1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Scholar Explains Why So Many Reject Genesis

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. I have taken graduate courses in the sciences.
    It was a poor choice of naming though as they found out later.

Even today the scientific world still can't define it or "dark energy".

However, I still remain somewhat skeptical seeing the many times the theories of "origins" of life and matter (of any kind) have changed from time to time.

HankD

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Just a couple of points

1. That is one aspect of science that I appreciated, by its very nature, it is always (most) to learn, adjust and refine theories and postulates
    2. In essence "evolution" itself, does not postulate the "origin of life" rather the processes by which we see the diversity of life.

Often scientists of the naturalism "flavor" (atheist/agnostic) seek to create models and theories which require no god or supernatural force. But there are multitudes of theistic and christian scientists who go on about their science unbothered by such.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There are many who go beyond biologic evolution to include all that exists, postulating the eternity of energy/matter and/or the Laws of Science.

4. quantumfaith

I know and understand that, particularly naturalistic cosmologists

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply not true.

Makes it sound all benign, don't it. It isn't about models. It's about dictating public policy. It isn't about models, its about law, medicine and education. Let's talk eugenics, abortion, human cloning, embryonic stem cells, Fascism, Marxism, Communism, and whose models are presented as reality and whose metaphysics are called "science."

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We need to separate motive from action.

The motive, it seems, of the literal interpretation of Genesis people is the idea that unless they defend it, God's Word becomes a lie and to be disbelieved. At least, that is the motive they seem to ascribe to those not taking Genesis as being written literally.

Of course, many of us literally believe what Genesis literally says, which isn't at all what the YEC literalists tell us it says.

Do some evolutionists veer off into eugenics, abortion, etc? Absolutely and that is misusing it. But others make your annual flu vaccine. Should we abstain from taking it because it was based on genetic study (aka evolution?)

I get so tired of the antievolutionist telling me Darwin says we came from monkeys (he did not), that all evolutionists deny Genesis (not all do), or any of this other silly rhetoric.

A fourth grader today knows what the odds are of getting a wrinkled pea if you breed a wrinkled pea with a smooth pea. Now, taking that genetic study and continuing it down the line many generations is what evolution is.

So I am left with asking what is the motive of both groups?

For some of the evolutionists, I would say the motive is some is simply to find the truth. For others it is a doomed attempt to refute the Bible.

And for the anti crowd? Some are trying to preserve the Word (albeit IMHO doing a bad job of it). Some seem to be terribly afraid that if evolution proves true, then Jesus and the miracles are not real. And some just plain seem afraid of modern life, modern science, and modern reality.

So here is my stand: please stop saying that if I do not hold with YEC I "deny Genesis." I don't. Let me repeat: I DO NOT. I simply deny YOUR particular interpretation of it.

I am sick of watching the circle get continually smaller as the more rabid fundamentalists keep redefining the faith once delivered to the saints. I'm sick of watching young people who really are saved being convinced they are unbelievers because they just cannot accept the false science of the YEC crowd. I'm sick of us making buffoons out of ourselves fighting battles that do not need to be fought and wasting time, energy and manpower that should be used to win the lost to Christ.

There is no conflict between God's truth as recorded in the Word and God's truth as recorded in the world. None. Zip. God is not a liar. He has no need to make a young world appear old just to test our trust in Him. That would make Him guilty of deceiving us.

No, we need to understand God gave us a marvelous universe AND marvelous brains to understand it.

Sometimes we misunderstand His Word. Sometimes we misunderstand His world.

But He never, ever, in either record lies to us. So while our pea brains may not yet see it, they agree.

There IS NO argument between true science and true faith.

#86 nodak, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Odd that the OP griped about me not replying to his posts, and has summarily ignored mine. ;)

8. OldRegular

Study of the flu virus may indicate micro evolution but just where is it written that genetics has anything to do with macro evolution which is the topic of discussion here?

9. OldRegular

nodak

I responded to one of your misconceptions above. Before responding further I would like to know your concept of evolution. I see that you are tired and sick but do you believe man is the outcome of an evolutionary process from a lower species.

10. quantumfaith

OR,

Duh.....DNA is the source of information transmission for all life. It is what drives evolution. That evolution exists as a fact is undeniable. DNA is what makes the changes. Now the question is.....what is behind the genetic changes.....that is where ones faith or lack thereof comes into play.

11. quantumfaith

:applause::applause::applause:
    Kudos Nodak on a wonderfully articulate and intellectually honest post.

12. quantumfaith

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More accurately, some are trying to preserve the truth of the Word. I reject evolutionary theory because of the biblical record. I see nothing in the Genesis narrative that lends itself to evolution. On the contrary, I see creation -- immediate and supernatural -- based on the expressed will of God.

14. OldRegular

Duh ......That evolution exist as a fact is not undeniable. Micro evolution may occur but to use nodak's example a pea is still PEA. It is not a fact that evolution has or can change one species into another.

I fully understand that DNA is information. I also understand that the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to information transmission. You might want to check up on that

15. OldRegular

Nodak

Frankly regardless of the accolades of quantum faith much of the above post is simply a rant. I posted the following passage of Scripture either on this thread. Given the context in which it is written, one of the Ten Commandmants, it confirms a six, 24 hr. day creation.

Exodus 20:1-11
    8. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    10. But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

You did say one thing that is true, God does not lie! You can believe it or not.

16. quantumfaith

I suspect that it may be yourself who does not completely understand the concept of entropy.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/thermo/probability.html

17. OldRegular

I have no problem conceding that I do not fully understand the Second Law but do you understand what caused genetic defects?

I do understand that violation of the Second Law has never been demonstrated and that macro evolution is a pipe smokers dream.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to deny something undefined. Is it about the origin of species or not?

Despite all the double-speak from its proponents, evolution is about origins, until someone gets his feet held to the fire, then it isn't about origins. It's just about natural selection, the definition of which changes just as much.

No. Natural selection drives it, or so they say in the old tautology "survival of the fittest."

You see, this is where one must insist on definitions. Notice that the word "definite" employs the same root.

Everyone talks about bacteria, but bacteria do not evolve. It's like the old Peppered Moth example. Where sooty trees made the white ones more visible to predators, black ones became more numerous. See? they say, the moth "evolved." What wasn't told is that the Peppered Moth had black and white varieties in the beginning, and still do. So the Peppered Moth didn't change at all. The numbers of black and white ones changed. The demographics changed. So now, a mere change in demographics is evolution.

That's what's going on with bacteria populations. They don't make new DNA to become resistant to vaccines. The unresistant individuals (we'll call them white ones) are killed leaving only the resistant ones (we'll call them black) to reproduce. The bacteria don't change, the numbers of black and white ones change. The demographics changed. That's what happens with every population. No new genetic information is created. Ever.

It isn't evolution at all. We shouldn't even call it "micro" evolution, because that creates the notion in the head of the average Joe that new DNA is being created, even if he doesn't think of it in those terms. And indeed, that is exactly what the Naturalistic biologists (who rule the sciences these days) want Joe to think when he hears the word evolution. Don't be fooled by words of art and slight of hand in cleverly devised attempts to trick informed skeptics. Evolution is indeed about creation.

Again, to be accurate it must be expressed in the passive tense. DNA is what is changed. DNA doesn't change itself.

what is the nature of those changes. Is information gained or lost? In the case of Darwin's finches, a certain variation of beak was completely bread out of a population. Genetic information was lost. It is never gained. Ever. (Transduction notwithstanding.)

In every textbook, it's natural selection. In every textbook, that is what changed monkeys to men. (And, yes, nodak, if our ancestors are said to have been ape-like, then they were frickin' apes.)

Now, the driving force behind evolution might be your question, but don't pretend you will be regarded as a scientist for posing that question, because they don't pose that question. You only pose that question because Scripture can be wrested only so far before an overt and outright denial thereof is unavoidable. They already know what drives it. But what they will do is pat you on the head for being a good little boy to not challenge their presuppositions, nor to expose their disingenuous presentation of the evidence.

And this is the old ploy of the philosophical Naturalist (notice the capital N). By faith, he really means God. And by god, the Naturalist doesn't mean a deity, but something for which, for now, they have no explanation. And one only gets to say "god" according to their rules.

quantum is being a good boy.

#98 Aaron, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  19. OldRegular

Overall an excellent post Aaron. I believe the most significant statement you made is that regarding Darwin's finches and quoted above. Generalizing your statement I would say: "Genetic information is lost it is never gained." That is what the Second Law tells us about information! That is the reason I asked quantumfaith

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Aaron,

You did good.

Well written, and presented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.