1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC: An unregenerate Denomination by Jim Elliff

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ruiz, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I say Protestantism is a denomination?, though in a sense it is - based on the second definition of denomination.

For the sake of argument, what is you definitions of a Protestant?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Too often "independent churches" is used as a scapegoat to do nothing when a church needs to be disciplined. Leaders in the SBC do not have to exercise any discipline and use the excuse that they are unable to. My question is this: What kind of discipline and claim to belief in the Bible is that? I would contend that it is nothing more than useless atheistic lip service.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What did you protest to define your theology?

4. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Protestants are those who are not Catholic. Yes, I join the other early Baptists like those who studied under Calvin at Geneva. I do believe their view of Scriptures and salvation is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe in the 5 Solas of the Reformation, Faith Alone, Grace Alone, Christ Alone, Scripture Alone, and for the Glory of God Alone.

Aren't these truths enough to stand for and protest any supposed Christian group who are against these truths? I do!

5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Protestant are those who traditionally protested the Catholic view of Scripture and Salvation while advancing the theology known as the 5 Solas.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying that Mormons, Muslims, American Indians (Great white spirit) among others are Protestants?

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he is referring to his Evangelical Free home church?
    EFCA allows for paedobaptism as well as real baptism.

#27 Jerome, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
  8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Jerome,

No, I was referring to what traditional particular Baptists refer to as being both Baptist and Protestant. I hold to the London Baptist Confession 1689. When I have been the Senior Pastor, I did not nor ever have endorsed paedoBaptism. Rather, I endorse reformation doctrine as outlined above.

Spurgeon referred to himself as a Protestant, recounting "We protestants" on June 15, 1860 in a letter to his congregation. Even Bunyan embraced Protestantism. I understand why some sects reject protestantism like the followers of Mennos and Church of Christ adherents. Particular Baptists, though, have generally embraced Protestantism (though there are exceptions, especially Landmarkists). I am neither a Landmark Baptist, a Mennonite, or a General Baptist. I am a Particular Baptist... Holding to 5 Solas, but also to a Credo-Baptist doctrine. Most of the theologian friends I have, no matter their position on this issue, could affirm, I am vocal proponent of Particular Baptist doctrines.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. So how is your vocal opposition to paedo-"baptism" received in your Evangelical Free church?

10. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Jerome,

You obviously do not know my church. My church is credo-Baptist and would never allow for paedo-baptism. While our church enjoys a diversity in several other areas of theology (though we are all Baptistic), I think I am safe to say that that we are 100% credo-Baptist. I, as well, do not like speaking for my church and wish that to be done by an official proclamation of the Elders. For me to do so would be presumptuous upon them and dishonoring of the roles God has given to us. However, if you have a problem with our church, we have a solid process developed by Peacemakers that would address such inquiries. I believe we have had 1 graduate of Bible College, 2 Seminary Grads, and one former Evangelist. All of us are strongly Baptistic in our theology.

Thus, seeking to label us using a logical fallacy is not helpful. To be honest with you, of all the churches I have Pastored or been a member, my current church is the hardest to label... but there is great grace in our church on minor issues.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh.
    Evangelical Free churches have traditionally countenanced paedo-"baptisms".
    I am pleased to learn that the Evangelical Free church you attend does not.:thumbs:

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I am a Baptist, but not a Protestant. Baptists were around before Protestants started the Reformation.

In early America, Protestants persecuted Baptists.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

From the Kansas Nebraska Convention of Southern Baptists website [emphasis added]:

Constitution and Bylaws.pdf

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you claiming that Baptists were around before Luther and Calvin?

15. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

No, certain sects of Christians persecuted Baptists. As well, some sects of Christians fought to not have them persecuted. It was not all Protestants (while Episcopals left the Catholic church, for instance, they did not leave due to theological reasons nor hold to what I believe Protestants hold to.)

I also agree with another person is curious about Baptists existing before the Reformation. Most of those trail of blood ideas go through heretics (at worst) or people with theology that you assume may have been Baptists.

I am a Protestant; I am a Baptist.

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Oh great.

1st, the SBC isnt a denomination :laugh:, and NOW they are not protestants. :eek:

My oh my oh my. :BangHead:

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

What???

My church is not SBC, but the SBC churches I was involved with in years past did indeed practice discipline.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what is the rest of the story- I am not familiar with the case above, but I assume that the association paid for the building.

IN the case of Episcopal churches, the local churches paid for their buildings, but the title was with the Diocese.
    That is quite a difference.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In disciplining a church?

20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yep. They weren't always known as Baptists. Baptist was the name given to them by their enemies. But they were there.