1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved through the bearing of children?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Deacon, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks John3, I've been so busy that I sort of dropped the ball on my own thread.

Your answer is certainly the most original and it answers many of the questions I have about the text. I'm off tomorrow and I'll try to spend some quality/quanity time in the Word and get back to you here later. [​IMG]

2. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Okay! Look forward to your reply. [​IMG]

3. Mickes

Mickes New Member

I think the key here is continue in faith when I read it I think of a women that already is saved. the child birth will make her into a virtuous woman if she stays in the faith and love.Therefore preserveing her testimony or rewards.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Helen and Katie!

I was in the Delivery room with my wife on the occasion of both our kids' "comin' into this world!!" Both times--that was as close to death as I'd seen my wife get--REAL close!!

But I'll see if I can find a few thoughts on the text above and share with you guys later on!!

YOur friend,
    Blackbird

5. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Hi! Mickes
    This has nothing to do with spiritual salvation. You need to start back in Vs 11 and read through in Vs 12 teaches that a woman is not it allowed to teach or have authority over a man. So here is the problem how can a mom not have authority over her man child (Her son) if she is not allowed to have authory over a man. She is saved (or delivered) from this in childbearing. that is the above rule about not having teaching or having authourity does not apply to your oum children.

1 Tim 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

6. Me2

Me2 New Member

I use 2:5 "One mediator" as the reference here. the focus is not towards giving birth but the process of rearing the children.

The woman is placed inside a "chain of command". underneath the man.

Christ..mediator before the Father.
    The man is the mediator before Christ.
    The woman is the mediator before the man (or the childs father).

Both learning submission. in this scripture the reference is toward the woman.
    Learning her place in the linage of submission.

on a more broad message....2:1-8...In Like Manner....2:9-15

Now, Could this be the anti thesis to Gen 3:16 ..greatly multiply sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children.....

or,... competing against the father for control over the children, instead of submitting before the father for leadership.

[ December 05, 2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Me2 ]

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2:11-15

Key thoughts: “authority and order”

ACTION: “Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.”

REASON: 1). “For Adam was first formed, then Eve” is based on a principle of creation before the fall.

REASON: 2). “Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.” is based upon the order of the fall (woman then man-the order was reversed in the fall) .

Yes, perhaps verse 15 (bolded above) refers back to the curse of the fall, (Genesis 3:16) “To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you..” Here order and authority are connected to childbirth.

Which brings us to the problematic phrase, “she shall be saved”.

The word “saved” can mean preserved, and means to keep from harm, damage, danger, evil, etc.

Paul is speaking to Christian women, so salvation is not the meaning of the phrase, “she shall be saved”. (emphasized by the phrase, “if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety”---unbelievers would not have faith)

Woman’s biblically stated purpose: Genesis 3: 18. “And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.” Genesis3:20. “And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
    Mans purpose: Genesis 3:15. “The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

If a woman is not to teach or have authority over the man, then she can fulfill her purpose by having children and “if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety” would insure that the God ordained order of her husband ruling over her would prevail.

This verse does not mean that the childless would not be preserved, only that in a complete or whole state this would be the case.

Lastly, Thanks for your contributions, this is still a study in progress…..additional comments are appreciated!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Hmmm. Cancel my previous post.
    Your thesis makes good sense to me, Deacon.

MR

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

However, what are your thoughts on exactly what she is being saved from?
    Everything else makes sense, though.

MR

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at the word "saved" as meaning kept from harm, damage, danger, or evil. It all goes back to the purpose, "...that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness (vs.2).

A word study of "adorn" in verse 9 supports this understanding of the verse further. (Greek-kosmeo: our word "cosmos" is is directly derived from this word), it means: to put in proper order, to arrange.

This interpretation sounds chauvinist and sexist an is not going to be popular from the viewpoint of our modern society, (Paul fails to say that she should be barefoot). :rolleyes:

11. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

It does not sound that way to me, but you are right it is not a popular viewpoint of our modern society. [​IMG]

HCL

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your ideas? [​IMG]

13. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

I think you all have come up with some excellent possiblities for what it means. Especially about order. [​IMG]

I used to think it meant that God would allow the female part of humanity to continue being born if we did the things listed there. I am still not sure which it means exactly but this has been a thought producing topic.

HCL

14. Me2

Me2 New Member

I often think of these verses referring to the intercessory prayers of the mother for the child.

Whether to the childs father, or to Christ...It still always the same..she's Lifting up
    "holy hands" for the childs behalf.

please, In No way should these verses be perceived as chauvinistic...

SHE'S BEING the childs servant. Just Like Christ.. [​IMG]

and Yes..This activity "saves" her..It brings her out of a stressed and confused mindset to one that has order and structure...The burdens now becomes the Lords burdens.

15. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I believe this verse to mean the preservation of Christianity. If women, who are often the main teachers of their children, continue in faith, loving them, and in control, this along with strong teachings will preserve those children in Christianity, our inheritance that needs to be passed on for the next generations.

16. Me2

Me2 New Member

Lets take a little closer look at this..

The example of Christ is a higher office (high priest) serving a lower order..the regular citizen.

Paul speaks of kings and all in authority pray before God asking for supplications, prayers, intercessions and giving thanks.

Again the idea of a higher authority serving a lower order..the regular citizen. Or those in need of their services.

Paul speaks that his will be that all men be saved..or come to the knowledge of the truth..or again in other words…to learn who Our lord jesus is..his character..his nature.

He states that Jesus is the mediator of men (male) and that this same jesus is Our sacrifice that is Offered before the father.

Then the switching of thought to the actions and position of women.

Dress moderately..act humbly..be the servant of man as is her created purpose..

But the last statement..shall be saved..they continue..childbearing…charity, holiness with sobriety.

In Genesis Eve is called mans helpmeet..Its her function to help Adam..or is it ?, maybe its, Adam to help Eve.
    A female is created a little lower than the male. Eve is the weaker vessel.

(For Adam to parallel Christ love for his Bride…The bride is "made a little lower" than Christ.)

Christ can Love (agape) his bride. A Higher Authority reaching down to help a lower positioned person.
    Man was made to be a little lower. Not because God is Chauvinistic but that Is his expression of himself, It is one of Agape Love towards his creature, which is made a little lower than Himself ..that's His Nature. Not that we deserve his love but that's His nature. Some say Love is God's Attribute….Nope….That's God's NATURE.
    We all have that inborn tendency to want to "give ourselves away" in agape love. The very image of Our God.

In Adams Expression of Agape love toward Eve…. is the Same As Eve towards her children.

It's the same parallel idea viewed from the mothers viewpoint. The mother is reaching down to another lower positioned person. Her child..Not that the child deserves it but it's the mothers desire to reach out in agape love to "give herself away".

That understanding Christs love for his bride. That's understanding His Nature. His Fathers Nature.
    That's understanding that God doesn't demand of us to get love from us, but that we are someone, whom He desires to Love. His Desire is to reach down to us.

"Saved" in this case means understanding the "rest" of God..by accepting Gods Agape love As he is reaching down to help his children.
    Its In the parallel idea of "reaching down" to help HER child.

[​IMG]
    Me2

17. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I believe that the "sorrow" or pain of childbirth is the punishment given for the sins of Eve's disobedience. I believe that a woman being saved in childbearing means that she is redeamed by the punishment for this sin which is pain.

[ December 13, 2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

18. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

This has nothing to do with spiritual salvation. You need to start back in Vs 11 and read through in Vs 12 teaches that a woman is not it allowed to teach or have authority over a man. So here is the problem how can a mom not have authority over her man child (Her son) if she is not allowed to have authory over a man. She is saved (or delivered) from this in childbearing. That she is allowed to rule and teach her child.

SO! She is saved from the rule (in vs. 12) though child bearing.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

19. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

This has nothing to do with spiritual salvation. You need to start back in Vs 11 and read through in Vs 12 teaches that a woman is not it allowed to teach or have authority over a man. So here is the problem how can a mom not have authority over her man child (Her son) if she is not allowed to have authory over a man. She is saved (or delivered) from this in childbearing. That she is allowed to rule and teach her child.

SO! She is saved from the rule (in vs. 12) though child bearing.

20. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Oh...well, that makes sense. Thanks.