1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

School dress codes

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

In my opinion, schools should absolutely have dress codes. But not just dress codes. Uniforms.

Uniforms bring all the students on to equal footing. The rich and the poor are the same. The popular and unpopular are the same. The jocks and the geeks are the same. It brings a spirit of continuity and helps spur a non judgmental atmosphere.

As for this girl, I wouldn't be proud of her. She has taken a cue from the liberal left and has decided to eschew the proper channels to enact a change. Instead, she decided to be the very definition of a hypocrite. "I am not a distraction" was written on her arm in permanent marker. So, she made as much of a distraction as she could in order to prove that she's not a distraction.

The guy at the end was an idiot. He said that he didn't know how the size of a strap on a tank top would matter. He obviously was never a hormone filled boy.

The whole news piece reeked of modern feminism's attempt at neutering males. "They should learn to control themselves". Yes. They should. But at age eleven, they haven't yet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your wrong. Uniforms are not required for a public school system but if it was a private school, then it’s a choice made by the parents to have the kids conform to said standards.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You're wrong." Public school education?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, the insult is so palatable! :Laugh

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not very manly though...more like a fishwife.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liked your first answer better. ZOOOMMMMM!

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally hate dress codes because of a personal issue. In high school, we had to have our shirts tucked in. I am 6' 7". It is hard to find shirts ling enough to stay tucked in. It was nearly impossible 30 years ago. "Common sense" would be much better than formal dress code.

11. Sapper Woody

How can I be wrong? I stated my opinion. I said that I think uniforms should be required. So how in the world could I be wrong if I simply stated my opinion?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone has an opinion....but yours happens to limit people’s style. Let’s say I prefer varied sports coats vs assigned blazer uniforms. So why should I be limited to a uniform? I mean, kids are not in the military, unless of course they are forced to be there. Then they should have some selection. However I agree with Salty that a dress code should be established so there is a guideline for decorum.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that common sense is not too common.

Sapper - do you remember this slogan:

Look sharp
    Feel Sharp
    BE Sharp

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sapper Woody

A uniform can be as stringent as the prep school uniform you seem to have in mind, or something as simple as blue jeans with no holes and a polo.

Something like that in no way limits anyone's style. But honestly, even if it did, who cares? That's the idea. Bring people together without social division.

Without a uniform, you can tell a person's social status instantly, leading to subconscious bias. Especially in the teenage years. High school is tough as it is, with all the cliques. A uniform takes away a reason to ostracize.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Conservative and a Libertarian. We have too many rules and laws already. We don't need more. We need less. Public school is the government. The government forcing kids to wear uniforms is what Nazis and Communists do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in the 7th grade (1971-72), our schools had a dress code that stated shirt tails must be tucked in, no lettering except for 'school-oriented' attire, dresses or skirts had to be less than 6 inches above the 'fold' in the knee, girls could not wear jeans, and nobody could wear shorts (other than in PE, athletics or cheerleading periods). Furthermore, boys' hair had to be above the ears, eyebrows, and shirt collar. We had an Assistant Principal-- the only one-- who really took a delight in enforcing all these rules-- especially the boys' hair, as I can attest-- not that I violated it, as my dad was probably even more stringent in that way, being an old sergeant from WWII, but knowing so many guys who were sent home for the day and told not to come back unless they get a haircut. Sometimes even then it wasn't 'enough' of a cut.

All that changed the next year. By then, apparently our School Board was tired of fighting all this since the mid-60's, and our hair could be over the ears, but not hanging over below the earlobes. And girls could then wear jeans, though still nobody could wear shorts. I guess my dad, too, finally tired of fighting the 'barber shop battles' and I had hair over my ears by the time that year ('72-'73) ended. That assistant principal went to be Principal at an elementary school in town, but I have wondered how he would have handled things if he had still been there-- would he have tried to continue his own preferred rules, or let the boys grow our hair over our ears? It might have been fun to point to our covered ears as he watched us walk down the hall.

I have wondered about this, I suppose, for all the years since. I certainly don't see the rules as being all that stringent now. And indeed it was not that many years ago that a local school district still had the 'no shorts' rule, and there was a protest by the boys, who borrowed their girlfriends' skirts to wear in a march against it-- charging "why can girls wear miniskirts, which show at least as much leg, while boys can't wear shorts?" Well, I suppose young people have a some kind of need to feel victimized by the older generation.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me the obvious question to this would be: if public school students want to come to class completely naked, should the schools have no such rule against it?

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and I was going to ask reynolds if he would have a problem if kids came to school in their bathing suits

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apply common sense.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which would be......? [A rule against it or not??]