1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scriptures that appear to Teach against limited Atonement ! -

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

1 Tim 2:4 cont

It is written in Isa 53:10, that the pleasure [desire, delight,longing] of the Lord shall prosper [be accomplished] in His[Jesus Christ] Hand. And we linked this with the Fathers will and desire it is to have all men saved and that they come into the knowledge of the Truth. So, that puts the responsibility into the Hands of His Son, to do His will, His Pleasure.

The Will or Pleasure or desire of the Lord [The Father God] shall prosper in His Hand.

Another confirmation that Paul has in mind the blessings of the New Covenant in 1 Tim 2:4, is that Paul mentions all types of prayers for all classes of men vs 1-3

1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

This denotes he had an eye to the New Covenant Promise that all classes and types of men would come to Know God Heb 8:11b

11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Now could it be the ALL here is the same ALL in 1 Tim 2:4 ?

Notice again how the classes of men are mentioned in Heb 8 " from the least to the greatest. The least would imply the poor and common, and the greatest would imply Kings and people in Authority.

So 1 Tim 2:4 is Paul's acknowledging the benefits and applications of the New Covenant Blessings upon all sorts, types and classes of men. For Just think of the blessing it would be if God converted some that were in government during their time, when political rulers in those days set themselves against the cause of Christ and persecuted believers more so than in our days.

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Comments on 1 Jn 2:2

1 Jn 2:2

2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Even though the propitiation was for the sins of the whole world,as to scope, it was nevertheless limited to a specific people, the seed of Abraham, we learn this from Heb 2:17 which reads:

17Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

The word reconciliation here is the greek word hilaskomai, a greek verb that means:

to render one's self, to appease, conciliate to one's self

a) to become propitious, be placated or appeased

b) to be propitious, be gracious, be merciful

2) to expiate, make propitiation for

Its the same word used in Lk 18:13 as merciful.

Now 1 Jn 2:2 has the same word used only in its noun form instead of its verb form. Its the word hilasmos:

an appeasing, propitiating

2) the means of appeasing, a propitiation

Now anyone should see its the same meaning !

Now we can discern more in understanding the word and this act of God, by seeing how its used in Heb 2:17, for the scripture is consistent and will not contradict itself!

Now we discover here in the inspired Hebrew passage that this propitiation was premised on Christ being a kinsman redeemer.

This propitiation commenced with Christ taking on flesh and blood as did the Children Heb 2:14

14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

What Children ? These are the Children of God, they were the Children of God by election, election in their elder brother, the Lord Jesus Christ before the world began[Eph 1:4]. Now the Children took on flesh and blood in their creation in adam, and in him, as he became their natural head, they contracted sin and death, by violating God's Law, which at the time was summed up in the single command Gen 2:16-17

16And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Thus becoming transgressors in adam, they[The Children of God] needed reconciliation, propitiation. So because they sinned in flesh and blood, He took on the same, to be made like unto The Children or His brethren as stated here Heb 2:17a

17Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren,

So the Children were also his brethren Heb 2:11-12

11For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one[seed]: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

12Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee

Though His brethren had corrupted themselves in their transgression in adam, He was not ashamed to own them as His brethren, the Children of God.

So His becoming or taking on flesh and blood was not an identification with all mankind, but with an specific segment, the seed of Abraham Heb 2:16

16For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Thats very important to understand, and i will explain why next.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

So His becoming or taking on flesh and blood was not an identification with all mankind, but with an specific segment, the seed of Abraham Heb 2:16

16For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Thats very important to understand, and i will explain why next.

Its this seed of Abraham, who are " The People" of Heb 2:17b

17Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation[propitiation] for the sins of the people.

In the greek The People is tou laou, the people preceded by the definite article The, so the propitiation is for a specific and definite people, the seed of Abraham, a Chosen Covenant People.

Now why is that the scope of this propitiation in 1 Jn 2:2 the Whole world if its limited to a specific people, the seed of Abraham ?

Thats a good and fair question. Here is the answer, its because Abraham had a seed, not just in the nation of Israel, but He had Children given Him in all nations of the earth and in all generations. Gen 17:5-7

5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

6And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

7And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

You see, those whom God spoke of to Abraham, that He had made Abraham a Father of, in the many nations, were also Abraham's seed of promise, as Isaac was. Gal 4:28. Abraham's seed was in every nation covering the scope of the whole World.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You see, those whom God spoke of to Abraham, that He had made Abraham a Father of, in the many nations, were also Abraham's seed of promise, as Isaac was. Gal 4:28. Abraham's seed was in every nation covering the scope of the whole World.

Abraham was made the Father of many nations, not just the nation of israel, his descendants according to the flesh. Now Abraham had a spiritual seed in the nation of israel [remnant] but He also had a seed in Egypt, Ethiopia, USA, Russia, Germany, South America, even every nation on earth. So when we read 1 Jn 2:2, that He [Jesus Christ, the seed of Abraham Gal 3:16] is the propitiation or reconciliation not only for our sins [jews] but also for the whole world [gentiles] it is simply stating, that Christ is the propitiation for the entire seed of Abraham of the Many Nations of the world. Because remember in order to make this reconciliation or propitiation, this redemption, He must have had a kinsmen redeemer relationship with them of which He did, for they were all of one Father, one purpose from before the foundation Eph 1:4

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Heb 2:11

11For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Jn 17:23-24

23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

What about 2 Pet 3:9 ?

2 Pet 3:9

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Many today have wrested this scripture out of its context to falsely suppose and teach that God wills the Salvation of all mankind, or that He is not willing that any of all mankind Perish in their sins.

There are so many ways to refute that falsity and to show that this scripture no way supports such an falsehood.

The will of God here referred to here is an effectual will, the greek word here used boulomai not only is His will but also His will of counsel, that counsel of His will, according to which He effectually works Himself.

to will deliberately, have a purpose, be minded

The word is used here of God James 1:18

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

So the Apostle Peter is referring to those whom God has purposed, and resolved that they shall not Perish, but whom He has resolved to save.

Again the word is used with God willing to show the Immutability of His counsel Heb 6:17

17Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Yes it was the immutability of His counsel that He of His own will beget He us with the word of Truth James 1:18 !

So those of you who think that 2 Pet 3:9 is God just wishfully willing that those whom He is not willing to perish,have a possibility of perishing, then you have been deceived. They will not Perish, but will obtain Salvation. Notice vs 15 of the same passage:

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation;

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

2 Pet 3:9

The Apostle Peter here has as his aim to explain why it was so long for Christ to come in Judgment on this world. It was in order that none of the elect would perish but that they too would obtain the Salvation with Eternal Glory in Christ Jesus as Paul states here. 2 Tim 2:10

10Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Peter perhaps wrote this epistle in 67-68 Ad right before His being put to death. And God had elect yet to be born into the world. So Christ would delay His coming until all the elect of all generations up unto the very last one, would delay until they all had been born sinners and experience the Salvation of the Lord. So they all must come to repentance before the Second Coming of their Lord.

When Peter wrote the Lord is Longsuffering to us-ward, by us He means the elect, and even possibly, he may even mean all jewish elect, or those of the jewish nation, of which he and they, those he was now writing were a part of. I personally would rather believe that peter did also mean the gentile elect as well, in view of His valuable lesson God taught him with Cornelius, though after that, he remained primarily a laborer amongst the jews as per Gal 2:7

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

The gist however is that God still had many elect, whether jew or gentile that needed to be born sinners and experience their salvation by Christ, and so the Second Coming could not occur until the very last one has been granted gospel repentance.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

2 Pet 2:1

1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Many believe this scripture supports the erroneous teaching that Jesus Christ died for all mankind, but the scripture says nothing of the sort.

The First thing to note is that Peter calls these teachers false teachers, which is to also mean false brethren as per 2 Cor 11:26

In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

This denotes, that in spite of their profession of Faith, they were not True believers of the Household of Faith.

The whole assumption is made because of the word phrase bought them.

Denying the Lord [despot] that bought them. The word for bought is the greek word agorazō and means:

to be in the market place, to attend it

2) to do business there, buy or sell

3) of idle people: to haunt the market place, lounge there

The word denotes ownership, making someone or something one's property.

What the word does not mean is redeem, as in exagorazo and means to buy out as in Gal 3:13;4:5

13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

5To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

It is also not the word lutroo which means:

"to release on receipt of ransom" (akin to lutron, "a ransom"), is used in the Middle Voice, signifying "to release by paying a ransom price, to redeem"

Titus 2:14

14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 Pet 1:18

18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

We know that bought in 2 Pet 1:1 cannot have this meaning because these are redeemed from all iniquity and from vain conversation or manner of life, which is impossible for a false teacher.

So the Point is, we can be bought without necessarily being redeemed.

One can be owned by Jesus Christ, He their Master, but not redeemed by Him , by His blood.

Notice Matt 13:

37He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

Notice that in vs 38 the field is the world kosmos This same world is Identified as His Kingdom in vs 41, His being the Son of Man of vs 37

44Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

So until this separation at the end of the age, both the Tares and Wheat are in His Kingdom or His World.

All things are under His feet as The Mediatorial King over the Church.

Eph 1:22

And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Underneath this headship are False teachers in the Church. Paul said their heresies must be, in order that those who are approved of God may be made manifest. 1 Cor 11:19

19For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Thats a purpose of God and Christ to permit false teachers among the True Believers, that they which are approved may be made manifested or evident.

Now that word heresies here in 1 Cor 11:18 is the same word in 2 Pet 2:1

So those false teachers were owned or bought for that purpose in Christ Church.

They were permitted [by being ordained Jude 1:4] into the covenant community of God's People, to promote these damnable heresies, that God's True Covenant People might be made manifest. This is all God's doing and Purpose.

Both their heresies and denying the Lord were purposed for them to do, ordained or written before hand for them to do.

So, 2 Pet 2:1 supposing to teach that Christ died for all without exception, that He shed His blood for these False teachers, can not be supported from this scripture, and most certainly from the ones to follow in that context of that chapter.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is not a thread for SBM theology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.