1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC again up in arms over the BWA

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jimmy C, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I know we have beat this into the ground, and that I am in a huge minority here as a supporter of the BWA, but I think it is comical that SBC kicked the BWA out of SBC life - and cut off thier funding and now stays upset that the BWA is soliciting funds from SBC churches.

Did they think that the BWA would just fold up thier tent and go quietly in the night? Being that the BWA is baptist, was funded mainly by the SBC and is it really a suprise that the BWA would go after thier old partners?

Here is the link to the Baptist Press article of 12/13/04

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=19714

If the SBC executive board is correct, and most churches oppose the BWA - they will go away. I happen to believe that there are enough people and churches that agree with the purpose and goals of the BWA that they will keep a strong witness for Christ world wide

2. semstudent

semstudent New Member

My view is that the BWA is just seeking money to fund their own denomination. I have no problem with churches suppoorting the BWA, CBF, or any other organization. The fact of the matter is this: their beliefs do not agree with the majority of SBC members so instead of riding the fence just pull out of the SBC and find fellowship with others that believe the same moderate heresy.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the above linked article, Draper is speaking:

When did this take place? Did anyone else recieve these appeals directly from the BWA? I don't remember this being apart of the "reasoning" for leaving the BWA.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Semstudent

I dont understand what you are getting at - they were put out of the SBC - some say rightly so, others no. They are not riding a fence, but are now appealing directly to churches - including SBC. Not much different that any other parachurch mission organization.

Go2chruch - I dont recall seeing this as a reason the SBC was upset at the BWA before either. I do not recall a request for funds ever coming from the BWA before they were put out.

5. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

These "charges" that the ABC is pro-homosexuality are ludicrous. I grew up as a SB and now I am an American Baptist. As far as my church is concerned, I see no difference between it and moderate SBC churches. I only say moderate because I believe the SBC fundamentalists have two things driving them, politics and power.

6. semstudent

semstudent New Member

By the way, you left more thing that drives us conservative "fundamental" Southern Baptists; the Word of God. How appropraite to leave that out, don't you think? [​IMG]

PS Must we classify all conservative Southern Baptist's fundamentalist?

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, walks like a duck, smells like a duck then its a fundamentalist!

8. semstudent

semstudent New Member

I thought it was a duck!

How your words are filled wisdom and compassion. It's odd that you did not adress the Word of God or define fundamental; and they call me simple-minded.

[​IMG]

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are more liberal than fundamentalist.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that a quack I hear?

11. StraightAndNarrow

By the way, you left more thing that drives us conservative "fundamental" Southern Baptists; the Word of God. How appropraite to leave that out, don't you think? [​IMG]

</font>[/QUOTE]Where do you see the word of God quoted in any of these posts? I wonder why you picked on a member of an ABC church to say that. OPf course I believe in the Word. Do you?

12. StraightAndNarrow

</font>[/QUOTE]Where do you see the word of God quoted in any of these posts? I wonder why you picked on a member of an ABC church to say that. OPf course I believe in the Word. Do you? BTW, I don't think the word of God is a prime mover in the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC. As I said previously, it's all about politics and power. I personally hate to see a great force for God destroyed as it has been for secular reasons.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jimmy C said:

"I dont recall seeing this as a reason the SBC was upset at the BWA before either. I do not recall a request for funds ever coming from the BWA before they were put out."

I can't recall it either, though I think the seed was there.

" In other action, council members approved bylaw changes that will permit associate membership for local Baptist churches and other organized Baptist groups such as state Baptist conventions, colleges and mission organizations. The changes also permit individual Baptists to become personal members. BWA membership previously was limited to national or regional Baptist conventions and unions."

" 'This has nothing to do with the present controversy we have,' Lotz said, alluding to the recent withdrawal of its largest member body, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC). 'We began almost 10 years ago to question: 'What does membership mean in the 21st century?' "

— Quoted from Associated Baptist Press

The BWA didn't approve the change in its by-laws until August.

14. semstudent

semstudent New Member

[/QUOTE]Is that a quack I hear? [/QB][/QUOTE]
    It's quite fitting that you have no sense of humor However I do find your behavior quite comical. I also find it very unChristlike to be an instigator and not a peacemaker. The problem is that I will get no where with an unregenerate human. Thank you for this dialogue, I bid you farewell. [​IMG]

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sem,

Your pompousity is dully noted, I thought we were "dear friends" guess not, uh? Also thanks for pointing out that I am unregenerate, the church I have been pastor will probably want to know this information.

16. jimbob

jimbob New Member

what does acronym:
    SBC
    BWA
    ABC
    mean ?

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC: Southern Baptist Convention

BWA: Baptist World Alliance (of which 211 conventions and unions worldwide are members, but not the SBC

ABC: American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A (more commonly known as ABC-USA) the organization that succeeded the Northern Baptist Convention

18. semstudent

semstudent New Member

"Not every one who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven" Matt 7:21a

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sem,

Then you probably should be real careful, uh?

BTW anyone else here that you have determined is unregenerate? We don't want them going on uninformed about the condition of their salvation either, now do we!?