1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

School Poll

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Oct 29, 2006.

?
  1. Liberty University

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Luther Rice University

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Southern Evangelical Seminary

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Andersonville Seminary

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Covington Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dallas Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (place name)

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only "current" students please. That means you are "currently" taking classes. Bible College, Seminary programs "only".

If you could also please say what you like "best" about your current program and what you like "least".

Thanks.

#1 Martin, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  2. eddie

eddie New Member

I am currently an online student at Beacon University. I will finish my Master's in Biblical Studies in May 2007 and then pursue a MDiv at Luther Rice.

My favorite professor at Beacon U. is Dr. John Durden. He is a Ph.D graduate of Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary and an excellent teacher.

I enjoy attending Beacon, however, Beacon does not offer Greek and Hebrew language courses online. Only the Greek and Hebrew tools classes are offered online. I've decided to pursue a MDiv at Luther Rice because all of their biblical languages courses are offered online. Even Liberty U. does not offer its biblical languages courses via distance learning.

Eddie

#2 eddie, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  3. Brice

Brice New Member

LU - I was a resident student and I am currently a DLP student.

Best - The On-Campus experience.

Worst - I felt the rules were a bit obstructive.

4. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Maranatha Baptist Bible College is the way to go. It is historic fundamentalist and committed to the original languages!

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in my last semester at Williams Baptist College in Walnut Ridge, AR.

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'm currently in the PH.D. program at Calvin Theological Seminary. The thing I like best is the financial aid available; they take care of you here. I also enjoy the quality of the professors and the fellowship among the students. The program is small enough that the professors are available to work with you, and the school doesn't nickel and dime you constantly. What I like the least is the quarter system where I am squeezed to do 16 weeks worth of work into 10 weeks. It's tough, but I'm up for the challenge. I suppose I won't complain too much because the quarter system helps shorten the overall length of the program.

I'm also an alumnus of TEDS. The thing I liked the best was the quality of the professors and the fellowship among the students. What I liked the least was the lack of sufficient financial aid and the cost of living in the north suburbs of Chicago as well as the hassle of living in that area (30+ minute drives to the cheaper grocery store).

#6 Brandon C. Jones, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2006
  7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best- Cost of living is low, and the professors are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Worst- The college is located in a nearly economically dead county.

8. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I'm currently a Master of Divinity student at the Baptist Missionary Assoc. (BMA) Theological Seminary in Jacksonville,TX. I will be finsihed with all of the requirements for this degree December 2007. What I like best about this seminary is its emphasis on Bible Preaching and Evangelism. We are taught to preach only the Bible and not to select certain scriptures to preach our own agendas. Also, every student that receives a degree will have to take two semesters of Evangelism Explosion. Great courses and challenging. I especailly like the commitment to learn the original languages and the relationships between student and professors are close. They really do care about your academic achievments and our personal spiritual development.
    :1_grouphug:

9. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

I am currently a distance student at Luther Rice, working on an M.A. in Biblical Counseling. It is a 45-hour program... once I'm finished, I'll probably keep working towards an M.Div., either at LRU or elsewhere.

Best - affordable tuition, focus of counseling program (biblical, 'exchanged life' approach vs. psychology with a little Bible mixed in), profs/staff are accessible and easy to work with, ability to work/study whenever I please (albeit with weekly requirements).

Worst - Not so much the school itself, but I question at times the academic qualifications of my classmates. In most classes, we are required to answer questions via a discussion board on a regular basis. Having observed the writing/linguistic skills (or lack thereof) of some of my classmates, I am amazed that they ever made it out of high school, much less college (this IS a graduate level program).

10. PeterM

PeterM Member

In my last 7 weeks @ Mid America.

Best - I truly appreciate the blending of the practical elements of ministry with the theoretical.

Worst - I still, after 3 1/2 years, still have a problem with the mandated witnessing policy to earn academic credit and the unncessary dress code.

Overall, I am a better Christian and minister becasue of my time at MABTS as learning how to seperate wheat from chaff is an invaluable skill.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin

Are you currently taking classes?

And if so, what are ya' gonna answer?

Wayne

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The survey was for seminary and Bible college only. I am not currently taking classes at any seminary or Bible college. I graduated from Liberty about a year ago. At this time I am at a secular university.