1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Science/Faith And origins Of Life!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Dec 6, 2011.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Scientists (and others too) have to make assumptions when it comes to such questions. There is even an assumption in the OP - it assumes that man did "develop intelligence/self awareness". There is another one, or at least a possible one - that all scientists believe in evolution. They don't!

Some scientists believe that God created the universe, and their beliefs about the origin and development of life will be based on this.

Some (perhaps most?) scientists believe in the Theory of Evolution, and their views of the origin and development of life will be based on that.

Neither viewpoint can be proved "scientifically", in the way that scientists can prove that (for example) water consists of hydrogen and oxygen, or that like magnetic poles repel, unlike poles attract. So evolution is, and always will be, a theory.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Good!! Now, let's load up all of capital hill, and send them there for the duration!! :thumbs:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Life outside of God making it is baloney. In Genesis, God took the dust of the earth, and formed it into man(in His and His Son's image), and then breathed into this form, and Adam became a living soul. Much the same way now. The union of sperm-egg gives us an zygote. The zygote then forms into a blastocyst, and then embryo, fetus, and then newborn baby. All this is by the work of God.

Anything other than this is complete conjecture, and the "life on other planets" is not spoken of in the bible......so I stay away from that...

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are many disciplines, but when speaking technically of "science," per se, it is knowledge gained by observation and then classified accordingly. Without observation (aided or unaided by the technology of man) there cannot be science.

Of course one cannot prove the existence of God. That is the whole point. We accept Him by faith. The same is true of the evolutionist. He accepts the "big bang," and any other theories of the origin of the universe by faith. He has put them outside the realm of the observable and into the realm of the metaphysical. His beliefs become that of faith. Evolution, for the most part, must be accepted by faith. It cannot be observed.

We discover the laws of God, even as Newton discovered the law of gravity.
    Maybe someday He will allow you to discover the "Laws that govern the logical foundations of our mathematics." :)

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:) :)

"God invented the whole numbers, all else is the invention of man". :)

As per evolution, recall Darwin himself did not propose to suggest the "origin of life"

‘Probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some primordial form, into which life was first breathed.

It is primarily those that followed him who sought to emphasize life being the sole result of nothing more than natural processes.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not true. He first rejected Genesis, then set about to look for an alternative explanation for the diversity of life on earth.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting comment ... can you give me a link to this information?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read it in one of Michael Denton's books years ago.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    quantum, you've asserted that you do not believe that Adam was created on the 6th day through a special act of creation. You asserted that you believe Adam arrived naturalistically. In other words, he (or they) were born.

Would like to hear your theories concerning Adam's parents.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds more like an opinion to me than a fact. It may be true. It may not be true. I'd like to pin it down. I say this as evolutionary theory makes no speculation about the presence or absence of God.

I do remember being told that Lew Wallace began writing the classic book, "Ben Hur" to prove Christ was false, but surprise, surprise as he studied and wrote about Christ he came to repent and became a Christian. I have not found a definitive link to prove or disprove this.

#50 Crabtownboy, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true.

If you want to say that one cannot use what we call "the scientific method" to prove the existence of God, you may be correct, because that requires a control. You must have a enivronment where God is, and then one where God is not, and that is impossible.

Infallible proofs of God's eternal power and godhead are all around us. Allowing atheists to define science, establish its laws and to say when a thing is proven and when it is not is the first error.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is definitely untrue. It is the first premise of the theory.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes:

The Secular Humanist Gospel:

In the beginning there was the Singularity which had no coordinates and cannot be explained or defined.
    Then there was the Big Bang caused by nobody which nobody heard.
    Then there was the expanding universe going nowhere and everywhere at once.
    Then there was the Primordial Soup which no one made.
    Then, out of that soup cauldron crawled the asexual and bloodless Mr/Mrs Thallophyte who eventually became you and I having no particular purpose but to consume, reproduce, pollute and destroy.

HankD

#53 HankD, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respectfully disagree. Can you provide me with a credible link where this is stated?

Good science does not make judgements on whether there is a God or not. Science only tries to explain how something happens or happened. Good science does not make moral judgements.

Another way of putting it is:

The Bible explains why God did what he did.
    Science tries to explain how something occurred. In religious terms it would be "how God did it." But good science would not put it that way.

Bad science would include or exclude God.
    Bad religion attempts to say this is the only way God could have done such and such.

We should never try to limit God to our own understanding. He is bigger than we can understand.

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sagan was giving his personal opinion here, not a tenet of science. I disagreed with him in numerous interviews of him on TV. He had some good programs as long as he stay with facts. But when he began to philosophize he quickly left good science and entered into the world of bad science. To me his personal beliefs were in error.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"In the beginning God...." (Genesis 1:1)
    The Bible does not set out to prove the existence of God, rather it assumes it. A good place to start in witnessing to a person is the first verse of Genesis. If they can't get past the first four words, then they will have problems with the rest of the message. There has to be a belief in God before there is a belief in salvation. That belief is assumed. It is stated, and by faith we believe it.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I don't "feel" that way. That is the reality of Science and has been throughout its history.

You make it sound like scientists are all altruistic and just sitting back waiting for their pet theories (and government grants) to be overthrown. That is about as naive a position as one can hold and yet claim to be a part of the scientific community as you often do.

Science is cutthroat and often wrong, but try to tell that to the individual scientist, or worse, try to get a text book where young minds are intentionally indoctrinated changed!

I should fess up at this point. Science is useful. I am NOT against Science, per se. I am against scientism, this all pervading notion in our modern culture that stipulates that scientists are the only altruistic persons who only deal with truth as best can be discovered. That is a large load of horse hooey. Science is just as sinful as the rest of humanity, and though a great boost to humanity, also subject to the same tenets that drive the rest of sinful humanity.

I could start listing examples, but that would take all day.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Aaron, before you get yourself out on a limb that you cannot defend, you should realize that this IS true. We can no more prove God than the atheists can disprove Him. He is true when His Holy Spirit confirms with our spirit that He is true, and we can see His effects all around us, but "proof" is not possible, only belief in faith. I expect that God intends it that way on purpose.

To further discuss this issue we will have to gravitate to a discussion of the immanent and transcendent properties of God. While we can see "evidences" based on God's immanence, we can never even begin to penetrate His transcendence, for that is extra-cosmos in nature -- an area that we can never discover save for God's self-revelation.

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Please read a little more carefully, I said that "true science" should be as you say altruistic in nature. Yes, often times science is as I SAID driven by all sorts of agendas. I would love for you to expound on the "sinfulness" and the horse hooey of science.