1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC president has a female minister on staff.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by csl, Jul 24, 2007.

1. csl

csl New Member

Dr. Page has a lady whose title is "Minister to Adults" on the staff at First Bapt. Taylors, SC. where Dr. Page is senior pastor.
    Is this not in conflict with the BF& M. I think it is. I know each church is automomous etc... but don't you think t he leader of the SBC should adhere to the BF& M.

I will call the church to find out more but maybe some here on the BB can give some insight in some form or fashion.

Personally I don't believe the Bible allows for women to teach men in the local church.

Why would you have a woman on staff in a leadership role that would include teaching, leading men etc.. unless you thought it was okay for women to be ordained or preach? That doesn't sound consevative to me?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So?

No it's not.

He does, at least on this point.

The 2000 BF&M states, "While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture."

Not necessarily. The two women that I found listed on the team page served as minister to preschoolers and adults. Those roles don't necessarily involve teaching men.

You are drawing a conclusion from at least one false premise (the content of the BF&M) and what you guess the roles of the women on "the team" might be.

There are a number of examples of women preaching in the New Testament as well as in modern Southern Baptist life.

Just because Dr. Page doesn't do things your way doesn't mean he is not conservative or biblical.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't agree with the 2000 BF&M regarding the roles of women in the church, I am no longer a Southern Baptist (nor do I agree with the mainstream of popular Southern Baptist life anymore), nor do I worry about whether people are labeled "conservative" or "liberal." I care about their commitment to Christ and His teachings, the content of their character, and their willingness to work together with me to build the Kingdom of God and rescue and restore persons lost in sin.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Page also said the "Emerging Church" brings value to the convention. Folks can refer to himas they wish. Conservative is not something that fits him.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This isn't new info...it's been around for awhile.

Besides this I sure don't have a problem with the person nor the position.

Why is this place just becoming a place to throw rocks? That's what I want to know...

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Re-read the BFM. It takes a senior pastor view of church leadership (as opposed to the elders model) and clearly states that the individual who occupies this office be a man. It doesn't discuss staff members or deacons, nor does it suggest that women cannot proclaim the gospel (preach). It also doesn't prohibit women being in a teaching role in a local church where men are present.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Outstanding statement, and very well said. :applause:

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll post the section referred to, from the BF&M 2000.
    Check it out for yourself, csl. My fellow Kentuckian, Jonathan, got it right. And Baptist Believer made some good points, as well, including this one, the real heart of the matter.
    And I would add, this is not limited to Dr. Page or any other, either, for most of us. The church ain't BURGER KING®! It's not always HAVE IT YOUR WAY®.

Ed

#7 EdSutton, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not really sure why this is any of our business. Unless someone here attends, and is a member of, this church who they have in leadership is none of our business. Each Baptist Church is autonomous, the SBC is not a denomination.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I find quite interesting is that while the SBC thinks it preaches the Bible, students are coming to seminary with less and less knowledge of scripture.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Opinion, at best. Got any real empirical evidence? But possibly part of what you are alleging is because of more students attending "non-Christian" i.e. "state" colleges, as well, prior to seminary.

And aren't they supposed to be getting some of this Scriptural knowledge AT seminary?

Ed

#10 EdSutton, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  11. donnA

donnA Active Member

In a large church a minister to adults may never teach anything, they simply lead those who do, such as the minister of education, they order the materials and keep track of the numbers, they never teach anyone.
    if she isn't an ordained minister, then theres no problem.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baptist Believer
    I care about their commitment to Christ and His teachings, the content of their character, and their willingness to work together with me to build the Kingdom of God and rescue and restore persons lost in sin.

You can't have it both ways BB and MP. Anything goes in your convoluted ideas for the church. Yet, one of you has the audacity to say, " I care about their commitment to Christ and His teachings," and the other one says, in effect, amen. If you guys cared about His teachings you would follow them yourselves.

Simply Amazing.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Two thoughts:

Why is a fight being picked here? She's not the senior pastor (which is the scriptural issue). Why are we fighting here?

Cutter, IMO you're out of line to insinuate that these guys don't care about Christ's teachings. There's no need for personal attacks.

14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Remember the truth is meant to set you free, not to makest thou angry. :1_grouphug:

15. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Doesn't having a female in position over any man in a church setting going against creation and the natural order of things? Just wondering. God laid the foundation in Chapter 2 of Genesis, Man then Woman, Man leads, Woman follows. One is not better than the other, both have God ordained positions, one is to lead the other is to help/aid in his lead.

16. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

The reason women are in positions of authority (over men) within the church and home is due to compromise to fit the culture in which we live today. Instead of the church and Christians conforming to the foundations of God and Jesus Christ, we are conforming to what soceity has set forth, which Christians should never strive to be like. This goes for many other areas and aspects of life as well.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

more often then not it's because you can't get men to do anything. our sunday scholl class broke up becasue none of the men in it wanted to teach, and they couldn't find another mani the church to teach. I was actually the only person who would teach, if the bible didn't prohibit it that is. so sometimes women are doing jobs in church you don't like, becasue men will not do them.

18. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I agree with that, completely. Maybe that's when classes need to be combined into one, find one man and lump them altogether. I don't know the solution.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You might want to update your profile to reflect your change of belief or churches, then.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think this is worthy of another thread...imho, we are to come to seminary with at least some basic Bible knowledge and basic Christian theology in place already. (in other words, we shouldn't have to put you through a redemial survey course(s) on the OT and NT and Theology)

The greatest failure in our churches is failing equip and instruct our young people properly in the formative theological and philosophical matters while showing them how to live the Christian life. That goes for the SBC too...especially...

Maybe this is worthy of another thread. :)