1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC's Golden Gate Seminary Began 75 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Golden Gate Southern Baptist Theological Seminary was organized in 1944 by Bay Area pastors Isam Hodges and Dallas Faulkner:

Seminary begins 75th anniversary celebration

Early photos: Sunie Madge Davis, member of the first graduating class, receiving her doctorate.
    Commencement speaker was Arno Q. Weniger, pastor of San Francisco's Hamilton Square Baptist Church.

madge - Copy.jpg arno - Copy.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, she recieved an MRE in the first graduating class, the ThD came later. I was about to ask whether she transferred in some credits.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Highbrow education coming to school site Southern Baptists abandoned?

San Francisco Chronicle • Monday, Dec. 16, 2019

"Oxford University, the prestigious institution that has educated British prime ministers and other world leaders for over 1,000 years, is in negotiations to open a center for advanced study on the property, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations"

"Several sources involved in the negotiations confirmed that the leading candidate to take over the campus is an affiliate of Oxford"

"proposal for the Strawberry Point project [is] expected to be filed with the Marin County Planning Department before the end of the year"

"From the late 1950s until 2015, the Baptist seminary trained divinity students and missionaries on the site, where it built a large academic building, a library, a dining hall, a 50-unit dorm and about 211 apartments. While the seminary had approvals to build 100 more housing units, a gym, a 1,200-seat chapel and an administration building, it never did. Enrollment declined in the 1990s, and by 2015 the school consolidated its West Coast operations in Orange County."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    During my college days, the summer of 1969, I attended a 3-day orientation for summer missionaries at Golden Gate Seminary.

One of the seminarians, a student with angel blond hair driving a sub compact car, picked up some of us at the San Fransisco airport. Far too many of us for his wee bit of a car.

But I still remember the drive from the airport across Golden Gate Bridge. The weather was foggy on the drive across the bridge. Our angel chauffeur made light of his honking, yelling, and gestures out the window at the traffic. And then we got off the bridge and on to Strawberry Drive and Golden Gate Seminary. The Golden Gate campus immediately caught our eye. Mine, particularly, since my 10-week assignment included working with small SBC churches in desert communities close to the Mexican border.

I do not remember much about the missionary sessions at Golden Gate Seminary. Except one guy stood up and tried to prepare our southern ways for what he called the "California" attitude.

They did feed us on the last night at a big restaurant in China Town. I ate octopus and squid--the octopus was kinda gooey, the squid like fried rubber bands.

And then we finished our last night in San Francisco with a late night trolley ride.