1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved through the Passion of the Christ

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I wanted to share with everyone that I was listening to a local Christian radio station yesterday afternoon (99.3 WJQ here in GR, MI) when one of the radio announcers reported that she had a conversation with two teen boys visiting the studio that afternoon. When she asked them if they were going to see the movie they replied they didn't want to see anything that focused on murdering a prophet.

She explained to them what the movie was about and how Jesus had died for their sins. They were interested in hearing more and she shared with them the entire gospel message.

One of them prayed and accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior that afternoon.

Glory be to God!

2. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Yeah, I was saved through the Passion of Christ, but that was 11 years ago way before Mel Gibson made the movie!

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

But the Fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.

Diane

4. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

The problem with the film, as moving and artful it may be, is that it is a movie and the writers, producers and director has change what the Word of God tells us. "The Passion" may be a good movie and it may make a lot of money, but the Word of God is truth and it should be sufficient for our motivation for reaching a lost world. Movies come and go, but the Word of God is everlasting. The Word of God does not need changing to make you feel certain ways. It speaks for itself.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think it may make some people wonder what it's all about, hopefully they will know a Christian to ask. Christians who won't run them down for watching a movie, but will actually care enough to tell them the gospel. God can use anything, even this movie. It's a shame so many Christians want to limit Him to working only their way.

6. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Jailminister, you just said in five seconds and a handful of sentences what I've spent hours and volumes to explain, as you may notice by my posts. I'm also involved with a prison ministry, just beginning to help them with their web site actually. Bless you bro. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Do you ever watch the mountains Jailminister? How about the birds of the sky? Ever visit the sisteen chapel? Seen any artwork at all? It is all there for the glory of God, as is this film. It does not take the place of scriptures. Much like a Christmas play doesn't.

Glory be to God in the Highest.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Donna, there were people with small signs standing outside the movie identifying themselves as church members who were available if anyone wanted to ask questions or talk about the movie.

I wish all the naysayers would view this film with an open heart. It's very sad to me that they put such a mighty God in such a 'tiny box'.

Diane

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God can use the wrath of man to praise Him, and if the stones could cry out to His glory, I rejoice at Adam's report of one getting born again as a result of truly understanding the Passion of the Christ.

While not a proponent (like I am not a supporter of Billy Graham, either) I DO believe some good will come.

Hope to hear many testimonies and see lasting fruit from any evangelistic effort.

10. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I'm with you Dr. Bob. I'm in my church's FAITH team, I teach my Baptist Jr. High Sunday school students how to use tracts and give them new tracts frequently, I recently witnessed to a woman who died two weeks later after receiving Christ (lung disease), I love love love to witness.

THE PASSION is going to make my witnessing harder, not easier. It's going to make me discuss all the errors and heresies and falsifications in the film. I may have to spend alot of time dealing with questions about "Did this really happen?" No, Mel added that. "Did Mary really say that?" Not sure, Bible doesn't say, Mel added that because he's a Catholic and they pray to Mary. "Did this really occur?" No, that's based on a weird mystic's demented visions.

Thanks Mel, you just made witnessing a lot more complicated, not easier or simpler. I personally hope more good than bad comes from this film. I'm scared many more falsification Jesus films will be made, taking liberty with fantasy and dumping Biblical accuracy. I love Jesus. I hate lies and distortions of the Gospel. Call me "legalistic" "charismatic" "fundamental" so what?

11. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Brother Adam said
    Brother Adam, the difference is that God created the mountains and the birds. Those are His.
    The sisteen chapel and artwork and this film may be nice and maybe what another person thinks about God, but it is not as beautiful as God's Word. Everytime I spend time with God in His w Word and in prayer, I am lifted up. Those things that man make, may be nice, but just don't let it replace God. People go see the sisteen chapel to see the beautiful things man made. People enjoy artwork because of what Man made. People may enjoy this movie, but it is man made. However I am inspired by what God made.
    If this movie will help you then so be it. I just love Jesus because I know he is real and no movie can take that away or add to it.

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

That's awesome, Brother Adam! Hopefully this is the start of many, many, many coming to Christ. The harvest will be ripe after people see this film - we need to help with the reaping.

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Jailminister, I don't think anyone disagrees with you on that. God Bless.

BrianT,

Thank you for your words. That is why I developed a tract that is available for free to anyone who wishes to use it.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I haven't yet seen anyone suggest a movie can take God's place.
    What I have seen is people saying God can't use anything He wants to bring someone to Himself. Making rules for God to live by. We should never let personal opinion limit God. We should always leave room for God to prove we are wrong. Of course when He does some will only try and cast doubt on His works of salvation.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't know that it is totally fair Diane to put those who are not in agreement over the film of "putting God in a tiny box". :(

16. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Tell me why God would use a heretical, falsified film to advance His Kingdom? God is holy. His ways are not our ways. God uses His holy and exalted Word to save souls.

I really honestly don't believe God is pleased with this movie at all.

Why? Because it's an irreverently inaccurate and overly violent portrayal.

If you think God doesn't care if a Jesus film is accurate or not, I give up. You've got a very different view of God's holiness than I do. Oh, well we're still One Body of Christ. Love ya all. [​IMG]

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

You've got to let God out of the box, allow Him to work. Yep, His ways are not our ways, which means when we think He is limited, or we want to limit Him, He can do more then we think, or even in some cases more then we want Him to.
    Which I think is the case here.
    What are you going to do if people really do start getting saved? Or are you going to write them off?
    If you don't expect miracles, you may not see them when they happen.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thats pretty harsh criticism for someone who is so "anti-legalist." I am opposed to the film, but my God is not in any kind of box.

19. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I don't say it's just got "some inaccuracies" in it. I say it is wildly inaccurate, grossly morbid beyond any sense of true reverence, and contains many scenes and speeches that I'll have to explain as inauthentic when people ask about the movie and Jesus. Mary is NOT Co-Redeemer and it really is blasphemy to say or suggest or imply or hint at it being so. That said, I love my Catholic brothers and sisters and already posted a list of good Catholic things I like.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Pretty harsh for someone who has not seen this film. Without a disclaimer on every post, you're giving the impression you've seen it.

Diane