1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Abstract and Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Dec 6, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  3. I Don't Know

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

No, we haven't, but evidently you have. Who is ergun caner?

So, you want a biblical mandate for calvinism, but you do not want a biblical mandate for baptism?

How do you place calvinism ahead of baptism for importance among baptists?

I have never known 'calvinism' to be labeled a baptist distinctive, but I have always known baptism to be a distinctive.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Jim;
    While it's true God is Sovereign I have no doubt of it and certainly He has a right to do what ever He wishes to do. It's His Sovereign right to choose all men for Salvation if that's His desire. It's also His right to do what we would disagree with. We can't limit possibilities, because all things are possible with God.
    I don't deny that God chose the Jews to be a peculiar people but gentiles are adopted. We've been grafted into that which we were not originally a part of. Gentiles were added in after and because of the rejection of Christ. His plan no doubt from the beginning.
    If Christ indeed died for the whole world then the whole world has been chosen to and for Salvation. As I said before this doesn't mean the whole world will be saved but that the whole world might be saved John 3:17
    God loves all the world enough to allow the sacrifice of His own Son so that who ever believes can have eternal life. John 3:16 these two verses show that God's focus was on the whole world and not just some of the world.
    I haven't a clue where this idea of particular election came from except maybe Augustine or one of the reformers. I don't pretend to fully understand it but what I do understand of it I do not believe in. I've never seen it explained in scripture. If you have please show me. I cannot accept what isn't in scripture. This below is in scripture.
    1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

This says Christ died for all men as a ransom. Certainly this ransom is worthy of all men, just as this passage says. His choosing to die paying this ransom is most certainly our choosing for Salvation. All that's left is our belief and submission to Him. Our belief is a result of His work not ours and our submission is a result of our willingness to submit because of what we have come to believe.
    MB

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Where did you get that idea? I never said that.

==I don't know that I am placing Calvinism ahead of baptism and I am not sure what this has to do with the Abstract.

==Who is Ergun Caner?

4. bound

bound New Member

YES! :tongue3: