1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC satellite campus explosion

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by El_Guero, Jul 17, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I partially messed up - confused mabts with mwbts, but I still kinda got the same question.

I've seen SBC seminaries have opened campuses in other campus' 'territory'.

1. Does anyone know 'why' there is a recent SBC satellite campus explosion?

10 years ago, I was told by representatives of 2 SBC campuses that satellite campuses were too expensive and would probably all be shut down within a decade to save cooperative progam money.

Did the cooperative program start giving more money to the seminaries? Where is the money coming from?

I think I like it, but, I am not really sure why we have changed so much.

2. Is there a reason that the historic geographic territories are being stepped across? I know that I was told (I believe at NOBTS) that NOBTS would not open more campuses, because they were not going to 'compete' in other campuses' territories.

#1 El_Guero, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't keep up with the cooperative program, so I can't say. However I believe at least part of the reason is the demand for easier access to degree programs/education. Schools, secular and Christian, are looking for ways to take education to their people instead of forcing people to up-root their lives to attend school. The result is more online programs, satellite campuses,evening degree programs, and less worrying about "geographic territories".

I would say that at least part of the reason you are seeing an explosion of satellite campuses is...

(a) They have discovered that they can offer such programs without sacrificing a quality education.

(b) They are witnessing the enrollment growth at schools that offer such programs, and the SBC schools certainly don't wish to be left behind.

(c) Like any business, and seminaries are businesses, they realize that the schools can make money through such programs.

3. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I think the expense of operating extension programs a decade or so ago has probably turned into the financial benefit of operating them. Also, I think they experienced a decline in the enrolment of the "traditional" seminary student, the college graduate who enrolls full time in pursuit of a graduate degree for vocational ministry or mission service. Now, they are looking at a lot of non-traditional students, pastors and church leaders already serving in the field who want to take courses, part-time studies, Bachelor's degrees and such. Cost may also be a factor, particularly when students are looking at their choices. I teach a college Sunday School class, and I'd guess that the majority of my students would prefer to attend a seminary here in Nashville, even if it belonged to another denomination, rather than relocate to Louisville or New Orleans or Raleigh. I know some who have done that. Most of my class is made up of Nashville residents who chose to stay here and go to college rather than move out of town, so I guess a local seminary would have the same appeal.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC Satelittes

Jack,

Does SBTS still not have a "satellite campus" in Nashville? They use to have and it would make the Masters from Southern very attractive to your people.

I think the days of uprooting the family to go across country and do seminary training like I had to do are over. The methods of delivery like Blackboard and Web CT (which by the way have merged), video conferencing, real time email like IM, etc. are making the whole industry sit up and take notice.

I have done all types of course work as student as well as prof.; satellite campus, on campus, commuting, one 3 hr. seminar per week, teaching via Blackboard, developing courses to teach via distance learning, and much more. The truth of the matter is that educational institutions will have to step up to the plate more quickly than they have heretofore. Technology is running off from many of the seminaries and the secular institutions are outrunning Christian ed in the competition for the students.

And we might as well realize what was cited above: Bible colleges and seminaries ARE A BUSINESS whether or not we want to admit it, more business that ministry as it seems sometimes.

Justmytwocentsworth!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

5. RandR

RandR New Member

Typically, extension campuses are revenue producers. I would imagine that is also the case with seminary extension campuses. There are colleges who use the revenue generated by off-site centers to offset the rising costs of healthcare and technology on their main campuses. I don't know if the CP funding formula is based on total headcount or FTEs. If it is based on total head count, then I would look for the continued expansion of our seminaries' off-site programs.

I don't know about the whole "territory" thing. I figure its not that big of a deal unless a seminary opens a center in another seminary's home state. For example, SWBTS at Lake Charles, NOBTS at Greensboro, SBTS in St. Louis, etc. would probably be bad ideas. But I don't really see a problem with them "competing" for students in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc.