1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Scripture Memorization at your Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Require it of myself? Not exactly. I memorized Scripture growing up in Christian school, in AWANA clubs, and, most recently, in the Christian Service Brigade Herald of Christ internship.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AWANA required memorization by the teachers as well as the kids. So I memorized and was tested on all the verses required by the book for the age group I was helping to lead. But alas, I cannot quote from memory those verses now. Perhaps as Fahrenheit 451 illustrates, memorization was more important when the written word was not available or could not be read.

3. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I googled the CSB. Interesting! I think my brother participated in the Royal Rangers for a little while.

Scripture memory does not come easily for me. I have some short-term and some long-term memory loss as a result of the seizures. But I have found that the process of attempting to memorize scripture forces me to interact with the passages differently. That process is of worth, even if I lose the ability to quote the verse or even remember the period of time spent memorizing it. The process of the attempt changes my heart and worldview, and that remains, even with loss of the verse itself.

The world's priorities are so fast and shallow and fickle now; scripture memorization is the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what Sinclair Ferguson says is what is more important than pure verse memorisation.

That you are able to summarise accurately the books/chapters of the bible. What is Ephesians chapter 3 about? What about the first chapter of Timothy? etc. So when we're in a discussion we know what books/chapters are relevant to the topic. Verse memorisation is useful but in my view not the most important.

For example you're to memorise Gen 2:24, but what about Gen 2:23? Memorise one verse but that verse is without context.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I keep getting taken back to the notetaking, outlining, and summary skills that I learned in my law classes.

Thanks!

6. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching the Ferguson video reminded me of the 4-color briefing methods.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Brief-Case-Quick-Study/dp/142320171X

Generally, the color coded journaling methods are color coding very surface things or applicable things, not conclusions and main points.

By the end of my paralegal studies, I was using a 4-color pen, a pencil, and a yellow highlighter very systematically. I have found myself marking up my current handwritten notes and coursebook with pencil, yellow highlight, and red pen, without any real plan, yet.

I am on lesson 6 of the WVBS Genesis course, and there is a video on doctrine that appears to be preparation for the term paper, and a bunch of videos on Noah's ark. There is so much distraction from the excellent outlines of the Bible text that are the core of the coursebook, and remind me of my law studies.

I really appreciate the link to that video, Mikey: it was timely.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like your example of the good ole Rainbow study bible!

8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It is different, and that video is the link to me understanding why they are different.

9. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did I miss that the notes in the front of my McGee Bible are similar to a legal brief? The paperback version has the following title:

Briefing the Bible
    Briefing the Bible

Sometimes things are clear enough to slap me in the face, yet I still don't see them.

10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an example of someone legal briefing by color. The colors mark the key things that lead to the final conclusion.

Case Briefing in Law School

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One nifty thing about memorization in the age of computer search engines, is I can usually remember enough (key words or phrase) so that I can bring up the verse whenever I need it to refute a bogus view. I think the version we memorized in AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed) was the KJV or possibly the NKJV. So if I search "wages of sin" my verse pops.

#31 Van, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed...... I was an AWANA kid too.... ;)

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct, and I was wrong, the word is Approved. My memory is deteriorating.
    One nifty thing about memorization in the age of computer search engines, is I can usually remember enough (key words or phrase) so that I can bring up the verse whenever I need it to refute a bogus view. I think the version we memorized in AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed - 2 Timothy 2:15) was the KJV or possibly the NKJV. So if I search "wages of sin" my verse pops.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what AWANA uses today, but when I was in AWANA 25 years ago it was KJV.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That as about the time, (maybe a few years sooner) they started to use the NKJV.

I do remember several ultra - IFB churches drop AWANA because they did use NJKV - in spite of the fact that those churches could still get the KJV!

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of Course AWANA today looks NOTHING like it did when I was in it. In my opinion, the program has changed for the worse.

17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. I think googling the KJV phrases does make scripture pop up faster in an online search: interesting.

18. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Didn't do Scripture Memorization in Seminary.
    Seminaries usually don't and shouldn't spend time on that.

They are there to give you the skillsets you can't acquire on your own, not the ones you can.
    Also, as unpopular as it will be to suggest it, rote memorization of passages of text you don't really understand is not near as meaningful as some think it is.

Knowing how to understand and apply Scripture you don't have memorized is a better skillset.

19. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone beginning seminary should have 3-4 dozen passages committed to memory - IF they take the Bible and their education seriously

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    not sure about that.