1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saving the NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jun 14, 2007.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another article stating how the NBA playoffs need a major overhaul.

I agree with some of his points, but this will never happen IMO. Besides, even if this format was used the Spurs would still be your 2007 champions!

GO SPURS GO!!!

Oh,sorry, here is the link to the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bill Simmons...as Bugs Bunny would say...is a maroon. This is the same Bill Simmons that dogged Lebron the entire season, comparing his work ethic to that of an adult film star, and then when he dropped 48 on Detroit, basically wrote a love letter the following day saying how he is now the saviour of the NBA. His $.02 isn't worth a penney to me.

Having said that, each conference should be seeded by record. It was ridiculous having Chicago being a fifth seed...but having home court in the first round.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Who's the dork who didn't figure out the series was over until 10 minutes into game 2? How out of touch do you have to be to be that person?

I think there are some good ideas. But the biggest thing is that the NBA is viewed as a bunch of street hooligans, whether right or wrong. There are not Magics or Birds, or even Jordans ... people who were larger than life in the game. I do think the league is watered down somewhat.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought a series was over once a team reached 4 wins.

I hope you are not calling me a "dork", pastor.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Nah, Webdog, I am kidding ... Kind of ... But seriously speaking, I don't know of anyone who thought Cleveland had a legitimate shot to win the series, much less a game or two. SA is that much better. I don't think it takes 58 minutes of basketball to figure that out.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe the Cavs should just forfeit tonight, then.

Detroit was supposed to win in 5 too...they were "that much better", too.

USA Today poll had 43% picking Cleveland, and 57% picking SA, so that hardly supports what you have said.

#6 webdog, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Online polls and newspaper polls are typically driven by fans, not people who know. Detroit should have won in five. They were a better team than Cleveland. But five games that could have gone either way and a blow out after a fourth quarter tie or one point game was the series. That's the way it goes.

But SA would have beat Detroit handily as well, probably five games.

As for forfeiting tonight, no, play the game. But SA will win going away probably. I know you are a Cleveland fan and that makes it hard to see objectively, but Cleveland is not a legitimate contender. They need to go out and get Lebron some help.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: Pretty funny coming from someone who still claims the Pistons are the better team :laugh:

I don't ever recall saying the Cavaliers were the better team. I said before the series started if they played D the way they did against Detroit, NJ, and Washington they could beat anyone. They haven't, for the most part, and not having Larry Hughes healthy has also hurt. Take Parker out of the game with the same injury and see what happens.

#8 webdog, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

They are.

I thought your whole point about them beating Detroit was that they were the better team because they won.

You think Larry Hughes and Tony Parker are equivalent exchanges?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Keep believing it if you like.
    They were better than Detroit. They aren't better than SA, and I never claimed they were.
    No, but larry Hughes is our Tony Parker.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, aren't all the playoffs decided by who is the best team in the head to head, seven game series, seeded by the best regular season records which go out the window at that time? Or am I mistaken in this? Were the Mavericks better than the Warriors over the regular season? Definitely! Better in the playoff series? Hardly. Ditto the Pistons and the Cavaliers. That is how the system operates, and I, personally, accept the verdict on the court. And I saw about twenty minutes of two games in the playoffs that were televised on the network, for I was not interested in paying for cable or a satellite, just for that.

Ed