1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripturs on going to church and fellowship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by fl_camaro2, Oct 6, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does that fit in with Mt. 6:33?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

The word 'church' or 'ekklēsia' (assembly) is singular in its usage speaking in general form of a singular gathering of people (ie. the/a group).
    However it is plural in what the word describes (those people who have gathered) which is essentially understood as "the called out ones" and not the called out 'one'.

#22 Allan, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'll take the blame for derailing the thread. However, even in our discussion of the universal vs local church, I think it is abundantly clear that believers should assemble together, fellowship together, worship together, study the Word together. The Great Commission was given to an assembled gathering. Paul gave instructions on how to behave when assembled.

fl_camaro, I don't think you can argue one into going to church who really doesnt' want to go. You've got plenty of scriptures to use now, but I suggest you also simply tell your friend to read the scriptures.

4. fl_camaro2

fl_camaro2 New Member

Thanks guys, I got a lot from y'all. I know I can't make him go by just saying he is suppose to go gut it just ended up in the conversation. As I talk to him it will take a lot of talking to convince him (nothing short of a mirricale) to repent and accepct Jesus. But that dosen't mean I can't try. I am better prepaid for others now and keep my bible on me at work.

Don't worry about thread jacking, it lead to a intresting conversation. I personaly don't see how a universal church could work as you never have sunday school or chat with the other members or help with the ongoings of the church unless you are where ther universal is being taped.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have zero will power to keep my mouth shut when the subject of the Universal Church comes up, even if it derails the thread into rabbit-chasing.

It's a pretty hot-button issue for both camps, too. When I see the term tossed around, I become like Pavlov's dog, salivating at the opportunity to push the hot buttons on the other side, knowing that some of them will really get bent out of shape about it. The devil makes me do it.

I also love to mix metaphors, as you can see.