1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved by Baptism

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by tulpje, Jan 23, 2002.

1. tulpje

tulpje Guest

I aagree! How did that happen any way? haha

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir Ed:
    Adam, I think I no what verse you are referring to but could you give me a book and chapter. Gracias.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob-

1 Tim. 2:15
    Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

UNP
    Adam

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by tulpje:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> If the woman took sleeping pills and comitted suicide, she went to hell cause she had unrepentant sin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no interest in debating suicide nor baptism, but no person on this earth has any right to say whether another is going to Heaven OR Hell. This decision is left to the Son of God and not humankind. That is the problem with this thread. We should be more concerned about this world and the treatment of our fellow man and spreading the Gospel than worrying about salvific acts. We all follow the practices that we feel are correct in the Eyes of God, but in the end, it is God alone that seperates the wheat from the chaff. The criminal on the cross is proof enough that no actions are salvific.

May God bless you

- Clint

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

4. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clint Kritzer:

We all follow the practices that we feel are correct in the Eyes of God, but in the end, it is God alone that seperates the wheat from the chaff.
    - Clint
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said, Clint. [​IMG]

5. tulpje

tulpje Guest

I feel like I'm on a different thread.... what happened??? :confused:

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Check your private messages tulje, I just sent you one explaining what happened.

UNP
    Adam

7. tulpje

tulpje Guest

Ok... Whaatever :rolleyes:

8. Pauline

Pauline New Member

Clint,
    You certainly are correct on saying that no human being can judge if another has gone or is going to hell.

All,
    On baptism, Catholics believe we humans are bound by the sacraments, God is not. We also believe what scripture says that God looks on the heart, on the intention.

Therefore. if a person is able to be baptized, he is required to do so. If he would be baptized if he could, but circumstances prevent it, then God still counts him as being baptized. And, in baptism the person is actually cleansed from his sins and raised a new creature in Christ.

Someone earlier on this thread said that being baptized is a symbol of being buried with Christ. But if it is only a symbol, then how do we come up new creatures in Christ Jesus? Do any of you doubt that there is an actual change in the new Christian? Don't you all agree that you have become new creatures in Jesus Christ -- and that it was brought about by grace? We Catholics would say that being raised a new creature happens when coming up in baptism. Scripture teaches this too.

Pauline

9. Glen Seeker

Glen Seeker New Member

I don't know how many churches are represented by the people here, but do any of your churches accept the precepts of the Nicene Creed?

Doesn't it say, "We believe in one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins?"

If we are all born with orignal sin or a sin nature, and Baptism forgives sin, then in that way, Baptism does indeed save us. No?

10. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glen Seeker:
    I don't know how many churches are represented by the people here, but do any of your churches accept the precepts of the Nicene Creed?

Doesn't it say, "We believe in one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins?"

If we are all born with orignal sin or a sin nature, and Baptism forgives sin, then in that way, Baptism does indeed save us. No?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Catholics and Lutherans take that statment literally. More reformed groups such as Baptists take if figuratively as does, we believe, God's Word.

UNP
    Adam

11. tulpje

tulpje Guest

Absolutely Glen! Thanks For sharing! Please see Martin Luther's exlaination on baptism. Thank you. By the way, how can you be Catholic and Baptist at the same time? Just curious. [​IMG]

tulpje
    (little tulip)

12. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glen Seeker:
    If we are all born with orignal sin or a sin nature, and Baptism forgives sin, then in that way, Baptism does indeed save us. No?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No! Nothing saves us, not baptism, not anything else. Jesus saves us from our sins, period! Nothing we can do or could do will save us, except the shed blood of Jesus, the perfect Lamb of God, in Whom there was no guile. He can only save us. This is what the Bible teaches us, and this is what we Baptists believe. [​IMG]

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barnabas:

No! Nothing saves us, not baptism, not anything else. Jesus saves us from our sins, period! Nothing we can do or could do will save us, except the shed blood of Jesus, the perfect Lamb of God, in Whom there was no guile. He can only save us. This is what the Bible teaches us, and this is what we Baptists believe. [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen Barnabas- for by faith we are saved through grace

UNP
    Adam

14. tulpje

tulpje Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

Amen Barnabas- for by faith we are saved through grace

UNP
    Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tha's right Adam We are saved through Grace by fait and a means a grace is baptism. That's your Lutheran upbringing!! ;)

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tulpje:

Tha's right Adam We are saved through Grace by fait and a means a grace is baptism. That's your Lutheran upbringing!! ;)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And around and around in a circle we go...

There really isn't much left to say: We believe what the Bible says about baptism in light of what Christ and the Apostles taught and practiced. And that is believer's baptism by immersion. Baptism is not a mean's of salvation. Faith in Jesus Christ is and that is the work soley of God by means of the Holy Spirit- apart of anything we try to do to save ourselves.

And you may go on trusting in the teachings of Martin Luther (a great man, no doubt. I have a great deal of respect for him, as I have said before), but he was a man, and his teachings should not be elevated to the level of scripture.

UNP
    Adam

16. tulpje

tulpje Guest

What is this Word and promise of God?
    Answer? Where our Lord says in Mark 16:16, "The one who believes and is baptized will be saved; but the one who does not believe will be condemned."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason a person is baptized is an afformation that they belong to Christ! It is an answer of a good conscious towards God!
    It has no saving possibilities eternally speaking only the blood of Jesus Christ can do that. John The Baptist was the one that prepared the way of the Lord. John The Baptist and Jesus set the example for all of his called out children to follow.
    Here's is a question for all what about those who were born before Jesus set the example. They were not Baptized so I guess they can never go to heaven? If Baptizing is for eternal salvation then we better get busy and baptize babies as soon as they come forth from the womb or we are not doing our job. Maybe some of us can stand in proxy for those who were born before Jesus to make sure heaven is also their eternal home. The Mormons believe that baptizing for the dead!
    One of our minister made this comment and worthy of much consideration... If a person isn't saved before they are baptized then they went in a dry devil and came out a wet one!... Think about that one!... Brother Glen
    :eek:

18. tulpje

tulpje Guest

your just not reading the bible verses! the nicene, aposles and anthenasiane creede are based on scripture. I am leeding you to places where the bible says that in order to be saved you need to be baptized, but you blatently disrerad that and bring up your pety arguments time and again! so be it! :eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG]

19. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tulpje:
    your just not reading the bible verses! the nicene, aposles and anthenasiane creede are based on scripture. I am leeding you to places where the bible says that in order to be saved you need to be baptized, but you blatently disrerad that and bring up your pety arguments time and again! so be it! :eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The creeds, much like Luther's writings, are only based on man's interpertation of scripture- which is prone to err. Only scripture is Truth.

UNP
    Adam

20. tulpje

tulpje Guest

Well, Adam, let me tell you a story. The day I left the ELCA for the WELS, and I was sitting in my ELCA pastor's office and I was telling him about all of those people on the aal board and all of that stuff that I had learned about the muslim faith and about how there was a woman who thought that they all worshiped one God(Now sheIS a Muslim but that's beside the point)I took out our old green hymnal and I read the Anthanasian creed to him. I told him that this was How I KNEW Muslims Jews and Christians didn't worship the same God (That is what they were telling us in our church you know)and do you know what he told me? "Mary, you can't base a religion on a creed. I never saw him again. That was the man that baptizided me and my daughter. And I have to tell you that I love him, Adam. That's how important creeds are!