1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sarah Palin Apologizes to Non-Ultra-Conservative Americans

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Oct 21, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I commend Sarah Palin for apologizing to me and others who do not share all of her political viewpoints. :thumbs:

CNN: You've talked about America. And certain parts of America, that are maybe more American than other parts of American, Are there?

Palin: Ehhh, I don't want that misunderstood. No, I do not want that misunderstood. You know, when I go to these rallies and we see the patriotism just shining through these people's faces and the Vietnam veterans wearing their hats so proudly and they have tears in their eyes as we sing our national anthem and it is so inspiring and I say that this is true America, you get it, you understand how important it is that in the next four years we have a leader who will fight for you. I certainly don't want that interpreted as one area being more patriotic or more American than another. If that's the way it's come across, I apologize.

- www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/21/palin.sitroom.transcript/

2. targus

targus New Member

Two thoughts:

Since the article and Sarah Pallin say nothing anywhere even remotely near to what you have chosen title this thread I can only guess that you either possess poor reading and comprehension skills or are deliberately misleading.

You seem to believe that patriotism is an "ultra-conservative" trait. How sad for you.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had an opportunity to say something nice about Sarah Palin and I wanted to do so - to reach across the aisle.

The poor lady needs someone to say something nice about her considering that in the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC poll more people view her negatively than positively.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it is going to get worse with the news that she unethically, if not illegally charged the state of Alaska for the cost of her children's going to various functions with her. That might not be so bad, but to cover herself, she amended or filed new expense account reports in an attempt to cover herself.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27310999/

I am glad she apologized. I give her credit for that. I think some of her comments have been over the top.

5. targus

targus New Member

And yet you somehow manage to use those opportunities to make insults instead.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And that my friend is exactly what it is all about.:thumbs:

7. targus

targus New Member

From your source:

"Alaska law does not specifically address expenses for a governor's children. The law allows for payment of expenses for anyone conducting official state business."

Not sure how you get "illegal" or even "unethical" from this.

I personally have no problem with a mother taking her children with her on State business. And I even feel that it is not an unreasonable expense under the above definition.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you did not read the article. It said that at a number of functions the leaders were surprised when the children showed up. Why? Because they had not invited the kids. So, officially there was no invitation, but she charged for the expenses anyway in her expense account report. Later when this was asked about, she amended the expense report. But there is no invitation showing the kids were on official government business.

http://news.aol.com/elections/artic...l/220444?icid=100214839x1211470602x1200742164

I am not sure about Alaska law, but this strikes of unethical conduct. It would have been an firing offense at the company I worked for for 26 years. It is the later amending that brings in the question of ethics. Our primary customer was the US Government and they were death on this type of expense report amending.

9. targus

targus New Member

Please show me where it is required for the children of the Govenor to be invited in order for the expenses of taking the children with the Govenor to be expenses of offical business. She did not amend the expense reports to remove the expenses of the children but amended them to say things like First Family - i.e. further clarification.

Jumping to conclusions and judging the conduct of others without actual knowledge is unethical.

You may want to start closer to home in addressing unethical behavior.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It is apparent she is a strong family person which is admirable at the individual level but is at conflict when representing the people.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I must admit it strikes me as rather silly that some of you would say that you can't bring your kids with you to certain kinds of events if you choose. It also strikes me as really silly that some of you attack her over something that should not be an issue to begin with. I guess family values aren't what they used to be. I think we should applaud parents for including their kids. Any one know what this allegedly "cost" the state of Alaska?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real insult is John McCain choosing her as his running mate for the second highest public office in the land. That, my friend, was an insult to the American people as a whole.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You can bring your kids Pastor Larry, but the expense should come from your own pocket. That is what's is being concluded. The state on pays and reimburses their employee unless the family is on OFFICIAL business.

So I do applaud her family values I just question her ethics for putting the tab on the taxpayers.

This is her second ethics violation that the conservatives say we should just look the other way. If this were Obama, well, this board would be flaming. Do you think Alaska will allow 3 or will they proceed with impeachment hearings? I guess we'll know in January when the state legislative body reconvenes.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Or was she really vetted... All of these things seem to be a surprise to his campaign so what did they check?

15. targus

targus New Member

Oops. The moral high ground that you were pretending to be perched upon has dissolved into quicksand.:saint:

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

What does Obama have that she doesn't have... beside rich friends in high places and a media that kisses his pinkie ring?

Talk about insults!!!

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is your guilty conscience that craved an "apology".

I doubt your "patriotism" has ever actually been questioned.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not been reticent about expressing my feelings about Sarah Palin. I feel the same way about her that a lot of the people who post on this board feel about Barack Obama.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Colin Powell's endorsement. 6 point lead in the polls. The support of the democratic party. Should I go on?

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

6 points is nothing. Colin Powell is a sell-out to his race- if Obama was white Colin would be singing a different tune. The Democrats could have done better. (For that matter the Republicans could have also.)