1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sarcasm or just plain hatefullness?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

When I first began looking for a forum to learn from people with greater knowledge than myself, I almost walked away completely from the idea that it was possible. In fact, I did for many months.

During my search, the thing that amazed me was when two or more pastors would hurl insults at each other because they had different viewpoints. The very people I was looking to for guidance were doing the very things that I was trying to get control of in my life.

Many boards I wouldn't join because I didn't want to post a novice question and be called stupid for asking it. Or be called a troll or a trouble-maker right from the first post. Even here (far better than most I read) I lurked for a while before hitting the register button. Fortunately I read posts that reflected their walk of faith with the Lord. Enough of them, in fact, to begin sticking up my head now and then. Knowing there would be some who wouldn't take a potshot at it for my lack of understanding of the word of God.

I can't help but wonder how many people have either been driven away before they even register? How many who have registered are lurking in their holes, afraid to stick up their heads and voice an opinion or ask a question?

Have wondered too, how many in leadership positions in their churches would make the same type of remarks in front of their congregations? Who is seeing the real person? The congregation on Sunday morning or the folks out here on Monday morning? Call me brother on Sunday and stupid or worse on Monday. Something ain't right.

Yes, I'm trying to keep the beam out of my own eye.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent post, the only thing I would differ on is not wanting to register for the reasons you said. For me, this encourages me, for a person like me who has done nothing but read Scripture and never been to a theology class in my life to be able to put those like you are talking about where they belong (how many thousands of dollars has been wasted while these clowns sat through years of training), in their own theological Twilight Zone.

3. Brads70

Brads70 New Member

Well said Saturneptune, Oldtimer, and righteousdude2 :thumbs:
    I just joined, and lurked for awhile reading. For sure I can see useful Godly information ....and Satanic influences. Must be some really great info in here if I can see the later in here! :thumbs:

I think some forget we all ( most?) have the same hope in Christ. Yep lots of strong beliefs in Bible versions, theology, and traditions but we are all serving the same God right.
    I enjoy and find value in learning what/why people have different views/beliefs, opinions than mine. It challenges me, reaffirms or changes my opinions/beliefs.
    Spirtiually it's like walking a mine field and I constanly have to pray for wisdom and guidance and protection when I come on here.
    :godisgood:

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

At least we all can agree that this usually happens between the ardent non cals that see us as heretical, or just plain deluded scriptually camp!

"can't we all just get along?"

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Welcome to Baptist Board. Calvinism is so bitterly debated that someone like me, who feels the truth is outside the box of that framework, cannot even learn new ideas because the thoughts are so angrily exchanged. Another subject I want to grow in an understanding of is end times events. I once believed pretty much like Hal Lindsey, but not so sure anymore. However, when you try to follow one of the threads, it sounds like two third graders saying, no, the Lord is coming before the Trib, and the other says no, He is coming after. I am taking my toys and going home.