1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture and Tradition

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2007.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

Ummm...the mix of paganism and christianity now known as the Catholic Church of Rome and her off-shoots began around the 3rd/4th century, Matt. Goodness gracious, this is church history 101, Matt.

*Slightly* stunned,

Mike

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm so "as late a 1054 they did not ALL have the SAME tradition?"

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Ok time to "line up our historians" to see which ones we will place at a lower trusted level than MB's "I say so".:laugh:

I will start with one from the RCC ITSELF.

Recall "the obvious" that the RCC doesn't really have the "option" of claiming it did not exist at the time of Constantine.

The Catholic historian Thomas Bokenkotter's best selling pro-Catholic book "a concise history of the Catholic church" makes it abundantly clear..

Ibid -Pg 49 speaks of the change that occurred in the 4th century

"the clergy at first were not sharply differentiated from the laity..the clergy married, raised families, and earned their livelihood at some trade or profession. But as the practice grewof paying them..they withdrew more and more from secular pursuits, until by the fourth century such withdrawal was deemed obligatory"

"at first the Christian presbyter or elder (as they were really known)
    avoided any resemblance to the pagan or Jewish priests and, in fact even deliberately refused to be called a priest[/b]. He (the real Christian leader) saw his primary function as the ministry of the word. ..but the image of the Christian presbyter gradually took on a sacral character."

"[b]the more elaborate liturgy of the post-Constantinian era, with its features borrowed from paganism, enhanced the image of the minister[/b] as a sacred personage. The ministry of the word diminished in importance when infant baptism became the rule rather than the exception,
    for infants could not be preached to. "

"before Constantine the whole church was considered the realm of the sacred (priesthood of all) as opposed to the profane world.
    After Constantine and the breakdown of the separation between the church and the world, the polarity between the sacred and profane was transformed into one between the sacred clergy and the profane laity"

"legislation to this effect was first passed at the local synod of Elvira, Spain and taken up by the popes beginning with Siricius (d. 399), who enforced clerical celebacy (which was adopted mainly on the grounds that sex was incompatible with the sacred character of the clergy
    )"

So there we have it on two short pages (49-50) of that telling work done by a Catholic historian - revealing the ongoing evolutionary process in the church that brings us to where we are today.

Ibid - Page 42
    "the liturgy itself was considerably influenced by the Constantinian revolution. Millions of pagans suddenly entered the church and some of their customs inevitably crept into the liturgy;[/b] the use of the kiss as a sign of reverence for holy objects, the practice of genuflection, devotion to relics, use of candles, incense and other ceremonial features derived from the imperial court. Under this pagan influence Christians began to face the east while praying which made it necessary for the priest to lead prayers while his back was toward the congregation."

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Catholic historian Thomas Bokenkotter's best selling pro-Catholic book "a concise history of the Catholic church" makes it abundantly clear..

How much influence did Emperor Constantine have on the RCC “really”. How much of a role in moving it past the point of merely “Not persecuted” ?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Result? We have BOTH Protestant historians AND Catholic historians admitting to the same historic facts regarding the pivitol impact of Constantine on the RCC -- and then we see some "hold outs" who with eyes and ears closed seem to say "I won't believe it -- I won't believe it".

What is up with that???

in Christ,

Bob

6. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

In reference to me:
    Correct.

I do not know about baptism. I do not know when it became widespread in the west to replace baptism with sprinkling or pouring. It may have been after 1054. As I noted, the Greek Orthodox, following the meaning of the Greek word, have always immersed.

The traditions of Rome, versus the traditions of the rest of the church, differed by 1054. The reason for the split was because the Catholic bishop at Rome would no longer tolerate being disagreed with. He sent a `bull of excommunication' to the Orthodox. He initiated the split over prior disagreements over religious tenets.

Because it is commonly assumed in the church today that church unity means church agreement of opinion, it is commonly assumed that the dominant body of the church agreed on everything before 1054. This is incorrect: that dominant body stayed one dominant body despite disagreement long before 1054.

#166 Darron Steele, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, please then explain - and this applies to Mike, too - the historical process whereby Constantine 'started' this 'new' Church in the 4th century, together with contemporary evidence to support your claim. (It's all very well saying "the truth hurts" but you haven't actually produced any yet.)

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

NT Greek, yes. Did you even bother to read my post?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Did you read the posts by Bob?

10. standingfirminChrist

Some only read what they want to read and filter out that which proves them wrong.

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yes, and whilst they contain a degree of factual accuracy, they - not Bob, but the historian he quotes - are also laden with historical inaccuracies. For example, it is not the case that clerical celibacy was enforced from the 4th century. That was a practice unique to the Western Church, which only became a canonical discipline under Pope Gregory VII in the 11th century after the Great Schism between the Eastern and Western halves of the Church (and for that reason I would reject it); even today the Eastern Church allows its priests to marry.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And herein sola scriptura reigns.

Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.

The claim of so many Protestant sect's because every sect has there own interpretation holds no water. It is plain and simple--The RCC and others plainly reject the Word of God. It is very obvious that Peter had a wife. Jesus came into his own home, where his wife and mother were staying at the time, and he healed his wife's mother. Peter was married. Mandatory celibacy is absolutely wrong, and there is no Biblcal mandate for it. That tradition is unScriptural and there is no need to look to the ECF or tradition for any support.

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You just repeat to insist your ignorance about the Greek and Bible itself.

When anyone say that NT quoted LXX, the wording must be exactly the same. Bible is not a fiction or novel. If anyone quoted Septuagint, why didn't he repeat the same wording but state differently?

Read the followings, it start from different words, en te hemera vs meta tauta, then anastesow became anastrepso, then anastesow to anortheso, omiting mou, theos, ....... so many.

Is this what you mean by quotation? Is this your term of Quote?

Show me any simpler verse which you believe surely quoted LXX in NT.

LXX Αmos 9:11-12

Εν τη ημερα εκεινη αναστησω την σκνην Δαυιδ την πεπωκυιαν και ανοικοδομησς τα πεπτωκοτα αυτης και τα κατεσκαμμενα αυτης αναστησω και ανοικοδομησω αυτην καθως αι ημεραι του αωνος

Οπως εκζησωσιν οι καταλοιποι των ανθρωπων και παντα τα εθνη εφ’ ους επικεκληται το ονομα μου επ αυτους λεγει κυριος ο θεος ο ποιων ταυτα

Greek NT
    Acts 15:16-17

Μετα ταυτα αναστρεψω, και ανοικοδομησω την σκηνην Δαβιδ την πεπτωκυιαν, και τα κατεσκαμμενα αυτης ανοικοδομησω και ανορθωσω αυτην,

17 Οπως αν εκζητησωσιν οι καταλοιποι των ανθρωπων τον Κυριον, Και παντα τα εθνη εφ’ ους επικεκληται το ονομα μου επ ουτους, Λεγει Κυριος ο ποιων ταυτα παντα

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

I've heard you say that your denomination (Anglican) is actually just a different name for the Episcopal group over here in the USA.

If that is the case...

1) Are you comfortable with your leaderships view that practicing homosexuals are fully acceptable as Bishops?

2) If not...what is your basis for disagreement?

Thanks,

Mike

#174 D28guy, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Mike, you're correct that The Epicopal Church in the USA (TEC, formerly ECUSA) is part of the Anglican Communion (Church), just as is the Church of England over here. To answer your questions:-

1. I wouldn't be comfortable if that were the case but actually it's not correct that the leadership of the Anglican Communion is of the view that practising homosexuals are fully acceptable as bishops. In fact, if you look at the ruling of the last Lambeth Bishops' Conference (which is the nearest we get to a leadership meeting) of 1998 plus the pronouncements of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the opposite would tend to be the case: Lambeth 1998 made it quite clear that practising homosexuals were not to be consecrated as bishops and, by consecrating Gene Robinson as +NH, TEC are in defiance of this and are in danger (as they have been warned by ++Rowan Catuar (the Archbishop of Canterbury) of being excommunicated; the fact that they haven't yet been thrown out is less due to a lack of will as to the factthat, compared to eg: the SBC, Anglican wheels grind exceedingly slowly (Lambeth Conferences are only once every 10 years). My advice is to watch this space, particularly Lambeth 2008 this year.

2. For the record, I'm against the practise of homosexuality because it is not in accordance with Scripture as correctly interpreted; the attempts of various liberals eg: in TEC to 'explain away' the OT and NT verses which condemn same-sex sexual relationships are not in accordance with how Church Tradition has interpreted those Scriptures throughout the centuries.

Oh I agree. But you're pushing at an open door here: I'm not Catholic and have already stated I'm against clerical celibacy because it falls outside of both Scripture and Tradition.

#175 Matt Black, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt,

Returning to the original theme of this thread, have you ever thought about this Mt 28:19-20?

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]
    19 Go ye therefore, and teach F55 all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]FOOTNOTES:
    F54: was: or, had been
    <A name=F55>F55: teach...: or, make disciples, or, Christians of all nations
    [/FONT]
    http://bible1.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi

So, Jesus asked the Disciples to make disciples.

Then the next Disciples must have made disciples, then the next disciples would have made another disciples, even down to us. Now therefore we are the disciples of Jesus. Are you claiming that only the Catholic priests have got the Holy Tradition?

We have the Tradition enough for the worship and belief which coincide with the Bible.
    How come Purgatory, Infant Baptism, Papacy, Obligatory Celibacy, Statue Worship, Prayer to the Dead which are either contradictory to the Bible or disagree with the Bible?

Do you believe about the Purgatory?

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

For me, Matt 28:18-19 supports the concept of Tradition with the idea pf teaching and discipleship therein.

No, I don't believe in Purgatory - that was a unilateral invention of the medieval western half of the Church

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matt,
    You are inconsistent. Throughout the thread you have been supportive of Tradition and dead set against sola scriptura. But when sola scriptura shows how man-made doctrine comes up through tradition, such as celibacy, purgatory, and other such unbiblical doctrines you throw them out the window. Inevitably you give into sola scriptura admitting that the Bible becomes the supreme authority in matters concerning faith and doctrine.

19. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I don’t think Matt has been “inconsistent”, but what is consistent is that Holy Tradition has to be backed-up with Holy Scripture and vice versa. Both go hand in hand…before there was a completed table of the contented New Testament, there was Holy Tradition.

IN IC
    -

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is a joke. Where did this tradition come from? The Bible came before any tradition could even be established. As was aptly pointed, and even by Matt himself, celibacy didn't come until the 3rd or 4th centuries. It filtered into Christianity--a heretical doctrine by means of Tradition of men. But the Bible gives plenty of Scripture and example of both Apostles (like Peter) who was married; and the qualifications of a pastor who should be married. Celibacy was ruled out in the early churches. A bishop or pastor must be the husband of one wife, ruling well his own household. That leaves celibacy out in the cold doesn't it. These heretical doctrines that make their way through Tradition are wrong.