1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Satan's Access to God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DeadMan, Nov 12, 2005.

1. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

My father-in-law threw this one at me and I have to admit, I didn't have a good answer for him. I'm hoping someone here will.

Job 1:6 says, "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them." If no evil can stand in the presence of God, how did Satan, the father of evil, get there? My NKJV Study Bible notes suggest that Satan still had access to God's court, and that his final banishment was still in the future. Does that sound feasible?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. God allows satan access to heaven still today as He did in 2100 BCE

God is in control, not satan, and he must still ask permission of God before he can have any impact on the believer.

Thank God.

3. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Where is the verse that says that evil can't stand in the presence of God?

4. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Where is the verse that says that evil can't stand in the presence of God? </font>[/QUOTE]Good question. My father-in-law doesn't go to the same church as us nor the same denomination. I'm going to ask him that. I can't find anything like that, either!

5. preacher

preacher New Member

O'K now I'm curious, Dr. Bob, What do you mean by impact. Like in the book of Job? With all the influences he has in this world, espically today, he must have a lot of permission.

6. preacher

preacher New Member

Deadman, mabey he's refering to the idea that God can't look upon sin? Just a thought.

7. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

I tend to agree with Dr. Bob.

But my question would be if Satan isn't omnipresent...like the other guy said how can he spend so much time going back and fourth and then attack people all day long. Do his demon friends go with him and then spread out ?

Seems like alot of work for one guy....and how about unbelievers does the same work for them ?

8. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

I just heard from and that is it. I don't believe this equates to Satan not being able to be in His presence. Afterall, God does have to deal with Satan!

9. preacher

preacher New Member

Well, He DOESN'T have to but He does for some reason. I too believe satan comes into his presence, but if I'm right (not always) then the only time he would need God's permission is to physically do us harm. If he was no threat without Gods permission then it would'nt seem we would have instructions on how to combat him ourselves...putting on the armour, that implies to always be ready to resist his attacks.
    And yes he does have help, fallen angels(?), demons, & humans too I,m sure.

10. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

If I ever make a movie or a story about that, I'm going to include a scene where Satan is cast out of heaven, but then there's this conference of the angels, and he shows up at heaven's gate with an valid invitation - issued before the fall, of course. The archangel at the gate doesn't know what to do and lets him in to the meeting.

It'll be a great movie, all kinds of opportunities for special effects . . .

But how far close or off the mark that scene is we'll have to let heaven itself show us all.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan can be in only one place at one time. He was an anointed cherub with unbelievable power. But still not omnipresent.

So we BLAME satan, but in reality the "dirty work" is done by the hordes of demons and fallen angels.

BTW, if someone says satan is tempting them or "the devil made me do it" (ala Flip Wilson) they are wigging out. 6.3 billion people and he is attacking you? Nada.

12. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Not to insult my father-in-law, but my wife feels he's being petty and just looking for a reason not to believe. During the same conversation I had with him, he told me he can't just 'blindly believe in something'.

13. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Satan is powerful as Dr. Bob has said, but he has limitations. For example, he doesn't know what you're thinking, but he can observe you to see where your weaknesses are. Then he'll attack you.

Keep in mind, the chances of satan personally attacking you are slim as Dr. Bob suggested. He has a bunch of demons that do his dirty work.

While satan must get permission from God to afflict us, God does allow the order (or disorder as the case may be) that sin created takes its (un)natural course.