1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scofield Reference Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Paul1611, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott P.

Scott P. New Member

Scofield Reference

I am unsure if the Scofield Reference Bible is the one I have. I went home and checked... I have an Old Scofield Study Bible, 1917 edition. I really learn from the notes place at the bottom of each page. The items in the center column refer to parallel scripture and also give the definition of the original Hebrew or Greek word. It is definitely a good Bible to have.

If you have a choice and are looking for a good Study aid, though, Strong's and/or Wilson's would be more exhaustive and perhaps a Greek Lexicon. These, however, are not cheap.

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you have not provided enough valid evidence to say that your claim about Scofield is fact.

3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The old 1917 edition of Scofield is the same as the old Scofield Reference Bible. Evidently, they may have altered the name or added the additional name THE SCOFIELD REFERENCE BIBLE on the title page of some of the later editions after 1917. My edition is a later edition with copyright 1909, 1917 and with the note copyright renewed 1937, 1945. It may be possible that the name was altered from Scofield Study to Scofield Reference in 1937 or 1945.

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bought a Scofield bible from Barbour publishing a couple of years ago. It did not have which edition it was, so I had to research it myself. I found that it was the 1917, if I remember correctly.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I provided you the link in my previous post.

6. sdonahue

sdonahue New Member

I have the Scofield 3 in NIV, NKJV, NAS, and KJV. I like it. It has been greatly augmented, and it has a lot more information than any previous Scofield. I was not brought up on this study Bible, but I like it. I don't use the 'Old' Scofield. I like tremendously the 1967 'New" Scofield, (which, by the way, Oxford Press may reissue this year or next year briefly as a 40th anniversary reprint).

I have read the book, 'The Incredible Scofield and his Book.' I don't think the old gentleman was quite on the up-and-up, but the Bible that bears his name has helped untold thousands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.