1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SDA adding to Sripture?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, May 18, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At no point does Paul say the Holy Spirit was a problem only the order that the church members were using was called into question - in the actual text of scripture. Thus Paul said "DESIRE earnestly spiritual gifts but especially that you may prophesy" as his opening in Chapter 14.

As I said before - this part is pretty hard to miss.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is impossible to miss Paul's time as being the point in time of the apostolic spiritual gifts earnestly to be desired, "especially that you may prophesy"; it is impossible to miss the apostolic spiritual gifts did not unadulterated exist in the Corinthian Church; it is impossible to miss the apostolic spiritual gifts extend not until after 1844.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    indeed - that is impossible to miss.

His letter is not of the form "Spiritual Gifts are to be desired until you finish reading this letter - and then they end".

And we both know it.

Neither is there a single word in that letter that is of the form "When I die - so also should your Spiritual Gifts" -- in fact Eph 4 claims just the opposite.

in Christ,

Bob

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Except you ignore that Paul says the gifts will cease. Also, as has been shown to you several times in the form of a time line, there is no mention of those gifts in Paul's latter letters.

My gut feeling is that you have never seen any of these gifts physically manifested. I do not think you have ever seen anyone raised from the dead, legitimately healed, heard a true word of prophecy from the Lord, or seen or heard someone speak in tongues that was not self induced babble. The babbler no doubt took the message further by interpreting it, then edifying the congregation in some manner, just not from the Lord.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul does not say "The gifts will cease as soon as I finish this letter" and we all know that.

Paul does not say "The gifts will cease as soon as John dies" and we all know that.

Paul does not say "the gifts will cease in about 50 years" and we all know that.

Paul does not say "scripture is currently - insufficient, God's Word is currently incomplete but as soon as the Canon of the New Testament is finished then the gifts will cease".

in fact it would have been impossible for him to insist that there would be no more Pastors or Teachers, or faith, or helps or ... as listed in the gifts - even by Baptist standards. So the convoluted teaching of some has to be "not all the gifts - but some will cease at some point in the future when John finishes his contribution to the canon of scripture'.

And there my friends is a "doctrine" that all of us know will never be found in all of scripture. It is pure man-made-tradition with no hope of finding it in the word of God.

What we do have for "ceasing" is that Pastors, teachers, Evangelists, prophets all cease in that future day when we "no longer see in a glass darkly - but rather face to face" 1Cor 13 for as John says in 1John 3 "when He appears - we shall see him as he is for we shall be like him".

That is about as close as it gets to a discussion of all these gifts ceasing in the future.

I am one of those that count Eph 4 and 1Cor 12 and 1Tim 4 as being part of what Paul wrote in his letters. Maybe I am the only one on this board that views it that way - but I can assure you there are others out there - perhaps not on this board.

In all of those - I do not argue that the modern gift of tongues is anything at all related to the Bible gift of tongues. It is simply fake. But the fact that a counterfeit is available does not mean that the genuine does not exist.

in Christ,

Bob

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    office of a prophet/Apostle CEASED after Apostolic Age, and prophecy in a local Church ceased in a revealtory since, as we now had the full wor dof God to the church!

Ellen White false prophetess!

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I quote the Bible - you respond by quoting yourself - and then blaming Ellen White for the scriptures I quote.

I know why the Catholics quote the Pope sometimes after I quote the Bible - but why are you doing that?

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormons/JW/RCC all quote the Bible, as does the SDA, NONE teaching and :rightly dividing the Word' though!