1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saving lives by force

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by peteyo69, Apr 23, 2004.

1. peteyo69

peteyo69 New Member

I have a pretty serious issue that I'm really confused about, and I'm wondering if you all could help me. [​IMG]
    It's about the use of force (violence) when it's to save lives. Obviously it's OK in war, because the state has authorized it. And it's OK when you're using force to protect people who are in your own family, obviously.
    But what about others? Like, if you see someone on the street who's about to be stabbed or something, and you have the ability to help, shouldn't you step in and maybe tackle the criminal, and even hurt him if that's what it will take to save the other's life? That's what I've always assumed we should do. I know it's up to the state and the police to carry out justice normally, but if they can't get there in time (or are uwilling to), I'd think force would be OK, right?
    But now...I was thinking about how this applies to abortion and abortionists. If unborn babies are as much human persons as everyone else, wouldn't the same ethic apply in terms of saving their lives by force if necessary? (which it is, since abortion is legal :mad: ) And in this case, the perpetrator would be the abortion doctor, right? Because we know he plans to murder many more babies in his career.
    So...and I know this seems crazy maybe, but...wouldn't it be OK to maybe "put out of commission" the abortionist? I don't mean kill, if at all possible. I just mean, injure so that he can't perform any more abortions and kill babies.
    Can someone please tell me why this would be wrong if you think it is? I just don't get it. :( It seems that if you say that using force on abortionists is wrong, you'd also have to say that using force on other (potential) murderers is wrong if they're about to kill someone. The only way you could say one is right and the other wrong is if you don't think the unborn baby is worth as much as the other person...but as Christians I don't think we believe that.
    So thanks in advance! ;)

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

When you say put out of commission the abortion doctors, what weapon of choice would you recommend we use on their hands:

hammer
    shotgun
    screwdriver
    nails
    hot iron
    blowtorch
    acid

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

What you need to understand is that we are in the Church age, the age of grace. Without looking up the passages, you know how the Lord Jesus said to let the wheat and the tares to grow together. In another place the disciples asked Jesus if they should call down fire and brimstone on some people who opposed Him and He rebuked them.
    I am adamantly opposed to abortion, but what you propose is very scary. This is the rational that the radical fringe use to justify the killing of people, bombing, etc.,
    We did not so learn Christ.

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Yes, I agree, you are confused. Your post is scary, that a Christian could consider these things. I always thought that being a Christian was showing the love of Jesus.

"Vengance is mine sayeth the Lord"

Sheila

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

While abortion is a sin and murder in the eyes of Almighty God--unfortunetly mankind has made a law among themselves to justify it. It is therefore considered legal to abort babies while at the same time it would be considered murder to kill the abortion doctor. Same time it is against the law to disrupt services at the clinic through bombing and even threatening with violence.

If I see a crime in progress--it would be against the law for me not to render some sort of aid to the victom of that crime--if I am physically able I would render the suspect incapable until law officers arrive on the scene--it is against the law for a witness to a crime not to testify in the court of law. It is against the law for a person to refuse to render aid and assistance to accident victoms if that witness is one of the first few upon the scene.

But again---unfortunetly in the case of abortion--there is hardly nothing physical we can do to stop it---like wrestle the doctor down to the ground. On the other hand there IS something physcial we can do---we can petition legislation, write letters to congressmen, educate the public at school, work, and church against the dangers and unethical practices of abortion.

Spiritually, we can stay on our knees and send prayers to the very throne of Glory asking the Lord to intercede in behalf of the victoms. I believe if you ask Him---He would be more ready Himself to change the mind of the abortion doctor or the mother having the abortion---than He would see you with a load of TNT doing what it is you're not supposed to do with that TNT---know what I mean??

Brother David