1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Savage Remarks on RCC

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ps104_33, Apr 3, 2006.

1. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

So you admit you do exactly what you falsely accused the Catholic Church of doing.

Catholics just accept all of the Bible, instead of parts. So when Jesus says that He will decide if we go with Him, or with Satan, depending on our works, we believe Him. When scripture says that faith saves, we believe that, too. If you accept all of it, that is what you will believe.

I think most Baptists have been more sinned against, than sinning in that regard, with the sole exception of slavery and segregation. And I suspect a good number of them were actually opposed to both.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

You really have to be joking here, aren't you. In reality you believe very little of the Bible, but have taken away from it, and have added to it.
    For example: you don't believe the straightforward statements of Scripture....

well that is a matter of interpretation eh....as a Catholic I actually believe in the Bible, but this can be quite tedious to explain to those who will not see ( granted that this is a point which is used against Catholics by non catholics).

I also believe in Holy Mother Church and this is a point of profound deviation by Christians.

Rejoice in the Risen Christ Alleluia.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The question of Anathemas does not begin to comprehend the problem as stated by RCC sources THEMSELVES!!

The power that controlled all of Europe declared the proper course to be "extermination" --

The answer from Fr. Ken Ryan:
    </font>[/QUOTE]In the article above – Fr. Ken Ryan makes the meaning of “extermination” of that group and “many other groups” clear for modern readers.
    Catholic apologists like Catholic Digest’s Fr. Ken Ryan quoted above often argue that the RCC isn't accountable for the Inquisition, since the state carried out the torturing and the executions. It was the RCC who defined these people as "heretics", however, and the RCC handed them over to the state (John 19:11).
    [/quote]

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why does Fr. Ken Ryan feel so free to use the term "exterminate"??

We know from the decrees of Popes and councils that the RCC viewed itself as having authority over the state.

The Fourth Lateran Council, for example, the ecumenical council that dogmatized transubstantiation, declared (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/lat4-c3.html):
    Other councils, such as Vienna, issued anti-Semitic decrees that ordered the persecution of Jews. The persecution of other groups, such as the Waldensians, was also ordered by the RCC.
    For example, Pope Innocent VIII issued a bull in 1487 ordering that people "rise up in arms against" and "tread under foot" the Waldensians.
    Roman Catholic and former Jesuit Peter de Rosa writes in Vicars of Christ (Crown Publishers, 1988),

================================================================

The Catholic historian von Dollinger writes in The Pope and the Council,
    Consider the following news stories from the Vatican City.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you get the belief that Church is your Mother?

Paul says in Gal 4:
    22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman
    26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all .

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Paul is talking about Sarah as our Mother in faith. Please read carefully that chapter.

This is confirmed by Peter too.

1 Peter 3:6

Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are , as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement

Do you notice your First Pope Peter declares you are the daughter of Sarah ?

-We, the True Believers, are the temple of God where Holy Spirit dwells in ( 1 Cor 3:16, 6:19)
    - Church (ekklesia) means the Assembly of such True Believers whose Head is Jesus Christ ( Eph 1:22-23)
    - Church is the Bride of Jesus Christ as well ( Eph 5:23-25, Rev 21:2)
    - We are the members of the Church, the Body of Christ ( Eph 5:30- We are members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones)
    - Jesus Christ is the Head of the Body, the Church ( Colossians 1:18)

Therefore, we are the members of the Church. Church is formed of ourselves, not the Mother.

You may call Mary as your Mother, but you can find such words or such logic nowhere in the Bible, but the Bible says Sarah is your Mother.

B-G,

What if you find the Tradition of Roman Catholic Church contradict Bible Scripture?
    Will you follw the Tradition ignoring the Bible?

Here are the teachings for that:

Mark 7:12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother; 13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition , which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Colossians 2:8
    Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men , after the rudiments F8 of the world, and not after Christ.

Which would you choose to follow if Tradition and Bible Scripture contradict each other?

Would you say Tradition of Roman Catholic Church is always correct?

Sometimes even Pope or Council change the doctrines, they try to rescind Limbo, or they are quiet about No Salvation outside Holy Roman Catholic Church. They now retreat from Papal Infallibility to limit to Ex-Cathera.

What do you think about?

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Papal inafallibility, BTW, was always limited by ex cathedra.

And while there is no salvation outside of the Catholic Church, there certainly is salvation outside of the Roman Catholic Church, as Pope Paul observed.

"Catholic" by itself, has always meant the body of believers in the world.

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Re: the anathemata of Trent: as Galatian observes, these only technically apply to people who wish to regard themselves as Roman Catholics, and have indeed been matched by similar condemnations on the Protestant side eg: the Lutheran Book of Concord. They were also based on a not-quite accurate belief that the Catholic Church had at that time of what Lutherans in particular believed: the Catholics thought that the Lutheran sola fide doctrine meant that Lutherans believed that Christians could engage in all kinds of licentious and antinomian behaviour with impunity. No serious Lutheran theologian asserts that anymore than any serious Catholic theologian will assert salvation by works.

You may be interested to know that both Catholics and Lutherans have recognised this 16th century 'talking past each other' in the JOINT DECLARATION OF THE DOCTRINE OF JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH

Re: extra ecclesiam nulla salus, I can do little better than direct people to LUMEN GENTIUM in particular paras 14-16 from which the passage earlier quoted in the Catechism is drawn. Note that it refers to those who "know that the Catholic Church is necessary for salvation". Two ways of responding to that: one is that 'Catholic Church' means all Christians everywhere (as Pope Paul VI made clear); or, that if one isn't a Catholic, then we cannot be said to 'know' that the RCC is 'necessary for salvation', and that therefore that anathema does not apply to us. For example - I left the Catholic Church 20 years ago; I do not believe that the Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation (if I did, I'd still be a Catholic); therefore that condemnation does not apply to me.

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Quite so. What frightens the haters is not so much that the RC Church is hateful to other faiths, but that it is accepting of them.

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did RC kill so many people either by Inquisition or by Proxy War?

Did they torture them and kill them without hatreds?

Just one of many :

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n1676.cfm

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a frightening thought and quite true. It is a turn about and for a good reason. The Catholic Church, as you say has become quite accepting of other faiths. It's Catechism says that even the Muslims are saved.
    Catholicism has become very ecumenical. Pope John Paul was accepting of almost everyone. He invited Yasser Arafat, who came and saw him, the world's renowned terrorist. People from all persuasions and walks of like came to see the pope and sought his blessing.
    Consider:
    The most renowned of the Catholic apologists is Scott Hahn (that I know of). Hahn admits that 1Peter was written from Rome, and as it says in the last chapter was written from Babylon, thereby equating Babylon to Rome. Rome = Babylon. Thus Rome is the great whore of Revelation 17, not simply Rome the city, but the vatican in particular.
    That great "church" described there is a one-world church that encompasses all churches (denominations), relitions, etc. The RCC is working very hard to attract all religions under the umbrella of Catholicism. It is very ecumenical and has its tentacles in every nation in the world. Some day it will be a one-world church, and the Pope will be the head (the second beast spoken of in Revelation 13). It is indeed frightening to see these things happening right now, right under our noses, so to speak. The end is near. Christ is coming soon. Hallelujah!
    DHK

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Not quite. It says that they can be saved. God can save whomever He choses. But a person who, living in a Muslim country, or even a person living in an officially atheist state where religion is forbidden, can still be saved.

Hatred is kind of unCatholic. It's really unBaptist, too, for most Baptists.

It's all Jesus's fault. He was always hanging around with sinners. Scandalous. Pharaisees condemned him, too. But we are called to be an imitation of Christ, and our churches are not for the saved, but for those in need of salvation.

Jack Chick would have loved you. But more important, God loves you. Even if you can't bring yourself to love His people.

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't distinguish between Sleep and Death, and Resurrection issue.

I didn't say that the dead people died completly and doesn't resurrect again. The Dead people are ALIVE in Gods' eyes and will resurrect again, but in the meantime until they resurrect, they are sleeping. That is the expression used by Jesus when He mentioned about Lazarus " Our friend Lazarus sleepeth " ( John 11:11)

" I may awake him out of sleep " ( John 11:11)

Is Jesus Cultic?

Read the Bible again,
    1 Cor 11:30, many are weak and sickly among you, and many asleep. What does it mean by asleep ?

1 Cor 15:20
    Now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept.
    ( What does it mean by slept?)

1 Thessalonians 4: 14
    For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.

( What is sleep here?)

1 Thessalonians 4: 15
    For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

(Who are alive and who are asleep? )

After death they take the rest, and therefore praying to the dead person is a nonsense.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing , neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

This means that Dead people are still alive in God's view and wait for the resurrection either of Damnation or of Life as we read John 5:29

John 5:29
    And (the hour) shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

I never deny the resurrection and the dead will rise again.

As for me, I was born again when I read Galatian 2:20 and had the same experience as John Wesley had on May 24, 1738. Do you have such experience of change in your life, and have established the personal relationship with God?
    Before I was born again, I was one of the members at a church like Methodists and was baptized by sprinkling the water and defended for the existence of God quite well but there was no change of my life.
    If you don't have such experience of conversion, you may have not been born again in Jesus by Holy Spirit. Please note that Wesley was already a Priest of Anglican Church and went to Georgia as a missionary, but he didn't have such experience and was very much challenged by Moravian Brethren and later on he was converted when he heard the message from Peter Boeler, the Moravian Missionary. The most of the Methodist doctrines were learned from Moravian Brethren.

Galatian asks me about whether I am JW. I am so-called Plymouth Brethren. The reason why I say so-called is because they deny any name of denomination but the outsiders call us as PB.
    We deny denomination as 1 Cor 1:11-17 disapproves any denomination. As there was no Presbytarian Church of Rome or Methodist Church of Ephesus, or Corinthian Catholic Church at all in the Bible, we deny any denomination name but gather together in the name of Jesus Christ as Matt 18:20 mentions.

PB's share the same doctrines in most of the doctrinal issues, but the difference exist in the practices such as Baptism by immersion, Lord's Supper every week as per 1 Cor 11:23-30 and Acts 20:7, No Pastor except Elders and Deacons, Head Covering for the women as 1 Cor 11:1-16, calling each other Brothers and Sisters as Matt 23:8-11, etc.

If you read carefully the literatures by John Wesley, you can confirm that Dead people are expressed as sleeping.

Isaiah 8:19

should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead ?
    If you check any faithful Methodist scholars, they will say that the prayer to the dead is ridiculous and is against their faith.

[ April 20, 2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Eliyahu ]

14. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Er... how does 'Rome the City' become 'The Vatican'; surely John is talking here about the pagan Roman Empire, which had demised by the end of the fifth century. I'm not sure how you leap from that to the Catholic Church and the Vatican...

15. Living_stone

Living_stone New Member

Um, false doctines aside (for they dont' believe them to be false and so they won't apologize for them) but I think it's pretty ignorant to claim they "support child molesters". A few higher authorities made poor decisions - blame them, that's fine. But don't blame the entire church. That's just rediculous. This problem is just as rampant on the Protestant side of the fence, but we don't hear about it because no particular protestant church is nearly as visible as the Catholic Church.

It's my understanding that:

A) This protesting is the work of a local bishop. It's not some official program from Rome.

B) Why woudn't you get offended if someone said that "the smart people won't go near you because everyone in your church is a pedophile so you must prey on the ignorant masses". That's an ignorant statement.

Can't we defend out brothers in Christ ever? Don't you think this is even a bit childish?

I suppose I'm sympathetic to the underdogs...

It's my understanding that there are more than one scriptural reasons to back up the catholic claim, and there are historical claims extending well before Constantine too...it's something I've wrestled with for years.

I don't know if this will help, but this site has been bothering me for a while because...it seems to make some sense.

That doesn't seem to follow necessarily. Revelation was written well before the Catholis "took over" Rome - and the Vatican didn't even exist for like a thousand years if I recall. Dan Brown, in his infamous book, claims that Constantine tried to give power to "the vatican power base" which is just silly because it didn't exist as such - though there was a pope even then.