1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Scofield Bible. Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Gorship, May 30, 2013.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't like notes of any sort, I don't want someone to tell me what the Bible says, I want the Bible itself to tell me what it says.

That might account for many of my very different views. :laugh:

I personally depend on James 1:5-7 for Bible interpretation;

Jam 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Now, this verse isn't necessarily about scripture interpretation, but I believe it applies, when I read scripture I pray and ask God to show me HIS interpretation of scripture, not man's, and especially NOT MY OWN. I sincerely and truly want to know exactly what God is saying.

Years ago I had a Scofield, and the notes bothered me. I didn't like the Gap Theory, but many other notes I didn't like as well, many did not seem to line up with the text, although I can't think of any specific examples at the moment.

Anyway, I simply don't want people to lead me off track, I want the scriptures themselves to speak to me. That said, I will on occasion consult a commentary to see how theologians interpret some difficult passages.

I remember my pastor many years ago, a great man who truly knew the Bible well, he told me he didn't use commentaries any more. I asked him why, and he said the theologians had as much difficulty as he did with difficult passages. I have found this to be true, many times they will skip over truly difficult passages. Anybody can understand the easy stuff.

My Bibles I use now have no notes at all. I use the Blue Letter Bible online, great for doing word searches and references.

But even here, you have to be careful, they will only give you reference verses they feel apply. It is better to do word searches and look at all the scriptures that apply.

My 2 cents.