1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Scripture dictation, mechanical or otherwise

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just see that term to mean that one sees the Apostles as just starting to write down, and the Holy Spirit took therm over, almost like how in the occult there is "messages from beyond" Like going off into a "trance state"

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything written is from God the Holy Spirit. 100%

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rice believed that the word anothen (ἄνωθεν) in Luke 1:3, "from the very first" in the KJV, should have been translated "from above." He did not believe that Luke had to do research, but that the Holy Spirit supplied him with all the historical facts he needed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not how Gaussen, Rice, et al, meant it.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did not the good Dr Luke himself state though that he went out and collected the stories from the very eyewitnesses of the Lord Jesus?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am speaking towards the term of "mechanical dictation"

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One who holds to verbal plenary, but not mechanical dictation, would agree with that 100%!

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that anyone can hold to a verbal plenary Inspiration of the Bible, without it also being dictational

9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank You.

That was my point.

Each writer used different linguistic skills i would think that Mech Dict would reveal a single vocabulary, sentence structure etc.

Somebody blew me up over my comment, but he/she always blows me up. Lol.

10. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Says you!!

11. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

See, I can be much more petty than you. Haha.

Not that its right at all

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT mechanical dictation though!

13. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would either of you care to define what you mean by the term "mechanical dictation"?

Thanks.

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Bible IS The Infallible, Inerrant, Word of God to us humans. God the Holy Spirit "dictated" the very Words that the Writers of the 66 Books were to use. However, the "way" that each Writer wrote, the Holy Spirit allowed. Hence, Luke being a foremost Historian, says in Chapter 1 of his Gospel,

"Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us. They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples. Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write an accurate account for you, most honorable Theophilus, so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught" (verses 1-4)

Here we are told that Luke "carefully investigated everything from the beginning", in his own "way", to ensure that what he recorded in his Gospel, is completely factual, and trustworthy. The Holy Spirit would have "directed" Luke to what exactly he needed to "investigate", and then given Luke the exact Words to write. Matthew Mark and John probably did not use this "style" in their Writing of their Gospel.

In 1 Corinthians 7:12, for example, where Paul is giving advice on relationships, he says, "And to the rest I speak—not the Lord". In verse 10 he said, "and to the married I announce—not I, but the Lord". In verse 40 Paul tells us, "according to my judgment; and I think I also have the Spirit of God".

"mechanical dictation", removes any "human element" from the "way" the Books were written.

15. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    SGB, you’ve written on different occasions that:
    But your description of mechanical dictation you say:
    So I understand from John of Japan mechanical can just be used as a slur, which by no means is what I’m implying.

Just going by your words, you would call what you believed to have happened to be mechanical and not just dictation as you’ve stated? It seems like the human aspect is missing from your second quote I posted if they were “made” to write and were only passively instrumental.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "human" aspect is as much as they "way/style" that the Writers used, as I said with Luke, that as an historian he researched thoroughly, all that we wrote in His Gospel. I do believe however, that when it came to writing down what he had found out, that the Holy Spirit then took over and "dictated" what he should right. The end result must be that what is written, is The Word of God, and only then can it be Infallible and Inerrant. I cannot see any other way that this can be preserved in the text.

17. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the response.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would see it as being same way Muslims view the Koran, as the authors of the scriptures just wrote down what the Holy Spirit gave to them period, as they had nothing at all to do with final product other then having God move their hands to record it down. I reject that view, as do see the Lord allowing them to record as they desired based upon their own vocabulary and style and way of writing, but the Holy Spirit made sure finished product free of all errors and mistakes!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke would put together his books as a Dr would, and peter would use materials and wrote it down as a fisher man would!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Prophets and Apostles spoke and wrote unique to themselves, but were still all inspired!