1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture relating to Black Mail?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is there any Scripture in the Bible that relates to the subject in general of Black Mail?

A case in point is that someone I know is in Bible College and someone in their church is leaning on them to do alot of additional tasks and suggesting that if they dont that they might have to give a bad report back to the college. This to me is Black Mail and I am wanting to find out if the scripture has anything to say about the subject?

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I had to read your post before realizing that the words "Black Mail" should actually be "blackmail". It's one word and not two. Then I understood what you were talking about.

Anyway, yes, it is blackmail since they are trying to force the person to do more or get reported to their college. When I went to Bible college, the college required us to be active in a church. I was also required to write evangelist letters to people I knew and submit copies of the letter. Of course, that doesn't prove you actually SENT the letters, but I did.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Could blackmail be likened to a bribe?

If you do this and that, I will not give a bad report to the college - that could be a bribe.

For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right.
    Amo 5:12

In whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes.
    Psa 26:10

And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment.
    1Sa 8:3

He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;
    Isa 33:15

4. His Blood Spoke My Name

Matthew 18:15 (KJV) Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
    Matthew 18:16 (KJV) But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
    Matthew 18:17 (KJV) And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
    could this be an argument for blackmail? ROFL

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That man has only once choice if Jesus is his Lord. If I were him I would document every occurance with the exact times and dates and with notes about their discussions. If a charge is ever brought against him or he is mad-mouthed he will have documentation.

Eccl. 7:7, "For oppression makes a wise man mad, And a bribe corrupts the heart."

1 Cor. 15:33 "Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

James 1:16, 17, "Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

Gal. 6:7, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap."

Prov. 28:1 "The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, But the righteous are bold as a lion."

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you all for your responses, I will pass them on!

I am thinking that this may be a case of language, where the english term blackmail may not have a direct translation as such.