1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Save Us from the Romans" => Crucifixion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

According to Walter Ziffer, the Hebrew words that the Judeans spoke to Jesus on his Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem were Hoshayana Ba Meromim. (Inferred from the Greek words for "Hosanna in the Highest".)

Now, Hoshayana means "Save us", as is well known.

And, Ba means "in the".

But, the reconstructed Hebrew word Meromim can be, in turn, interpreted in another manner, besides "Highest":

Me — "from [the]"
    Romim — "Romans"

Thus, while the Greek Gospel evidence indicates that the Judeans were shouting Hoshayana Ba Meromim in Hebrew, this is nearly identical to the words Hoshayana Me Romim — meaning "Save us from the Romans".

Ziffer offers the possibility that Roman spies heard the words Hoshayana and Me-romim and (mis)interpreted them as "Save us from the Romans". (Perhaps intentionally, under Sadducee influence??)

Indeed, it was common Roman procedure to put placards over the crucifixes of criminals indicating the crime for which they had been punished. Thus, the placard Pilate put over Jesus' cross, "The King of the Jews", indicates the crime for which he had been executed — the political crime of denying the authority of Caesar.

(Recall, when the Jews later stopped the sacrifices for (Nero) Caesar in the Temple of Jerusalem, Rome invaded and "crucified" the whole Jewish nation.)

Source:

http://www.krusch.com/bethisrael/