1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saying what you believe is clearer than saying Calvinist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mexdeaf, Jan 21, 2011.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Amy.
    Thought you may not want to interact with the "bad boy" of BB. lol.
    but you are correct. And the way is CHRIST. And the builder of the way is God.

again, this is a true Scripture. The question is: does it apply to every Tom, Dick and Harry of humankind ? Will every Tom, Dick and Harry of humankind believe ? Obviously, without the Spirit quickening their dead (separated from God) spirits they won't.
    Besides, you're not going to accept my take on this, but in reading the Bible I found that whenever the verse refers to salvation or destruction because of an input or absence of one from the subject (in this case, the Israelites, who are a picture of God's elect people), it is in connection with gospel blessings, not eternal redemption.

Peter, under inspiration of the Spirit, cannot be wrong. The letter was written to believers, for believers, about believers. These false teachers were blood-bought and therefore owned by their Redeemer.

Only if Christ stands up from His throne, throw out His redeemed already with Him, puff their souls out of existence, and shut the doors of heaven forever more.

You think He will do that ?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's like asking, why do newlyweds . . . ? —nevermind. You get the picture.

We evangelize and witness because we love the Gospel, we love our fellow man, and we just love witnessing.

It is an especial condescension of God that He has chosen to work His plan of Redemption through the preaching of His creatures.

Actually, the freewill Baptists kind of rank right up there with the snake-handlers in my estimation.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I love this statement by one of the Calvinists at that site.

I know what this fellow meant to say, but he got it right anyway.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You beat me to it.

Some say this is a hard passage, but it's only hard to understand if you're looking through the lens of Calvinism.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I always enjoy you Pinoy. :)

If these false teachers were redeemed then what is their "swift destruction"?

No Way!!!

You know I don't agree with you but thanks for being civil. :wavey:

6. mets65

mets65 New Member

If it doesn't depend on us to believe in him then what's the point? What would be the point in Jesus doing what he did if God could just make everyone saved? That's the whole point is that we find ourselves in our unrighteousness missing something and we make the conscience effort to accept him as our savior. God doesn't want a person on this earth to go to hell. No not one. So if Calvinism is true why would he elect just certain people, why not all people? Are you saying he's not powerful enough to save all? Or are you saying that he doesn't love everyone? Or that he loves some more then others? Or is their a capacity limit in heaven? The blood is efficient and sufficient regardless of our choice. If someone chooses to give someone a million dollars in this country but it's up to you to submit your claim to get it, then it's basically being left up to you. It's kind of like look I'm giving you this awesome gift but you've got to at least come get it. Saying that it's man's choice to accept Christ is not in any way downplaying what Christ did for us. It's the simple fact that God gives us the choice, and if we choose not to accept, as foolish as it may be then it's our catastrophic loss. If we don't have the choice then what's the point of even living this life? Look I know not all calvinists are anti-witnessing or anti-missions, but really if God has already elected certain people and they will be saved no matter what, then what's the point?

Like I said the blood is effective, it's up to us to go choose it. God loves us, but like a supreme parent says look I'm not going to make that choice for you, you're going to have to do that.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, when you are trying to convince yourself that a verse is saying the exact opposite of what it clearly says, it can get a bit confusing.

[image too big]

#87 Winman, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so the line is drawn......so be it!:thumbs:

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Most Baptists in the early days were Calvinists. It wasn't until Finney came along with his 'new evangelism' that many changed over to the '1-2-3-pray after me' side.

I see it as a return to our Scriptural roots.

10. mets65

mets65 New Member

Things typically are suppose to progress with the gain of knowledge though. We don't still believe the world is flat because that's how the earlier generations believed. (And yes I know they didn't think the world was flat when Columbus set sail)

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

A Calvinist is NOT a hyper-Calvinist by definition. Some wish to make it so. In fact, the writer of the article cited above says this:

As people of God, it behooves us to speak truthfully and accurately about our theological position, both our own and that of those around us. Anything else is an outright lie and in violation of the Scriptures that command us to be people of truth.

Let the truth of each position stand or fall on its merits and Scriptural backing, but at least spell out the positions accurately out of respect for those who hold them.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have stated before, I don't use the term Calvinist for several reasons. The first being that biblical soteriology is much too big to bear the name of any man. The second is when most people hear the term they don't think of the canons of Dort, but of the caricature of those great doctrines they have been taught by equally ignorant men. And, thirdly, I disagree with Calvin on many subjects so it would be inconsistent for me to call myself after a man I have several serious disagreements with.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what do you call yourself....Reformed?

17. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!!! :thumbs:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the clay tells the potter what makes sense & what he will do now.......forgive me if Im not convinced or impressed by your argument.

19. mets65

mets65 New Member

The only thing I wish to ask you is why would God deny salvation to a certain number of people?

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

That article you posted shows why it is a false argument for Calvinists to constanty accuse non-Cals of misrepresenting your position. You have no one position that all who call themselves Calvinist agree to.