1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC to ban speaking in tongues?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchBoy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

The OP was started by someone who was not a Baptist and thus could not post this topic in a Baptist forum, but because of its Charismatic link is still of interest to other denominations as well.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]I started this thread here because:

1) I am not officially a Baptist (thought I presently attend a Baptist church)

2) I wanted to get non-Baptist views as well.

2. atestring

atestring New Member

Not to be rude or insulting but you have asked this question before and I can hardly think of a more ridiculous question to ask. It is an illogical question. For example:

Give me a Greek word that is in the Biblical text that is translated as "purgatory."
    Give me a Greek work that is in the Biblical text that is translated as "baptismal regeneration."
    Give me a Greek word that is in the Biblical text that is translated as "transubstantiation."

Gibberish, Purgatory, Baptismal regeneration, transubstantiation, are not in the Greek Texts because they are not in the Word of God. They are all heretical doctrines. They are man-made doctrines that people have added to the Bible. They aren't in the Bible, so why would you ask someone to find a heresy that isn't in the Bible in the first place?
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]dkh,
    I think you have referred to something called a straw man argument in the past.
    I will call your argument a straw man argument.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is not a strawman argument.
    Gibberish is not in the Greek; neither is purgatory.
    Can't you see your own logical fallacy.
    The onus is on you, not me, to prove that gibberish is in the Bible. Why should I have to prove your argument for you. If gibberish is in the New Testament Greek then prove it. Be my guest. Bring forth your evidence. But you won't find it; just as you won't find purgatory. It is not there.
    DHK

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Charismatic movement is sweeping every denomination including Catholics, Anglicans and now the Baptists. There are Charismatic Baptists. However the SBC, being more of denomination in itself, must take an official stand one way or another on the issue. That has no bearing on whether or not tongues is a Baptist distinctive. It is not.
    It is similar in nature to other stands they have had to take on other issues. I believe one of the more controversial ones is: whether or not the KJV is inspried and infallible, or are other translations acceptable for use. That is an issue many churches have faced. It is not a Baptist distinctive, per se, but it does become part of many churches statement of faith. There comes a point where on some issues a person/ church/ denomination must choose and take their stand.
    DHK

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for that; sorry to be such a crushing bore but surely a policy decision such as this amounts in practice to some kind of a statement of faith, in which case the time is ripe for a revision of F&M 2000

The alternative is to let it be a soul liberty (a well-established Baptist distinctive) thing and 'live and let live', I guess.

6. atestring

atestring New Member

It is not a strawman argument.
    Gibberish is not in the Greek; neither is purgatory.
    Can't you see your own logical fallacy.
    The onus is on you, not me, to prove that gibberish is in the Bible. Why should I have to prove your argument for you. If gibberish is in the New Testament Greek then prove it. Be my guest. Bring forth your evidence. But you won't find it; just as you won't find purgatory. It is not there.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]Did I say purgatory is in the Bible?
    I am glad you finally admitted that the word gibberish is not in the Bible.
    Throwing the word "gibberish" around is part of a polly parrot lingo that is used to try to disprove something but the argument has no biblical basis.

7. atestring

atestring New Member

The SBC has reversed its decision to ask Wade Buleson to resign over ths issue.
    It is consider an non essential doctrine in the SBC.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

From the OP
    Doctrine divides. It is not non-essential. No part of God's Word is. It is all profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2Tim.3:16).
    This doctrine will indeed divide the SBC.

9. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I'm surprised the SBC is making a fight over this issue. In the BGC we are not exactly charismatics, in our church we do not practice tongues or healings, but our denomination to my knowledge wouldn't ban a congregation for doing it.

10. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

DHK,
    I am concerned that, that will be the case, too...

The SBC, and Baptists in general are a very important part of God's Evangelism Economy...

To have them side-lined by this issue would hurt *all* Christian Denominations...

Mike Sr.

11. atestring

atestring New Member

Kinda sounds like
    "The Priesthood Of The Believer"