1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SDA adding to Sripture?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, May 18, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am funny that way. I do not rely on name-calling to make my point - I prefer to let the Word of God speak.

Glad more and more people on this board are noticing this - every day.

in Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is yet another example of the Word of God speaking and name calling being set aside and left for others to employ.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Welcome back, and honestly mean that. These clowns, along with the RCC, have been attacking Baptist distinctives for weeks. I cannot figure out why they are here. They have either not read the Bible, do not know how to divide the Word, or are just plain stupid.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

She is a false prophet, hands down. A true prophet, besides giving correct Words from God, does not isolate theirselves to a small cult of people. For all I know, she was a stripper by night.

5. targus

targus New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

The false prophet in question suffered a closed head injury at a young age that put her in a coma for weeks and which no doubt caused serious brain damage.

She seems to have actually believed all of the truly whacky nonsense that Bob Ryan has bought hook, line and sinker.

6. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes BR you only quote scripture... out of context and with lots of your misguided commentary.

Since we're not buying into your misinterpretations why don't you follow this admonition and find a SDA or pentecostal board where you can have fellowship with like minded people.

And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

#26 SovereignMercy, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks. It is all part of the "Give me the BIBLE AND the Words IN the Bible" approach to sola-scriptura testing of all doctrine.

While some are focused on "Give me just the Bible and not much of it at that" - I prefer the actual words in the Bible not just the "saying" of "Give me the Bible".

This is why I am free to read and accept these texts without having to carp about them each time I see them posted.

--------------------------

James 2 - we are told that "HE WHO SAID do not commit Adultery also said do not murder" James 2:11.

Question -- WHO is the "He who said"? God? or Moses?

In 2Pet 1:20-21 Peter said that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of an individual preference or interpretation - but rather "holy men of old moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from GOD" - so is Peter arguing that it is the word of the "holy man of old" or the Word of God that is the result?

In 1Thess 2 Paul argues that when the faithful saints heard the message of Paul then did NOT regard it is "merely the word of a very very wise person named Paul" -- what DID They regard inspired teaching as - according to Paul in 1Thess 2:13.

The OP is questioning how the gift of prophecy works - as if we must ignore what the Bible says about it.

Are the words of Peter and Paul taken because they are themselves small gods according to the Bible - or because they are in fact inspired by the One true God.

1Cor 14 "each one has a revelation"

I prefer - "Give me the BIBLE - AND the Words IN the Bible".

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about quoting that the EVEM MORE sure prophetic word from God is in his scriptures, as per peter?

NO MORE prophets given to the church by God, no more ongoing revelations!

Aprophet ALWAYS was true in what they said would come to pass, Ellen white was not, she fails the test!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed it is "a text in the Bible" - but Peter did not say "no more prophets" nor "no more prophesying" nor "when I die no more prophesying" nor "When the last prophet alive today dies - then no more prophesying".

To "insert" that into the text (eisegesis in pure form) would be to bend-wrench the text such that Peter is calling John a false prophet - and indeed himself a false prophet for having a prophetic statement after writing the dead-end verse that you have transubtantiated it into.

in Christ,

Bob

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have NO MORE inspired revealtion from God since Revelation itself, and Ellen white failed the tests to be considered a real one/prophet! correct?

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isaiah 30:
    8 Now go, write it on a tablet before them
    And inscribe it on a scroll,
    That it may serve in the time to come
    As a witness forever.

9 For this is a rebellious people, false sons,
    Sons who refuse to listen
    To the instruction of the Lord;
    10 Who say to the seers, “You must not see visions”;
    And to the prophets, “You must not prophesy to us what is right,
    Speak to us pleasant words,
    Prophesy illusions.
    11 “Get out of the way, turn aside from the path,
    Let us hear no more about the Holy One of Israel.” 12 Therefore thus says the Holy One of Israel,
    “Since you have rejected this word
    And have put your trust in oppression and guile, and have relied on them,
    13 Therefore this iniquity will be to you

1 Thess 5:19-20
    19 Do not quench the Spirit;
    20 do not despise prophetic utterances.

Eph 4:4-14
    11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. 14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;

Rev 22:
    8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. 9 But he *said to me, “Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God.”

1 Cor 14:1
    14 Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation. 4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

Thus the WORD of God is clear on this doctrine - but the traditions of man will often flatly contradict and oppose the WORD of God - so we must expect that.

As for me - give me the Bible AND the WORDS IN the Bible.

in Christ,

Bob

#31 BobRyan, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Cor 14 -
    [FONT=&quot]...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]26 What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]EACH ONE HAS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a psalm, has a teaching, has a
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]REVELATION[/FONT][FONT=&quot], has a TONGUE, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

Give me the Bible AND the Words IN The Bible.

in Christ,

Bob

[/FONT]

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Spiritual Gifts - remain until the 2nd coming

Eph 4:4-14
    11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. 14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;

[FONT=&quot]1 John 3 tells tells us about as much as we can know of that "measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" -
    2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. 1 John 3.

As does Paul affirm that same point in 1Cor 13.
    12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

[/FONT]Give me the Bible AND the Words IN the Bible.

in Christ,

Bob

#33 BobRyan, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones needed for the church to have did, but NOT the revelatory in natures ones like Tongues/prophecy etc!

And the offices of both Apostles/prophets ceased also!

the SDA NEEDS that to be still in force, as they must hve Ellen White and her teachings/revelations...

take her away, SDA comes crushing down, as built upon false prophetess, NOT word of god!

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again "you quote you" to ignore the parts of Eph 4 and 1 Cor 12 and 1 Cor 14 and 1Thess 5:19-20 and Isaiah 30:8-11 that you don't like.

Is the objective unbiased read "not supposed notice"?? Recall there was a thread recently pointing to the fact that the Baptist group in America is shrinking while the Catholic population is growing. Maybe they have the corner on the market for "you quote you" type solutions. They do it better. Why compete with them in that arena why not resort instead to the Protestant solution of sola-scriptura testing of ALL doctrine - even the one you are proposing now?

And of course we only have "you quote you" even for your own accusations pretending that my response to questions about SDA doctrine - is nothing but an appeal to Ellen White - or possibly must rely on at least some authoritative statement from Ellen White. An accusation about the defense for SDA doctrine on this board - that you and I know you cannot back up with actual fact.

in Christ,

Bob

#35 BobRyan, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

What do you mean, Bob, is this DESIRABLE?!

This is DEPLORABLE and Paul laments the splintered situation.

#36 Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In 1Cor 14 Paul does not say "do not seek for spiritual gifts" nor does He say "I wish you all had no spiritual gifts". In fact he argues for the opposite.

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

In 1Corinthians 14 the text you quoted, Paul DENOUNCES every bit and aspect of the condition those congregations were in and BOASTED about.

Do you seek and wish the same for the Church of Christ?!

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul writes in favor of BOTH order AND Spiritual gifts in 1Cor 14.

This is impossible to ignore when reading the chapter.

At no point does Paul "Blame the Holy Spirit" or "Blame" the 1Cor 12 gifts of the Spirit as being the problem in Corinth.

That much is pretty hard to miss.

in Christ,

Bob

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

That much is pretty hard to miss and impossible to ignore when reading the chapter, the problem in Corinth at that point in time was both The Holy Spirit and the >1Cor 12 gifts of the Spirit< as being vaingloriously ABUSED.