to the word:

"Well, now...that's the first time in my ministry I've ever been referred to as a 'dignitary.' I like it!"

See...without even trying, you just edified the daylights out of a DOM.
    :D :D

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Seeing an old confession changes my current opinion of the matter not one whit.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, is he going to join the Bap Board?

10. Alive in Christ

Ha ha! :laugh:

Well, I'm glad I was able to brighten his day a little bit. :thumbs:

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

This particular gentleman will join the BB when it is done via paper, pen, and First Class Mail. He epitomizes the concept of "old school." :D

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how long does it take him to visit his churches via his horse and buggy:smilewinkgrin:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'll say this: Most DOM's in the South cater to the most traditional population--older adults in predominantly rural churches. This makes sense:

-larger churches are statistically less likely to be involved in associational missions, business, meetings, etc.
    -older folk are the backbone of associations.

"cutting edge" isn't so important to them.

Gonna brag on someone, though: Gary Farley, of Pickens Baptist Association in West Alabama, does it right. He's found the "sweet spot" regarding ministering to rural churches (in fact, he's a nationally known expert in the field). But, he's found a way to help rural churches to use modern tools to help their ministries (and he's so good at bringing folks along who are skeptical of modern stuff--he helps them without confusing them or alienating them).

And he does it by effectively building relationships. One thing I'm so proud of Gary for doing is building relationships between historically black and white churches in what has been a cordial, but very segregated culture.

When a black church was burned via arson a few years back, Gary got the Pickens Baptist Association involved--not just on the front end, "feel-good" side (stuff that is important, but one-time--such as providing pews and hymnals). He did that, but he also instituted a "pulpit swap" among some of the churches.

Great things are taking place: Churches in this stagnant area are growing. Relationships are being formed. And the black and white churches that are God-focused are working together. That's an example of a DOM doing it right.

Sorry for the long hijack--but it's for a good cause. :D

14. Alive in Christ

What would I think of this situation?

I would flee that church like the plague.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, depends, did they classify it as a venial or mortal sin and what is the penance?

HankD

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh, LOL! Still another Ex RC! Charming prospective on the sin nature of man. Its all coming back now!

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't help myself.

HankD

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I fear this is a veiled attempt to attack the LBCF. It's much ado about nothing.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the LBCF?

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith (1689).

Besides affirming the Confession, the 1689 London Baptist Assembly (the association I referenced in the OP) also took up the matter of churches disciplining members absent from midweek services:

They also advised ministers "to take into their serious consideration those excesses that are found among their members, men and women, with respect to their apparel".

Many Baptists today would (and did) classify such actions as outrageous/Fundy/legalistic.
    But this was the same group that approved the 1689 Confession that several here "hold to".