1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Science fiction and horror movies

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, May 16, 2010.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I cannot find it because you did not say it, neither did I say you did. The sin reference in my post was in response to the first part of the thread. Also, I can see the point of seperating sci fi with horror movies. The horror movies have become so graphic and cruel, I do not watch them. Severed heads and limbs flying through the air is not my idea of entertainment. The more blood that squirts in these movies, the better profit. I find that also gives me several nights of tossing and turning so I avoid them. But as you said, whatever suits the individual.

2. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

The question I have about science movies is that they often portray aliens, magical creatures or other-worldly stuff. This kind of denies the existence of the true God, creation as the Bible explains it and opens up the opportunity for esoteric if not demonic experience. I know that doesn't really affect us as Christians but are we not then giving the impression to others who are more susceptible that it is OK if we support it by watching it?

3. Peggy

Peggy New Member

The Lord of the Rings is an example of the finest fantasy books ever written. Not coincidentally, they were written by a committed Christian. C.S. Lewis's sci-fi/fantasy novels are also well written and thought provoking and imho rank right behind LOTR.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    LOTR was written by a Catholic JRR Tolkein who was a friend of CS Lewis and one of the inklings.

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I agree. I am not much of a sci-fi fan, but my wife and I do enjoy horror films.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Rick Warren? :eek: :D

Call me nerd. Favorite series of all time...Star Trek: The Next Generation. Because it carried the "Trek" name, I don't think it was recognized for the amazing storylines it put out.

Um, Cutter, watching the news doesn't count.

:D

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think the portrayal of aliens denies God at all, whatever one may think of magical creatures. To His glory, God is perfectly capable of creating people on other planets, and we know that He did create other planets. The Bible does not confirm or deny the existence of aliens. Interestingly enough, Christian author C. S. Lewis in his classic science fiction trilogy portrayed a planet where the creatures did not sin and fall--though I have to admit that theologically he did a poor job of it.

8. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you kidding? ALL creation was subject to the fall and the scriptures are silent about the Flying spaghetti monsters too, but I can assure you they don't exist eather .

#28 Jedi Knight, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Actually, if you'll apply the right "Bible Code," you'll find lots of info about the flying spaghetti monsters.

Careful, though: The Living Bible mis-translates them as "galloping fettucine monsters." The NASB gets it right, but the word order is literal; thus, "Monsters Spaghetti Flying."

KJVO folk tend to appreciate the more "reverent" translation of "They that Flyeth Upon the Noodles; Yea, and they were sore afraid."

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ya know, I've heard this before but I don't believe it. If "all" creation was subject to the fall, where does that leave Heaven? God certainly created Heaven, but you won't find that any scripture that points to it suffering from the fall. Sooo, lets not read more into the scriptures than God intended.

As for the OP, I don't like horror. Blood and guts flying across my screen has no appeal to me. Everyone else in the house has a different opinion! :rolleyes:

IMO, the reason scifi and horror get grouped together so much is entirely the fault of the SciFi channel. They can't hardly make a decent scifi movie/show without the addition of blood and guts. Bleck.

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

menageriekeeper "Ya know, I've heard this before but I don't believe it. If "all" creation was subject to the fall, where does that leave Heaven?" Have you not read....

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea." Revelation 21:1 and "We know that the WHOLE creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time" Romans 8:22

#31 Jedi Knight, May 21, 2010
  12. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Thats funny!:applause: Wonder if Jedi Knights pop up somewhere too? LOL

#32 Jedi Knight, May 21, 2010
  13. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Is it wrong then to think that people who say that they have had encouters with aliens have actually opened themselves up to a demonic experience and when we as Christians endorse that we are contributing to peoples susceptibility to those things?

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I think that it is very clear in the Bible when people are possessed by demons. Often they actually seek such things, such as the young Japanese man I saw in another church who played role-playing games about demons and was possessed. I don't know of any passages in the Bible that might be conceived as people being possessed by demons, but being deceived, thinking they were communing with aliens.

The sole possible exception is that the Bible teaches that those who worship idols are actually worshipping demons, but I don't know how aliens would figure into that. Having said that, there may be cults where people worship aliens, and thus worship demons. Seems like I've heard of such a cult, but I can't remember where--Ron Hubbard's outfit? But normally those who read science fiction are fully aware that all the aliens are totally fictional.

15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all know the story of Jesus and how he died for us on the cross.

I find it hard to believe that our Heavenly Father would then allow us to be harassed by "aliens". Would our Lord not have the power to protect us from such? Of course he would.

UFO's & Aliens from outer space are nothing more than part of the Great Deception. They are real and we can all see them and radar does not return a blip if something isn't out there but to be from another planet..., no way.

Could there be life in there in space? Certainly. To say with an absolute there isn't life out there would be to limit the Lord. There is however too many things we simply don't know about. In the mean time we need to focus on the Word as one day real soon we'll all know, I assume, those things that are now unavailable to us.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I understand your post but I find particular termonolgy rather facinating. You said "The Great Deception" almost like there was a one time incident known as the "Great Deception" along the lines of the "Great Depression" or that there is a particular event inclusive of things like UFO's as part of an earlier act known as the "Great Deception". Its almost like the Matrix world view that we all live in an imposed dream state but really are being used by machines. Are we then given the task of taking the red pill or the blue pill? I'm curious.

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your post but I find particular termonolgy rather facinating. You said "The Great Deception" almost like there was a one time incident known as the "Great Deception" along the lines of the "Great Depression" or that there is a particular event inclusive of things like UFO's as part of an earlier act known as the "Great Deception". Its almost like the Matrix world view that we all live in an imposed dream state but really are being used by machines. Are we then given the task of taking the red pill or the blue pill? I'm curious.

Re 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

You don't agree that Satan is a Great Deceiver and has deceived the whole world? For sure those who are deceived by him will suffer a Great Depression. No red pills; No green pills; No Matrix; it's all written in the Word.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh I believe in Satan and I believe he is a great liar. And I believe he was cast out unto the earth and his angles. But your termenology the "Great Deception" was what caught my interest as if it where a well known event like the great depression. I believe Satan and his angels will be cast into the lake of fire at the end of it all so a bit more the depression. However, Nowhere in the word do I find the event known as the "Great Deception". Unless you refer to the tempting of Adam and Eve.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The solution is really simple for those who do not like science fiction. It is called the off button.

20. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...well, then I stand corrected. My reference to the Great Deception would then be equal to us Baptist making reference to the act of "Rededicating Our Lives To Christ". This concept is no where in the Bible that I've ever seen but, the call to "rededicate" ourselves happens quite often.