1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

School of Biblical & Theological Studies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Does anybody know anything about the "School of Biblical& Theological Studies" out of Duderly La.:godisgood:

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Is that the right name for the town?

3. Plain Old Bill

That would be Dubberly,La. sorry bout that.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

If this is it, there's not much there excepting the inevitable drain awaiting one's money.

Bill

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Numbers of degrees

Bill, I agree. Did you notice that they offer more degrees than the number of faculty members? Where do they get the specialization and expertise for all these degrees? :D

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also:
    -----------------------

"Doctor of Theology (Th.D.): When a student completes 40 credits beyond the Master's level through SB&TS and completes a 25,000-word dissertation they will be eligible to receive the Doctor of Theology Degree.

Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.): When a student has completed 64 credits beyond the Master's level through SB&TS and completes a dissertation of 25,000 words a Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical; Counseling, Ministry, Religious Education, Sacred Literature, Sacred History, or Theology will be awarded."
    ----------------

The PhD and the ThD are academically equivalent degrees. They should not have such a dramatic difference in coursework.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

It's amazing how folks with non-credible doctorates feel qualified to establish their own non-credible schools. It's not that such places are unaccredited; they could not be accredited if they wanted. BTW, we all know there are credible non-accredited schools (Bob Jones was one, though it is now accredited), but there aren't many. There are scads of such empty-suit places as SB&TS, though. What a travesty.

Is there a site where such schools can be posted and folks properly trained in such matters can write a warning, kind of like what John Bear has done in his books?

Really, sham schools are an offense to the gospel. Unbelievers have a right to scoff at us when we put a degree after our name "earned" at (or through) such a place of "higher" education.

Bill

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

The sin is pride

IMHO, the appeal is pretty obvious in most cases. People want the degree and prestige without the work and effort. It's a matter of pride. The test, I think, is whether they would do the same amount of work and effort without the the degree. Now, that's when one is interested in learning. BTW, there are plenty of places where seminary level learning is available FREE on the Internet. Why don't these people utilize the free resources rather than paying for a bogus degree.

Yes, I think your idea is quite good. We do need someone in the Christian realm doing what John Bear did. Jason Baker (Regent University) and Rick Walston (Columbia Evangelical Seminary) have done some work in this area but I don't think they have covered all of the small, IFB church-related schools.

You know, I might do this--I'm in transition just now. I've been interested in DE since the 1970's and communicated with Bear, Levicoff, et. al. over the years. The picture is ever-changing and needs continual updating. I'm not sure that others (e.g. Bear, Walston, Baker, Thorton, Levicoff, et.al) are devoting a lots of time to this area anymore. The spotlight has moved more to the legitimate programs.

#8 paidagogos, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  9. Broadus

Broadus Member

You're right. This is an area which is pretty much untouched. Many probably don't want to get involved with it because they will be charged with assaulting "God's anointed" or not understanding the difference between biblical instruction and secular instruction or some other silliness. I'll be glad to help. I wish I had had some such guide back in the early '80s. Bear was as close as I could find, and he admitted, if I remember correctly, to lacking the expertise to critique religious schools.

Bill

10. Plain Old Bill

Great idea Paid!
    I just finished a course at BTI,that was my third from them and am working on one at connwell gordon and another at covenant. All at no charge,of course I get no paper to tell you I'm getting smarter but my wife sez you can tell by looking.haha:laugh:

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

post your picture Bill so we can see what smart looks like :saint:

(sorry, I just couldn't resist ;) )

12. Predestined

Predestined Member

POB, Are you taking the courses Gordon-Conwell offer for the Dimensions of the Faith program? I completed the program........excellent program.......at no cost. :thumbs:

13. Plain Old Bill

Since I'm a retired guy I will be taking all of thier FREE courses.:godisgood:

14. Plain Old Bill

By the way the gentleman who gets the credit for turning me onto all of this fine education is Paidagogos.:wavey: