1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Executive Committee proposes ouster of church over homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist Believer, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In an earlier post I erred in saying that Broadway church had not denied that it welcomes and affirms gays. Actually it has.

From a Baptist Press release on Monday:
    Wilson is Dr. Stephen Wilson, a member of the Executive Committee, which has been dealing with this issue since last year.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

All the above states very subtly is that the church has not openly made any declartion for/in favor of homosexual behavior. And yet we also know that not saying anything speaks volumes and in this case it appears they are not openly making any declation against homosexual 'behavior' either.

As believers we should always be ready to reach out to the lost no matter the homosexual, witch, drug addict or prostitute. However reaching out and welcoming them 'amoungst' us is not the same as them becoming 'one of us' and if their sin is found out and they repent not - let them be removed from us that they might be saved through the chastening of the Lord. And if they leave, let them leave us since they are not of us to begin with. It is not 'we' but scripture that denies them access into the body of Christ and thus the church.

#22 Allan, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, but that's not the issue here. The issue is whether or not they should be trying to force this church into their mold. And Broadway has resisted and will almost certainly continue to resist.

Sure, many of us have paid a person price and a corporate price for not going along with the so-called "Conservative Resurgence" of the last 30 years.

A person or a church can certainly do what is right as well as point out that unjust things are happening. That's part of the resistance that you've just encouraged.

Not me. I fought the politics in the SBC until the mid-1990s and then checked out of Southern Baptist life. Technically, our church [I do not attend Broadway] is still Southern Baptist because some of our church members contribute to the SBC as one of our three disbursement options for giving, but we don't use the SBC literature or participate in much beyond the Lottie Moon offering for Foreign Missions.

It's about weak leadership in other places, not in churches that are being attacked. Churches wouldn't be attacked if they were pawns of the denomination.

I certainly disagree with a number of the members in the congregation (many of them now former members) who agitated for affirmation of homosexual unions (and lost the vote), but this whole thing really isn't about homosexuality. It's about denominational power over churches.

I agree.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "significant number" was a majority of the membership, and that vote led to quite a few members departing the congregation.

I'm not sure how you can say they haven't taken a stand.

Actually, he's a minister of music.

I was merely pointing out that the SBC likes to hide behind autonomy when they would have to take action against a friendly church (the church with the sexual predator is a member of the "conservative" state convention that is tied lock-step with the SBC leadership) while Broadway Baptist has historically been a church that resisted the so-called "Conservative Resurgence" from the very beginning.

Apparently in the Southern Baptist Convention today, politically like-minded churches are autonomous and churches who differ in denominational politics are accountable to the denomination.

That's hypocritical. The SBC either needs to say they hold churches accountable and then do it or else respect the autonomy of the local church uniformly.

And for what it's worth, I think sexual predators are much worse than persons caught in a sexually-active homosexual lifestyle.

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't. They provide financial support to the SBC.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

They are simply allowing sinners to be members. Does you church exclude sinners?

Churches should discipline and restore church members who are involved in inappropriate sexual activity (as it is discovered), but having inappropriate sexual feelings (whether homosexual or heterosexual) is a part of the human experience. All Christians have to deal with it and learn not to act on their feelings or temptations.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are correct Pastor Larry.

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since they didn't do it, it shows they do not affirm a homosexual lifestyle.

That should be the end of the issue. Of course it won't be since facts don't matter to the Executive Committee of the SBC. The real issue isn't homosexuality, but they know they can get the messengers at the convention all worked up over it.

Since they don't, you can rest easy.

CP monies has not and will not be used that way. And frankly, since the convention messengers usually rubber-stamp anything the Executive Committee recommends, CP monies will not pay the salaries of anyone who attends this particular church who does not affirm homosexual relations.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I don't think these members are those who have homosexual feelings and not acting on them. They are members who are actively involved in the homosexual lifestyle. It is a lifestyle that is open for everyone to see.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

On a biblical issue, with a call to a biblical position, yes. Though "force into a mold" is not terminology I would choose. They, as an association of churches, should be calling churches to a clear biblical position, and it sounds like Broadway is at the very least cloudy. The association has a vested interest in their members.

The bigger issue here is doctrinal. I would say you paid a price for a failing position. The problem with the resurgence is that it has not yet gone far enough back into clear biblical orthodoxy. Some people paid the price in vain because they paid it for a failing investment. It's no glory not have gone along with it. It is a shame that it took so long for it happen, and that there are still people who refuse to follow the Bible.

A church can only be a pawn of a denomination if the church lets itself be. The SBC can say whatever they want about my church. Won't bother me in the least. Why? Because I am not their pawn. This church has, for years, refused to be a part of that. We have had strong leadership who saw the problems.

But my point is that the denomination has no power over churches. A baptist church, by definition, is autonomous. The denomination or state convention can't do anything that the church doesn't allow. That's my point about weak leadership. The church is putting itself in this position, apparently because of unclear stands from weak leaders. Strong leaders are not just those who can attract numbers or have good ideas. It is those who can stand in the face of adversity whether from members within or conventions without.

Some denominations have true power over the churches because of their unbiblical heirarchy of polity, and the fact that the denomination, in many cases, actually owns the land and the buildings. That's power when you can say, "Do this or you can no longer meet in our building." But most Baptist churches aren't like that. These people are fighting over an name link to a denomination that they don't agree with anyway.

Years ago, I led our church out of a state association because I no longer wanted to be associated with them. I had never gone to the meetings except for one, and it served no purpose. Since the church had many years before voted to associate, we had to vote to disassociate, but that was the end of it.

Furthermore, why was there even a vote on homosexual unions? That, in and of itself, is weak leadership. You don't vote on the Bible and things the Bible condemns. A leader who allowed a vote to come to the floor on that should be removed from ministry. Someone who argued for that should have been disciplined from the church for moral impropriety to Scripture.

I think people who have never been a part of a healthy church don't understand what it means to be a healthy church. I read stories like this and wonder how in the world we ever got to this place.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can see it all the way from South Carolina?

So how do you determine what a "homosexual lifestyle" is? I'm guessing these members were not participating in inappropriate PDA or sexual activity in public. Do you use the same standards with members who are perceived to be heterosexual? Are unmarried men and women who publicly spend time together automatically assumed to be in an immoral sexual relationship? Certainly, some of them might be, but why do you assume that most are guilty instead of dealing with it as there is evidence?

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

defending homosexuality?

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

they are letting unrepentant who prefer to live a lifetstyle of purposeful disobedience and have no thought of repenting and changing to reflect God's word, who snub their noses at God, to be members? This isn't a church of Christ.
    Anyoen openly living a purposeful unrepentant lifestyle can not a church member, unless they want to repent, be saved, and attempt to live a godly life.
    nothing else is biblical.
    You can not displine and restore anyone who belvieves what they are doing is not wrong, and by giving them acceptance they are telling them there is nothing wrong with homosexuality.
    You may support homosexuality, but God does not.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Theres something terribly wrong when christian accept and approve what God calls sin.

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ah yes, the third rail strikes again!

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

If that's what you get from what I'm saying, you need to go back and read more carefully.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are they?

You seem to be an expert on their situation:

Not only do you claim (1) to know what is going on inside the church, you also know that (2) those in the congregation who have homosexual impulses are purposefully acting on their impulses. Moreover, you somehow know that (3) they have no thought of repenting AND (4) they snub their noses at God.

Maybe, maybe not. But how do you know?

Well I don't and neither does God... but you don't seem to be comprehending what I've been saying.

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

I also think there is someone wrong when someone is a knee-jerk reactionary and makes assumptions and accusations about the options and positions of others instead of actually reading what is more or less clearly explained.

You may not agree with my understanding of the nature of homosexual attraction, but that doesn't give you the right to claim that I affirm homosexuality.

I've taken quite a bit of heat and have had many difficult conversations with homosexually-oriented friends and acquaintances over the years over these very issues, so it is especially galling to be accused of affirming homosexuality when I have so explicitly stated my position.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not surprised about this.

Heck, of course Broadway is ambivalent about homosexuality. They wouldn't have their "world-class pipe organ" if they weren't a bit soft on the subject. (donated by Van Cliburn, the gay pianist) I mean, if you took a strong stand...you might lose the $5,202,203,559,205,206.54 pipe organ, that merits a prominent part of your church's web page! (gee, and all this time, I thought church was about worship and serving... nope, it's about an organ).

When in seminary, I was involved with a church plant (those of us who came on board knew little about Broadway...they were not at all involved; they just gave start-up money).

Without going into too much detail, let's just say that a couple of years later, I learned enough about that church to know I wouldn't set foot in it. They were not supportive of our efforts to reach out to the community in which our church was planted. In fact, they were an obstacle to our efforts.

All that to say...I'm probably not the one to respond to this issue, because IMHO this church long ago compromised in many, many ways.

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have only a few quibbles with rbell's analysis. I'm not a fan of Broadway's leadership or the attitude I've encountered with Broadway.

However I could say the same about many churches, including some churches that are strong supporters of the SBC leadership.

Ultimately, the recommendation for the ouster of Broadway is essentially about convention politics and some of the things rbell listed rather than homosexuality.

Homosexuality is simply the latest hot button used as a smokescreen to hide the real issues and get knee-jerk reactions from convention messengers so they will rubber-stamp the efforts of the Executive Committee to make an example of Broadway as a lesson to those who don't follow the tune of the SBC leadership.