1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Executive Committee postpones vote on Broadway

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (ABP) -- The Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee has asked a Texas church to clarify its views on homosexuality before determining whether its toleration of gay members violates a constitutional ban on churches that "act to affirm, approve or endorse homosexual behavior."

A motion referred to the committee by the SBC last June seeks to declare Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth "not to be in friendly cooperation" with the denomination.

While the original motion did not state the cause of the action, SBC leaders interpreted it to be in response to news stories about a controversy within the congregation over whether to allow same-sex couples to be photographed together in a church directory. Rather than vote up or down, the church opted for a compromise that used candid photos of members instead of separate family portraits to illustrate the membership.

The full Executive Committee voted unanimously and without discussion Feb. 17 for a recommendation "that the study of whether Broadway Baptist Church of Fort Worth, Texas, should continue to be considered to be in friendly cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention, and further inquiries and continued communications with the church be made, with the goal of arriving at an appropriate report to the convention at its June 2009 annual meeting in Louisville, Kentucky."

More Here

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I was a messenger to the 2008 SBC in Indianapolis, where the issue was brought up and deferred until the 2009 meeting.

Unless, I "completely misread the tea-leaves," as to the overall mood of the messengers there, I expect that if the thinking is anyway similar in Louisville, Broadway Baptist Church of Ft. Worth will undoubtedly have fellowship withdrawn by the SBC, if and when this comes to a vote.

Ed

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Fellowship should be withdrawn. I am also of the opinion that Churches that are not in good standing with their local Associations should not be seated at the Convention.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to agree with you, but what about churches that are not part of a local association?