1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Schools and Universities: What is their real mission?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply put, are schools and universities here to "educate" or "indoctrinate?" And which of the two (educate or indoctrinate) do you believe is the core mission and agenda of American schools and places of higher academic goals, today? :flower:

2. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Are you referring to only state controlled schools/univ/colleges, or so-called Christian ones, or both?

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    State and private secular. Hopefully private Christian will educate and teach. :thumbs: :praying:

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize you're committing an over-generalization error?

5. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

All the above institutes will "educate and teach."

Exactly WHAT they will "educate and teach" is probably open for various interpretations.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really....I was kind of hoping that Christian schools would indoctrinate students in the Word of God.

The core mission of schools is to educate. Most university professors have a left-slant to their viewpoints which likely find its way into the curriculum. However, I believe most college aged kids have enough brains to spot the bias. Spotting the bias does not necessarily mean they won't fall for it, unfortunately.

7. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

I certainly hope/pray that the college-aged kids to whom you refer do, in fact, all have the mental/spiritual capacities "to spot the bias." :thumbsup:

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Man, why don't you just ever say what you REALLY are trying to say? :laugh:

You believe (like most political conservatives because you've heard Rush and Sean and Bill and the pundits of FOX News and politically conservative news outlets) that most institutes of higher learning are indoctrinating students towards leftist liberal teachings.

Schools educate and teach. You and others have your idea about what they should educate and teach. They have another idea.

Some lean left. Some lean right.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Some do whether it be political left or right. I would venture that most don't as they take a Something 101 and all of a sudden know everything and have got all the answers to what ails us. :laugh:

10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Government schools mission is indoctrination of left wing ideals. When I was going to school to become a teacher all of my education classes were about how to indoctrinated kids, and how to get around parents in the process. I was on the fence about homeschooling before I started in my education classes but now there is absolutely no way I would ever put my kids in a public school.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question here - how involved are parents in their kids eduction?

How many times have you spoken to your childs teacher this past year?

Are you invovled in the PTA? - Do you even attend the meetings?

Did you vote in the last School board elections?

Have you met members of the school board?

What is the last school event you have attended.

Note: it has been years since my youngest was in school - and yes I was involved at the time.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's funny because the same thing can be said about conservative talk radio and other media outlets that serve as an indoctrinating ground.

I mean you're calling them government schools instead of public schools. I remember back when Neal Boortz started pushing the "government school" moniker. He got Sean Hannity to doing it and the next thing you know , political conservatives are referring to public schools as government schools. :laugh:

And if the Government schools mission is indoctrination of left wing ideals, can we assume that non-public schools mission is to indoctrinate in right wing ideals?

13. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe it or not I don't watch Fox, or listen to Rush or Hannity. I get my news from a verity of written source as I think writing is the best medium for information to be passed along. That means I read the NY times, the Washington Post, the Washington Times, the Huffington Post, Salon, MSN, Yahoo, Time, PJ Media, Townhall (on rare occasion) because I like to know what the other camp is thinking and I figure it keeps my critical mind sharp if I get most of my news from left wing sources. I don't need Fox et all to point out the problems with left wing thinking. But congrats on using the tired old left card of accusing free thinkers of only watching Fox et all.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

i know, I know. No political conservatives watch Fox or listen to Sean or Rush anymore. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter who you get it from if they've all started just repeating what the mothership is saying.

Freethinker?[​IMG] You called them government schools for pete's sake. Stubborn thinker is more like it if you can't admit these "Freethinking" thoughts aren't your own and didn't originate with you.

Up until Boortz went on his Libertarian rant and started calling them government schools, and then got in his words "the little baby Jesus, Sean Hannity" to start calling them that, everybody was calling them public schools.

There's indoctrination going on all over the place. :laugh:

15. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I picked it up in my education classes from my most liberal professor. I figure it was a Freudian slip but appropriate considering what he was teaching us.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I are involved.

Teachers (plural). I have twice and my wife has three times, all at parent-teacher conferences. Plus dozens of email communications checking on homework.

It's call the PSTA (Parent Student Teacher Assoc.) in my kids school, and my wife attends.

Yes. I also voted against a referendum to raise property taxes for the purpose of increasing funding for the school district. The referendum carried and the school budget increased 81%. (that is not a typo.)

Yep, but only one.

Graduation ceremony. My oldest graduated from high school on Monday. Before that it was a scholastic award ceremony, and before that it was high achievers dinner. All three events in the past two months. Then there are various athletic events.

17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay .... whatever! :smilewinkgrin: