1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC WON'T CONSIDER NAME CHANGE

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by rsr, Jun 18, 2004.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Baptist Press:

BAPTIST PRESS STORY

I hadn't thought the vote would be that close.

2. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Yeah, it was a lot closer than I thought it would be. I was shocked when I saw that many ballots in the air.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm surprised it was so close. I think some delegates will hear some backlash for even considering a change.

Diane

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah it's too bad....they had to perfect chance to take baptist out of their name and missed it. ;)

Shows that the SBC isn't so southern afterall! With that many votes it looks like it will come up yet again

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The big "Hoop-La" is over the idea that some areas of the world---mostly northern states---have this idea that the word "Southern" is offensive---and when people being "reached" hear the word "Southern"---that the word is a complete "turn off"---

to which I dissagree----its not the idea that lost people are offended at the word "Southern" Baptist---its rather the idea that lost people are offended by the message that Southern Baptist bring with them to an unreached area---the message of Jesus Christ----

makes me wonder--why so many so many North Americans are offended by the word---but yet----no other area of the world seems offended when Southern Baptist come in---set up a clinic--examine a few eyes, ears, and throats---give them the gospel of Jesus and a hot meal----to any other area of the world Southern Baptists are the best thing "since sliced bread"---but to selfish Americans---the mention of the name is offensive???

God help us!

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Northern" Baptist Convention long ago changed to the "American" Baptists, thereby removing regionalism from the equation.

Is the SBC that far behind the times?

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as a matter of fact they are. They tried to address this problem back in the 70's. I have a friend that pastored in Minnesota at a SBC church and they last thing they did was advertise that they were SOUTHERN baptist. It was a huge turn off. I guess you could argue that the word Southern shouldn't be a turn off, but I think it would be better to deal with reality. The reality in America Southern is offensive. Most overseas folks don't know what the SBC is southern of. We are told to remove the barriers to the gospel without compromising the message and being Southern isn't part of the message, regardless of what some think! Also, isn't it a bit odd that the SBC has changed every other name expect the name of the convention?

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

BTW, if you read the entire article, it mentions Pastor Ken Whitten, who was my pastor in Tampa, FL @ Idlewild Baptist Church. He is by far one of my favorite preachers, and I really miss hearing his sermons. Now that I live in Richmond, VA, the commute is just a little too far!

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

go2church says, "The reality in America Southern is offensive."

I don't mean to be silly or nothing---but---here's a hypothethical question---

Say your Central Air Cooling/Heating system goes on the blink---its in the middle of the hot, hot Texas Summer---125 and 1/2 degrees hot in the shade!!!

Your kids and wife are hollerin' for you to call the repair service

You look in the Yellow pages

You're given an option

Southern Heating and Cooling----owned and operated by the "Einstein" of all heating and cooling techs in the whole world

or

Bubba's Heating and Cooling---owned and operated by Bubba

You call Bubba-----knowing full well that Southern can beat his service and price "Hands down by a mile"----Bubba comes over---he looks at your unit---he "tinkers" with it for a minute and then hands you a "Funeral Home Fan!"---tells you "Good Luck" and heads on out to the fishing hole with your good money!

you reject Southern simply because the word "Southern" is offensive???

Is that what I hear you saying??

See??

Its not that the word "Southern" in Southern Baptist is offensive---rather---its the message that Southern Baptist have that they are carrying to the four corners of the globe---the saving message of the Lord Jesus Christ---THATS whats so offensive!

Change the name to whatever and whoever you want to change it to---when you do--two things will happen

(1) Folks will figure out that the new name is really the old----"AHHH HAAAA! So, you USED to be Southern Baptist----and you still are except cloaked under a new name!"

(2) They still won't want the old, old gospel no matter how new the name!

I mean, can you imagine a lost person standing before Almighty God at the Great White Throne Judgement?? "Lord! I turned down the message of Jesus---because---because---because---well, Lord---because the word "Southern" offended me!!"

Lame excuse, huh??

But here's one Southern Baptist who's not ashamed to be a Southern Baptist even if I pastored the coldest Southern Baptist church on the coldest part of the North Pole!

Your buddy,
    Brother David

[ June 20, 2004, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, really? I didn't know the bigotry of Yankees was THAT bad.

11. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

It is ridiculous to say that the term Southern in SBC is a turn-off to the gospel.

If you believe that is true you have a warped view of salvation and evangelism.

I have never mentioned that I was SBC when sharing the gospel, and if you do have a huge problem with the name...don't advertise yourself as SBC or don't associate with the SBC at all. It really is not that big of an issue. Individual churches are autonomous, and they don't have to use the term "baptist" or "southern" or "southern baptist" or even "church".

Moreover, it would cost millions upon millions of dollars to change the name, and then everyone will just refer to the new name as 'the group formerly called the SBC'. The "secret" that we used to be the SBC would not be a secret for long.

When people hear the term SBC, they know (for the most part) what that church stands for. If people are turned off, they are turned of by either the stances of the SBC (which are usually good) or by the gospel itself.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I agree that the word Southern being offensive to many is silly, the Civil War is over, although many still seem to be trying to fight it. I am just saying that in many parts of the North, Southern when tied to Baptist and not cooling and heating, is a barrier. Having lived in Alabama, Colorado and Alaska (among other's) I think I can speak to this topic with some intelligence and that is the reality of the situation.
    Will it be expensive, I guess, but it's not getting any cheaper!

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern is a problem. Sorry you don't think so, blackbird. It is linked with the stereotype of the "bubba" in your illustration.

Southern is looked upon fine in Atlanta or Dallas, but just about anywhere they are looked upon as yokels, hillbillies, good old boys, rednecks, Billy Sunday wannabes.

Here in Casper we have lots of transplants from Oklahoma/Texas (oil field work). We have historic ifb - legacy of the Northern Baptists and since 1957 we have Southern Baptists.

Funny that folks coming from typical historic ifb churches like the ifb, and folks moving here form SBC like the SBC churches. Cultural.

People here that speak with a Southern accent are not looked upon as "cute" or "educated". Sorry.

14. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Do you really think the name "SBC" interferes with evangelism or that it would be of any benefit to anyone to change it?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where I live SBC means dead churches. They believe in "Us four and no more." The average age of the people attending the SBC church in the town where I live is about 70. While the area has more than doubled in the past few years.

How would you like it if some churches came to the south and called themselves the Western Baptist Convention.

16. RandR

RandR New Member

Ironically, in many parts of the country, when folks hear "ifb" they think yokels, good old boys, J. Frank Norriss wannabes.

I suppose prejudice really does know no bounds...even among brethren. Who knew?

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Churches grow by evangelism and discipleship not name changes. People will know what the church is like when they enter the building. Name changes may draw people but they will not keep them. Wheer I live the majority of SBC members have their origin in the south and have not sought to assimilate with the locals and reach them.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. What's in a name? Most SBC members are not in the South. Come to think of it, I'm SBC, and I'm in the West. I wouldn't lost any sleep if the name were changed. I wouldn't lose any sleep in if it remained the same. Honestly, I wouldn't mine a name change to reflect the fact that the SBC is not regionally specific. I'd be in favor of BCA (Baptist Church in America), but like I said, a raining of the status quo would be fine with me as well.

19. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

In my town we have 2 SBC churches one runs 300+ the other runs 80+ neither "advertise" as being SBC I mean they are but they don't put it on there sign in the front. Its also the largest Baptist church in town (300+). But I will tell you when people think of the IFB churches they think of KJVO no CCM women cant wear pants and lots of other things that seem offensive. Soooo.

20. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I mean that are offensive.