1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Backing Confederate Memorial removal

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DMorgan56, Sep 22, 2017.

1. DMorgan56

DMorgan56 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Baptists Back Confederate Monument Removal in Memphis

"
    The SBC’s Steve Gaines, senior pastor of Bellevue Baptist Church, joined more than 150 Memphis-area clergy in a letter requesting the state historical commission relocate a statue of Memphis native Nathan Bedford Forrest. The Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader is buried in a city park that bore his name until 2013.

Gaines also spoke out in favor of removing Confederate president Jefferson Davis’s statue from another downtown location, formerly called Confederate Park.

Both “are a source of offense to many citizens of Memphis due to Forrest’s and Davis’ support of the enslavement of African Americans,” he told Baptist Press. Two Civil War battles took place in the city, including a failed raid led by Forrest."

How do SBC'ers here feel about this?

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want my church to pull out is how I feel. These people are being played by the left like mindless puppets. I have never seen smart people be so naive and foolish.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is appropriate for local pastors to speak their convictions regarding local issues. What is reported here sounds reasonable.

However, the way the headline is written and the impression that some may have about the President of the SBC is that the President of the SBC sets doctrinal and social policy and speaks the official position of the Convention and its churches. That is not true at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DMorgan56

DMorgan56 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While we know that, those not cognizant of Baptist autonomy see the SBC as a governing body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I loved Steve Gaines in Lynyrd Skynyrd, but on this issue, he can kiss my fourth point of contact.

#5 JohnDeereFan, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  6. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am ok with Steve making a local decision like that. I personally could careless if the statue is there or not. But if the local church feels it should be removed, that is their call. I am not part of that community.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I revise my comment. The statue should absolutely come down. The guy was a slave trader and he let his soldiers kill hundreds of black prisoners. KKK member and possible a Grand Wizard of the KKK. There is no good reason to leave his statue in comparison with the negative impact he had on society.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, he was a pretty bad guy if all you know are the talking points. But,of course, it doesn't fit your narrative to point out that he's also the guy who called for the abolition of the Klan when he saw it turning into the white supremacist organization the Democrats turned it into.

• Like Like x 1
  9. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KKK was founded in Tennessee with the purpose of reversing Federal rights for the black community. That was the purpose from day 1. Dude was a slave trader. Can't hide that either.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The year you are acting Prez, you forfeit the effective ability to speak only for yourself and your church.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it was founded in Tennessee. At least you got that much right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historically laughable.

The slave trader part illuminates why removing CSA monuments is so dangerous. Most founders owned Slaves. The Constitution was a racist document because racist men wrote it. Racist men ratified it. The compromise to ratify it deemed slaves to be only 3/5th a man. All this uproar about statues is a directed slippery slope attack by the left on The Constitution. All you politically correct do gooders are falling hook, line, and sinker for it.

#12 Reynolds, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two great podcasts out of SEBTS:

Southeastern Seminary - Diversity Podcast - Various topics assessed through the lens of race, class, and gender

E063 – Confederate Monuments and Racial Superiority (Part 1)
    September 18th, 2017

Dr. Brent Aucoin, Dr. Walter Strickland and Maliek Blade

E064 – Confederate Monuments and Racial Superiority (Part 2)
    September 18th, 2017
    Diversity staffers

kingdomdiversity.sebts.edu

14. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsense. He is still the pastor of the church and can function as such. The SBC structure would not require, nor expect him to forfeit his calling as overseer of a local church in the community.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facts is facts. Everyone reporting the story is saying Southern Baptist President. The headlines are proof that he can't practically make that separation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should also be noted that the Stars and Stripes flew over slavery for roughly eighty years, while the Confederate flag flew for less than five. Likewise, it was the Stars and Stripes that flew over Jim Crow laws, segregation, lynching, and was, and is, the flag the Klu Klux Klan claims as it's official banner. And yet, they don't want it removed.

17. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone that I have seen says "Southern Baptist Convention President". If the media is trying to mislead by dropping off "convention" that is on them, not him. If people cannot understand "convention", that is on them, not him.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not yet
    They don't want it removed yet. It lies much further down the slippery slope.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. DMorgan56

DMorgan56 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCree79, you really need to fill in the lapses in your historical knowledge of the War of Northern Aggression including the 20 years leading up to the war, and the 30 years after.

Reynolds you are correct sir, this is just another flanking move by the progressive left in their war on this society. We have only seen the first salvos of this battle. And make no mistake, The Church is in the cross-hairs also, just as has been foretold.

Disclaimer: I am slightly biased on this subject, 16 of my direct ancestors fought for the Confederacy from the great state of South Carolina. We have been here since 1708.

20. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has nothing to do with the war. It has to do with the man. If it was Lee or Davis a better argument could be made for keeping the statue. But a man that encouraged, allowed or was unable to keep his soldiers from killing unarmed prisoners(prisoners killed only because they were black) is not worthy of a statue.