1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Savior versus Sacrament

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 26, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Like normal you pervert the words of scripture and my words. Here is your original charge:

"Yet Matthew 7:21-23 doesn't mention the Catholic Church does it" - WM

I responded that I never said it did, and I didn't as the terms "Catholic Church" are not found in the text.

You responded that I did make such a claim in response to Walter - which is a lie. Nowhere in my response to Walter did I say the "Catholic Church" is mentioned in Matthew 7 or anywhere else in scripture.

What I said is that the Roman Catholic "SYSTEM OF SALVATION" is condemned in Matthew 7:13-14,21-23 and it is!

You can't remember your own charge. You build a straw man and burn it and then blame others for your straw man imagination.

2. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Catholics know they are saved by God's grace (mercy). Why do keep spouting that?

WM

3. WestminsterMan

Are these your words or not?

They are. My charge stands.

WM

#23 WestminsterMan, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    because the RCC repudiates the Apostolic teaching of being saved by God based upon the merits of the atonement of jesus ALONE, received in full by faith ALONE, and sustitutes a mixture of grace and works co mingling, that is codemned by paul!

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Originally Posted by The Biblicist
    That is precisely my point! When I expose sacramentalism as a false doctrine I am exposing a false system of salvation embraced by the "many" of Matthew 7:13-14 whereas only the "few" really believe in salvation by grace.

Catholicism is the "Mother" of sacramentalism and those sacramentalists that historically have been derived from her. The Scriptures speak of only two opposing contrasts - justification by works versus grace and Catholicism is the consistent representative of the "works" position while Baptists are the consistent representative of the "grace" position.

Obviously your reading comprehension is not too good! I dare you even to find either the word "Catholic" or "church" in my statement much less a statement that says "the Catholic Church is found in Matthew 7:13-14; 21-23.

What I was addressing was "sacramentalism" as a "doctrine" and "SYSTEM OF SALVATION" is spelled out in these passages.

The only words that even came close to saying "Catholic" was my statement that "Catholocism is the 'Mother' of sacramentalism" and that "Catholocism is the consistent representative of the 'works' position."

However, I never said that the terms "Catholic church" were found in that passage and anyone reading these two paragraphs can easily see that. You are just hard pressed to find something since you can't defend the confession made by the "MANY" to be any different than the confession of Roman Catholics at judgment day in substance.

If you want to argue that by INFERENCE

6. WestminsterMan

Right. So you know what Catholics believe better than they themselves. Talking with you is an enormous waste of time.

WM

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know the decrees of the Council of trent, correct? they denied salvation by faith alone in the finished work of Christ upon the Cross...

THAT alone makes them Apostate, and NOT the true church, not even a real church!

8. WestminsterMan

May I remind you that the doctrine of faith alone comes from the reformers and is thus a man-made doctrine.

WM

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Which of the reformers wrote the Book of Romans?

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There is no such thing as "the doctrine of faith alone." The doctrine expressed more fully is "justification by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone without works" or simply "justification by faith alone."

Don't substitute the term "salvation" and generalize it. We are talking specifically about the doctrine of justification of "the ungodly" (Rom. 4:5) "before God" (Rom. 4:1) rather than pragmatic justification of baptized beleiving church members or as James puts it "one of you" (James 2:16) before men "shew me.....shew you" (James 2:18).

11. WestminsterMan

Hmmm... I seemed to have missed the operative word "alone" following the word "faith" in that passage.

WM

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The word "alone" does not have to be in the text if the context demands everything else is excluded but faith.

Romans 3:27-28 is an example
    Romans 4:5-6 is an example
    Romans 4:21 is an example

Just like the word "Trinity" does not have to be in a text if the context demands such a truth as in Matthew 28:19 for example.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, you just were not reading the right Bible. You needed to have read Martin Luther's Bible where he penciled it in. :)

And, no, before the false accusers start on me, I do not believe in faith plus works for salvation, but let's be honest about the text, folks.

#33 Michael Wrenn, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Yes, lets be honest. The word "alone" does not have to be in a text if the context excludes everything else but faith as in the following texts in their context:

1. Rom. 3:27-28
    2. Rom. 4:5-6
    3. Rom. 4:21
    4. Eph. 2:8-10
    5. Gal. 3:10-12

Yes, lets be honest. The term "trinity" is not found in any text but the doctrine is certainly expressed without it in context.

BTW why do you call others names? "The false accusers"?

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I didn't single anyone out, did I?

But I just don't know what came over me. I mean, I have absolutely no reason to think anyone on here would falsely accuse anyone of anything. They'd never do that. :rolleyes:

And about your texts. You shouldn't have left out the Book of James, which Luther wished wasn't in the Bible.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Go back and look at the post I was responding to! The basis of that post was that only in James was the words "faith only" can be found. My post was in response to that post and so we began with the inclusion of James but demonstrating that one need not the word "only" in a text if the context excluded everything else but faith.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I suppose that is like one trying to be precise in their confession of faith:
    "I believe in the trinity, without any additions."
    You would have wanted Paul to redundantly clarified himself as in the above statement.

18. 33ad

33ad New Member

It's not either or it's both god left us a road map to salvation in the bible explains the sacrements to assists us for salvation

No matter how hard you try as a baptist you have sacrements

1) every time you baptize with water and trinity it's a sacrement

2) every time a couple gets married with the intent of it being permanent to their 1st spouse and are open to children it is a sacrement

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are no sacraments in the Bible. Show me one. Show me the word.
    Don't make assertions without evidence, otherwise it is just foolish assertions.
    Says who? Jack Frost?
    Where does the Bible call this a sacrament? It doesn't.

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The term "sacramentum" (musterion/musterium) is never once used in scripture in connection with or to describe baptism, the Lord's Supper, ordination or marriage.

The theology of sacramentalism is plainly and explicitly repudiated by scriptures (Lk. 5:12-15; Rom. 4:5-12; Eph. 2:8-10; Titus 3:5; Heb. 10:1-4; Acts 10:43; etc.).

However, it does characterize the Great Whore:

Re 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

#40 The Biblicist, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012