1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sanctity of Marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Sep 8, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Scarlett,

"Some are called to singleness, and most are meant to be married" is what I have said in many places. In public and in private. I continue to proclaim the same thing about Marriage and Singleness.

And as in your case, I am often misunderstood. And sometimes I am even attacked.

Yet, I continue to say the same things.

Marriage is holy. God ordained marriage in Genesis Chapter 2. Jesus is recorded as restating God's purpose in 2 of the Gospels. And Paul restates that men and women should marry, but some are called to singleness.

And as the president of SBTS has said, there are way too many Christians choosing to remain single today.

If someone told me, "Wayne, it is the end time and the Holy Spirit has moved a vast group of Christians to be single and not produce more children in preparation for the end times." I would say, "That is a good reason. And I could believe the Holy Spirit would move through His people that way."

However, that is not what I am hearing.

So I am concerned. Why do we have a generation of Christians that would rather have 10% or more of our couples live together rather than to risk divorce? Isn't sin - sin? Doesn't our younger generation hurt enough to want to turn to God and be holy? Shouldn't we hurt as we think of the sin of our generation? Shouldn't we desire for everyone to live lives of less sin?

Isn't 1 couple living together, 1 couple too many?

I say, and will continue to say, some Christians are called to be single. A few are called to remain single for a time. But, most Christians were designed by God to be married.

Yet we have more and more couples living together and not becoming married. We have more men and women practicing in singleness what should be done only in marriage.

#21 El_Guero, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!

Are you talking about people who are just "living together"????????

Well, yes, that a sin. It's a very grievous, grievous sin. I agree with you.

Brother, let me tell you very kindly. If that's the case, your posts over the past weeks are a little confusing. I thought and many other people thought that you are talking about people who just are "not married" and live alone such, as I do, or with their parents or with same-sex roommates.

If you are talking about a man and a woman who are "shacked up", then you are right in saying that this is sinful not to be married.

If you are talking about people who are single and not sexually immoral, then you are wrong in saying that this it is sinful not to be married.