1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

School 'snub' for boy named Hell

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 9, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LINKIE HERE

By Matt Cunningham
    July 10, 2007 12:00am

This boy, according to the news, had Hell as his surname. His parents were trying to enroll him into a Catholic school, and he was refused. The proposed compromise solution was: use his mother's name, instead of Hell which is his father's.

Strange world, wot ?

Said to have happened in Australia.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That name is rather bland IMO.
    I've seen scores of last names that are far worse ...
    ...but I couldn't list them here without being censored.

Rob

3. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah. I know what you're saying.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've know worse names, too.

However, that does not detract from the obvious.......having "Hell" for a last name can be tormenting. :saint:

Having seen children and adults tormented because of either their confusing or embarrassing or hideous first and or last names, I would have to say this.

Stone me for it, if you must.

If the Lord were to guide me to marry a man whose last name was "Hell"........my name would not be Mrs. Hell (I would keep my maiden name) nor would my child's name be Little Hell, Jr. We would give him/her another name such as my maiden name or a family name from his side of the family. Those issues would be settled before we got married or we would not get married.

I could not have my school children calling me "Mrs. Hell". You can be rest assured that they would be asking me if I my husband were you-know-who!! And they would ask my child if his father were you-know-who!!

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started humming "A Boy Named Sue" when I read this part, Scarlett O. :thumbs:

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Does this make his parents guilty of raising Hell?

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's a good thing that Miroslav Satan didn't try to go to a Catholic school...

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I remember that song! :laugh:

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

0f course, if he's an only child, he can always say "I turned out to be the only Hell my mama ever raised".

11. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

There is a young organist named Felix Hell who is doing Bach concerts around the world and generating vast appreciation for his musicality. I have not seen in print any references to his peculiar last name. That he is German might make a difference ... perhaps it is not uncommon there.

But I am reminded of a church staff member I once knew whose last name was Raper. He had it legally changed to Rapier. The legal process is open to those who find what has been conferred on them intolerable or embarassing. I've thought of it myself, for very different reasons (just look at my name and think of the looks I get at hotel registers).

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago, there was a man who was connected with our local Little Theatre who last name was Rape.

His sister was a member of my church, but of course, she changed her name when she married.

Obviously no one ever connected his character with his name, but I can remember people really making fun of him behind his back. I guess he decided that he could bear it.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, on the subject of names, there's the urban legend making the rounds again about "Orangello" and "Lemonjello". (Orange jello and lemon jello named by an ignorant aunt/mother/father/uncle.) Ironically, although an urban legend, there was a baseball player (for the Astros, if I remember correctly) whose last name was "Lemongelo" or something similar.

14. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

There's always the Red Sox's Coco Crisp and his brother, Count Chocula.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Hmmm... I just had to look up how to spell Lemongello's name (his first name is Mark, BTW), and a story came up that he and another former MLB player had been charged with kidnapping and armed robbery of his two cousins, one of whom was a professional bowler.

Maybe the jokes got to him.