1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved through the Passion of the Christ

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yeah, it must be an epidemic. For instance, there's this one guy who goes on BaptistBoard and makes all kinds of idiotic claims that he can't back up about a movie he hasn't even seen yet.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

King Saul didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit either, did he?

Mike said: Yeah, it must be an epidemic. For instance, there's this one guy who goes on BaptistBoard and makes all kinds of idiotic claims that he can't back up about a movie he hasn't even seen yet.

Yep!!

Diane

3. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I see you didn't answer my question. I know Saul didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost. I am asking you or Mike Mck or anyone else that where in the bible is the scripture showing a Christian cannot be demon posessed?

I know many people claiming to be Christians who show much fruit of the Spirit , but yet at times they get back in the flesh and the old man of sin ressurrects. IOW, they get full of the devil sometimes, so where's the Scripture? :confused:

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Christian's cannot be demon possessed.

Diane
    </font>[/QUOTE]What about King Saul? We would believe that his mean streaks merit a demon posession, but then I guess he wasn't a Christian either.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I hate to be the one to break this to you....
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'll have to ask you to be specific Brother, please don't be so vague and underestimate me or confuse what I said?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I question your story. The film isn't even out in release yet. Most pastors who have prescreened it haven't yet had the time to prepare a sermon on it. The fact that this is Tuesday, and you failed to mention anything until now, leaves your story suspect. If it had been as part of a Sunday sermon, you no doubt would have posted something on Monday.

Sounds rather Benny Hinn - ish. A Spirit filled Christians is generally immune from demonic possession. That which belongs to God cannot be taken by Satan. Sounds to me like he simply disagreed with you, and you're exaggerating his reaction.

Yes, it sounds bizzarre and unreal. In fact, it sounds contrived and invented.

6. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

As I have perused through the many threads on BB regarding The Passion of the Christ, I have been so reminded of the dangers of what happens when we fail to separate theology from methodology.

I can only hope that the anti-Passionites are consistent in their line of reasoning and have eliminated every method from their approach except simply reading strictly from the Bible. Any other method (including descriptive preaching) would violate the logic they have displayed in these multiple threads.

One of the distinct difficulties of those who blend theology and methodology is consistency to its logical conclusion.

This is the same logic that is crippling multitudes of churches today who live in yesteryears while the culture around them starves for a timeless message communicated in a relevant fashion.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Saul wasn't a Christian.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

This thread is about the movie. Demon possession is another topic for another thread. If you want to start a new thread in "other doctrines" I'll be glad to discuss it with you there. (Just remember to remind me because I'll forget.)

9. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

I believe that both the Christian Community and the secular media are making too much of this. Christians hype it as a new gateway for evangelism and the secular media is so out of touch they can only criticize.
    I heard Marcus Lamb say last night that this movie will make an impact on Hollywood and he hopes they will make more films like it. If Hollywood heard that they would make movies on Mohammed and Buddha.

10. vaspers

vaspers New Member

At least if some maniac tries to make a gory violent movie about Buddha it'll be full of total inaccuracy.

He died from eating poison mushrooms. But in Mel's disrespectful hands, this could be "Lethal Mushroom Weapon."

11. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I viewed the movie this mornining. Like others I had to spend some time thinking through what I had seen and wondering what if any effect it would have on the cause of Christ. I do not normally recommend movies and I will not go out of my way to recommend this one, nor will I discourage anyone from seeing this movie.

I wondered after viewing the movie if a lost person just saw the movie without any other point of reference would they understand the message. I was left to conclude that they would not. That being said one of my church leaders took some of his family members who were not saved to a showing last evening, then spent a couple of hours talking about what they had seen and sharing what the Word says and two of them received Christ as their Saviour. Praise God!

If anything I see this movie as a possible bridge that may get people talking and asking questions. That is where we can come along side and share the truth. If this film is used of God to open up opportunities, then I am grateful to Him.

Contrary to what has been stated in this and other threads, there was no mention or indication of Mary being presented as the "co-redemtrix". The vail of Veronica portion was a little much, especially if you know the tradition held within the RCC. They did not leave Him on the cross but brought in the Resurrection, as it should be. The traditions of the stations of the cross is clearly seen, I don't put much stock in these (just someone's view).

One thing I did find interesting was the place of the crucifixion. I have been to Israel twice and according to the church of Rome the Church of the Holy Seplicur is the location of the crucifixion. This is within the city proper. In the film the crucifixion took place outside the city, as I believe it would have.

Just some thoughts. Time will tell the impact of the film. Regardless of the films impact we must be faithful to share Christ.

Bro Tony

12. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Bro Tony, well reasoned response brother. I sincerely appreciate your post. But did not the violence bother you?

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Vaspers,

The matter of the violence in the movie has left me with not knowing how I feel. I honestly am still working through that issue. I know when I have preached about the crucifixion and describe what historically a person went through it can be pretty graphic. I must add that when I speak of the unbelievable physical torture, I remind the people that the burden of sin was more than we can imagine. After all many men died on the cross, but only Jesus died on the cross and bore our sins. To me the most moving portion of the movie was not all the violence, but when the actor portraying Jesus spoke words of forgiveness to the thief. (I could see myself in the theif).

Again, was the Gospel clearly portrayed in a way that a person who did not have the back ground understand what was going on. I don't think so. I wish there could have been a clear presentation of why all this took place.

Now that the movie is out, I pray the Lord will use us to answer people's questions about the true Gospel.

Bro Tony

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

One thing is certain.

When we say that Christ shed his blood for us, that's such a cliche, that we don't really have a concept of what it means. If Mel's movie is allowing people to have a greater concept of that phrase, then perhaps none os uf will take Jesus' sacrifice for granted.

15. onestand

onestand New Member

Vaspers, I am noticing your biggest fear is that somehow unbelievers or believers are going to recieve a distorted view of the gospel truth. When an unbeliever goes to a movie like this, the one thing running through their mind is not going to be if there are falsehoods shown, it will show them what one man called Jesus went through and then died, their question will be why, why did this happen and what did he do so wrong? I know how to find any truth against the movie in scripture if I have any questions about the movie's content, it will not be distorted to me, I am going for the simple fact of being reminded visually the sacrifice Jesus made. If you have yet to see the movie, you really wouldn't know if it's completely factual anyway, and please don't say you don't need first hand knowledge to know what's trash because in many cases you do have to. Many people see things in different lights and views which is why when an accident happens more than one person is sought out for a description because each person sees the same thing differently, regardless of the real truth.

Joan

16. onestand

onestand New Member

Johnv...AMEN! That's what I think as well. Not everything is going to have a conclusion spoken clearly as to why the situation happened, even though that would be awesome, but I really believe this will strike so many questions of why, what did this man called Jesus do to deserve such a horrid death??

Joan

17. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I'm with you all the way Johnv and onestand about us needing to appreciate the sacrifice more, while hoping we also rejoice in the resurrection.

I'd love to see a film that *began* with the resurrection, really made it beautifully exciting and amazing,then gloriously displayed the ascension with tripped out special effects, moved to the day of Pentecost, and went into the beginning days of the early church of Acts, healings, teachings, martyrdom (not gory tho), sermons, confrontations.

18. shawna w

shawna w New Member

Have ANY of you seen this movie??? Does it matter why the "multitudes" go to see it as long as they get the "MESSAGE". Listen to yourselves(or read) anyone who is a non-believer woud turn away. I would and have been born again for more than 25 years. This movie is not only Biblical but so realistic that you cannot help but be moved by not only what Jesus did but what His FATHER had to do for his son. Could any of you as Parents do it? I honestly don't think I could answer that question with a yes.

§hawna

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Come on! Be accurate. Are the myth of St. Veronica Biblical, the nuns, etc. Biblical? It does generally follow the story line fairly well but it embellishs it with Roman Catholic myth. Also, the doctrinal content is definitely Roman Catholic theology. Roman Catholic soteriology is hersey--period!

I question how many people will be brought to a true saving faith in Jesus Christ. Roman Catholic theology doesn't bring one to saving faith in Christ. Some may profess a moving religious experience but Bob Dylan claimed to be a Christian after being moved by watching a beautiful sunset. Likewise, many people claim miracles and religious experiences from Lourdes. Many professed blessings in travel from their St. Christopher, who didn't exist, medals. There's all kinds of human sentiment out there but it's not truth and it's not Scriptural. Just because you puddle up from watching a movie doesn't save you.

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

The problem is that it gives a wrong concept. Do you really understand what it means? You do seem to accept the Roman Catholic concept of Christ's sacrifice. Furthermore, you probably should be talking about feeling or catharsis because what you are really saying here and in a dozen other posts is not about doctrine, TRUTH, and understanding, but feeling. In a nutshell, you, and others, want to feel an emotion connected with the idea. Mel Gibson helps you experience that as he sells his false teachings. Feeling does not identify and validate TRUTH. In this case, emotions muddy the water to keep folks from discerning TRUTH from error.

Bye. [​IMG]