1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sandhills and church furnishings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Sep 17, 2011.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

No one is debating personal preferences here, nor is scripture necessary to explain historical and symbolic choices.

I'm battling a nasty wound infection today so this will be brief, but let me give you some examples.

The local Episcopal church, before it closed down, used one chalice for the communion wine instead of our itty bitty cups. The local Methodist church uses one chalice for the juice and the folks dip their bits of bread in it. They do this, not because of sanitation, but to symbolize the one body, one baptism of the Christian church as a whole--the church universal. So if you are a Landmark Baptist ministering to folks who think that way, would you do it that way?

Another BB poster sent me a good one to ask you to go find the answer to: why do some churches have a divided chancel and others not?

Here's another bit of history for you: where did the clergy collar come from (hint--Lutherans but expand on it). Why don't Baptist pastors wear one? It has nothing to do with fashion or comfort.

Why do some churches have crosses hung in them and some crucifixes? There are some theologicial reasons, among them some focusing on the death of Christ and others on the resurrection, and for some a question concerning idols.

Do you know what incense signifies in liturgical churches? Do you agree or disagree with the few Baptist churches now using it and why?

When you sing the song "Majesty", do you believe the same thing Jack Hayford does about Kingdom Authority and the believer?

When you sing "This is my Father's World" are you agreeing with postmillenialism? How about Victory in Jesus?

Gotta run--this seriously hurts.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh no! I'm sorry and I pray that you heal quickly!!

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I see what you were intending now... but, while I am very familiar with these songs: "Majesty", "This is my Father's World", and "Victory in Jesus"... we haven't sung those songs at our church yet.
    thanks.

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Still battling a serious wound infection, so not able to be on the 'puter much.

But come on, some of you know seriously so much history than some of us.

Tell us what your church customs are what the symbolism or reasoning is behind them.

Not a matter of who is right and who is wrong, but the reasons for the actions.

Thanks annsni