1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scriptural evidence of Jesus being of Davidic linage

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by reformedbeliever, Dec 29, 2004.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I've had an inmate ask me the question of Jesus' davidic linage, quoting Matt 1 and asking "If Joseph was not Jesus' natural father, what scriptural evidence do we have of Jesus' blood relationship with David"? I know of Luke 3, and many saying that geneology is Mary's. Any other evidence other than Jesus' legal right to heir of Joseph?

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Reformed:

As an adopted son, the lineage of Joseph would count. If you look at Matt 1:17 is specifically states that the genealogy preceding it is that of Christ, not Joseph. The Luke 3 genealogy diverges with two sons of David, Solomon and Nathan. That is why most believe that this is the genealogy of Mary's line.

Luke 1:27 says
    Depending on how you read this with the punctuation it could say that Joseph was of the house of David, or it could say that the virgin (Mary) was of the house of David. Luke 1:32 seems to indicate this as well.

Matthew, Mark and Luke all use the title 'son of David' to refer to Jesus. Matthew uses this title the most. Some of those verses are:
    Then you could look at II Tim 2:8 which says:
    And finally I would go to Jesus' own words in Revelation 22:16 which says:

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Thank you tentmaker. I understand the adoption of Jesus by Joseph. I know of the scripture you quoted. This again did not answer the question the inmate asked.