1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

screen freezing

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by following-Him, Dec 21, 2003.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Can anyone please tell my why my screen keeps freezing? It apparently is due to Explorer (so Sam tells me). I click on control, alt and delete altogether and press end task and it is ok again, but it is happening every few minutes. It never used to.

Many thanks

Sheila

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

What Operating System are you using?

Are you talking about Windows Explorer (File Browser) or Internet Explorer (the Web Browser)?

If you are talking about Internet Explorer, which version are you using?

Have you installed any new programs or drivers lately?

Are your Anti-Virus Software Definitions up to date?

There could be a 'bad' registry entry. There is a utility called RegClean 4.1a available for download.

There are also some tools available from KarenWare.com

I use RegPruner (and RegClean) often enough because I load and unload different software a lot.

Karen's RegRipper is also useful if you know what you're doing and need to delete some unwanted Registry entries.

Without more information it would be hard to get detailed, though.

But, if it's Windows Explorer then I'd run RegClean (might take a couple passes) in a Windows 98 system.

For a newer system I think there is a Windows Repair option. The guys with more experience in WinXP can help there.

Next I's run SFC.exe (System File Checker). But, you have to have your Windows Disk handy. And, need to know a bit more 'techie' stuff because it will invariable find stuff it wants to revert back to.

You could end up with a lot of 'other' broken programs needing repair or re-installation.

For Internet Explorer the easiest thing to do is upgrade to the latest version. 6.0 has a really nice option to block or prompt for cookies allowing you to either allow or disallow certain cookies. And, these settings can be 'remembered'.

Too early in the morning [​IMG] Brain not fully awake. Let us know how it's going, OK.

Oh... When all else fails... Scandisk with the thorough option and then Defrag... You'd be surprised at just how many Windows 'Brain Freezes' that fixes. :D

3. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Yup, more info is required.

Dave.

4. following-Him

Hello, it is Windows Explorer which we have to keep resetting. We use Windows ME.
    Have defragged and that doesn't seem to have made any difference, also we have done a system restore and that doesn't seem to have worked either. Not sure what other information I can give you. Husband won't have Windows XP because it is not compatible with our digital camera.
    Thank you for your help so far,

Sheila

5. SpiritualMadMan

Have you considered 'upgrading' to Windows 98se? :D

Seriously, ME was a disaster...

Has your husband 'tried' the digital camera on someone elses WinXP machine?

It may surprise you. WinXP has a ton of built-in support.

Choice... Get 'Pro' NOT 'Home' edition.

Alternatly, if you have an old copy of Win98se I'd rather use that than WinME anyday. My preference.

There are other things that can cause lock-ups in the display system.

If it was doing it in other programs we might have a clue.

Did you install new or upgrade any other software, utilities or drivers in the last month.

6. following-Him

We had the pro edition of XP. The place where we bought our computer said it wasn't compatible. I only wish they had told us that when we bought it as we bought computer and camera at the same time.

I don't know if Rob would want the 98. I will ask him.
    Sam has connected a router, but it didn't have any software with it. He wants to run his computer with internet at the same time as ours. he has in stalled modem and printer drivers and software, which is additional to what is on ME restore disc. Hope this helps.

Thank you

Sheila

7. SpiritualMadMan

What kind of Digital Camera is it?

How is it connected to the computer?

Any single driver or software application can be the cause of 'freeze' problems.

If you've already done a restore and that didn't fix the problem you may be in over your head.

Sorry. But, what you're describing is really too involved to handle by remote control.

I strongly suspect that one of the hardware add-on drivers or a program you've added is the problem.

If your restore process wipes the hard disk then all traces of any added software or newer drivers should no longer exist to confuse the issue.

But, to fix it yourself you've got to be patient, go one step at a time starting with the condition the machine was in the day you bought it.

This means, to get rid of all the prompts for driver disks, removing any hardware that didn't come with the machine, too.

Once you *know* the machine works as good as it did out of the box... Then start, one at a time, added stuff and updates until it nreaks again.

But, take time between each change to be sure it really is working right.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I have the problem with my screen freezing up on my computer at work (not at home). It seems the freeze is always connected to pop-ups. Do you have a pop-up blocker installed on your PC? If not, you can visit StudyLight.org and install the free toolbar there. This toolbar not only gives you access to all the many StudyLight features, it also includes a pop-up blocker and a blocker for "adult" content.

9. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    followingHim:

I'll offer a "Mickey Mouse" solution (or at least something to check on) regarding freezing up. I realize what the others are saying is true, and we need more info, but don't underestimate the power of pop-ups or freeware programs installed with tons of other programs with it including spyware. For the most part, our computers work well on windows 98SE, but in the few years experience we had, we can always trace a lot of these lock-up or hesitation problems to rogue software associated with freeware and to a lesser degree crappy drivers or similar programs related to the driver/hardware we installed. Unless something corrupted your OS or browser files, I doubt if its those programs if they ran well before. Something "else" is causing the problem.
    How many programs do you have running if you do a CTRL ALT DEL and check the task monitor? If more than a small handful where you have to scroll down, then you have too much junk running in the background.
    By the way, how did that network card driver installation and the "winipcfg" help I gave go the other day? It seems you have a lot of computer problems on your hands here.

10. following-Him

Hello and thank you for all your advice.
    We have been away for a few days, so I hope to have a go and see what happens with the computer today. I will let you know what happens.
    Blessings

Sheila

11. following-Him

Hello, and many thanks to all who gave advice on this matter. Our son reinstalled ME and the computer has been fine since.

Blessings

Sheila [​IMG]