1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Cooperative Program

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by shannonL, Oct 13, 2005.

1. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I grew up in the SBC don't think those who are apart of it are heathern or anything. Yet, as I got older and pastored my first SB church while going to Southeastern I just could not feel comfortable with where all the money goes in the CP. Granted it goes to some good places. Yet, the money also goes to alot of colleges in state conventions that not only deny the Bible but at some schools the Bible is even taught against. I would name schools but all SBCers know that this is true.
    I can get along with alot of folk on different issues etc... Yet, in the association I was involved in in Northeast NC we had woman preacher and some other crazy stuff. Things like that are just overlooked for the sake of the bigger picture I suppose.
    Furthermore, there are people who work on things like the executive committee that make 6 figure salaries. "FOR WHAT"? At the same time I have friends that are church planting for NAMB who almost have to have food stamps and work second jobs while they are trying to do a church plant.
    IMHO it is the all about the money when it comes to really seeing the SBC weed out the libs. in the conv. I don't know it just some thoughts I have.

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

shannonL,

When the SBC was incorporated it's stated purpose was to "elicit, combine, and direct the energies" of the whole Baptist denomination. Now do you really think that had anything to do with anything other than a small group of men figuring out they could make a whole lot of money?

Mark Osgatharp

3. shannonL

shannonL New Member

You got a point there Mark.

I've had discussion after discussion with my SB friends about some of the same things I mentioned above. You hardly never get anybody to disagree with the observations you point out but its just like "well you just gotta give and take on a few things" answers like that.
    My mom and dad go to 5000 member SB church. This church faithfully preaches the Gospel. They are conservative. Yet, they have more than a few Sunday School teachers that are closet moderates (libs). My dad knows first hand because he has had to change classes a time or two. When I say mod. I mean things like some believe in women preachers, the Bible is free for you to interpret how you want etc... Things like that are tolerated from a grand scale all the way down to a small scale. I keep telling my dad he is a independent baptist he just don't know it. HEE HEE.
    It is this mingling or tolerating have baked moderates or libs that just drives me nuts when it comes to how the SBC claims to do so much good which they do yet man there is a ton of waste when it comes to CP giving.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was at the SWBTS extension campus in Houston HBU would regularly publish each week the weekly horoscope. Go to any campus and notice the big money givers pictured. Read the state papers and notice the idolatry when they write how much each church gives and who gave the most.

Then notice how they swept the Baptist Foundation of Arizona scandal under the rug. It is recognized as the biggest religious scandal ever (http://www.rickross.com/groups/bfa.html).

Notice how Paige Patterson got a new library added onto the presidents home. Notice how the big shots who got those six figure income just got a pay raise while New Orleans was still under water. You know better get it before someone else needs it.

You do know many of those big shots are related. Someone called that nepotism.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

*sigh* the horoscope. I went to HBU for part of my undergrad work. We had the local weatherman for chapel and I don't remember a great discussion of issues relating to Christianity.

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

And all the Independent Baptists I know are all exemplary Christians in every word and deed. :rolleyes:

7. hamricba

hamricba New Member

It's worth noting there wasn't much support for cooperative missions (especially "home" missions) a century ago. Most churches, I think, saw church planting as their own responsibility, as well as the training of pastors.